Official tMP Midlands Regional 2008 thread

postie

6th place for us quite pleased overall although we are still carrying an 18th from 2006 which affects us slightly. It actually does though put us in very good shape for next year according to my unofficial grading table. Don't worry mods I will not put it on!!!!

Since no one else has congratulated them, well done Desford.

It was worth the wait at the end of a very long day!

Well done 'Wales' on your first contest with the band

Di iawn ! cymru am Byth,

Last edited:

mr b

A fantastic result for Melton Band - they scrabbled about at the bottom of the 4th section since deciding to get back into contesting, took on a new MD this year, and it's obviously paid off... I hope they're really proud of their 7th position. Top 5 next year eh?! Well done to Leigh Blankley, the new man in the middle, and to my dad who's Chairman of the band and puts quite a lot of work into it! Nice one!!!

Cheers Dan,

The "Old Man" & "Nev" allmost had a tear in their eyes. Super result, some hard work done & could not have wished for a better result. Onward`s & upwards, looking forward to the charity concert with
"The Melton Band" & "The Forester`s Band" @ the "Melton Theatre" in April.

See you soon.

Lee :)

Congratulations to Desford! 2 from 2 this year, onwards and upwards.
well done GUS, quality shone through it would seem.
was not there as I am on tour in USA.

Will be back for cambridge!

all the best,

Paul

Last edited:
Cubbington will have 34.5 - 2 averages and a 17.

Apologies, my computer rounded up - I should have checked closer - yes Cubbington will have 34.5.

mod edit: to avoid these kind of mistakes, please wait for the offical league tables to be published...

Last edited by a moderator:

ian_b

Just want to say well done to all members of Croft, who came 2nd yesterday in 4th section. Excellent result for all the hard work put in by all players and especially for our M.D on his 1st contest.

Ian

Well Done Kibworth

Could I pass on my congratulations to all of the hardworking stalwarts at Kibworth in achieving their best result in the Champ section for 25 years or so. Having lost so many key players in the last year to even compete was an achievement in itself. Particular mention must go to the Smith family, Ted, Mark and Carol who hold things together when most would throw in the towel and to the youngsters who came up from the youth band - well done to you all. Keep it going.

Jeremy Wise

Hi Jeremy

I'll second that - what a tremendous achievement given how things have gone in the last few months for the band. Congratulations to you all at Kibworth and keep it going - I think you owe Mr Wise a big thankyou!!!!

Mike

Flugelgeoff

Having driven from north Norfolk to Bedworth (my old stomping ground with Coventry imps!) I would like to congratulate your organising committee for putting on such a well organised, smoothly run day at the Civic hall. How you manage to do this at the cost is remarkable. For those at other areas, to enter the auditorium for both second section and championship was a total of £6.00. Add the programme cost which if I remember was £2.00 and the cost of a coffee and a bacon sandwich for £3.00 what a great package. The whole event ran very smoothly with the marshalling of bands on and off stage as simple as could be. Add to that the delight of listening to GUS Desford and one or two other top class performances and this was a day made in heaven. Well done to all concerned!!
Geoff Barber

kibsolobari

Hi Jeremy

I'll second that - what a tremendous achievement given how things have gone in the last few months for the band. Congratulations to you all at Kibworth and keep it going - I think you owe Mr Wise a big thankyou!!!!

Mike

indeed we do owe a great debt and a big thankyou to jeremy for his hard work with the band, not only the time spent in front of the band but also the work done at home, i would like to thank the members for sticking with it through fairly thin times hopefully this will be the boost we need to get back on track. also the people who stepped into to make sure we got to the contest

thanks

Mark Smith
Band Manager

marksmith

Bedworth experience

The Civic Hall proved to be a winner on the day and certainly an improvement on Burton.
There was much bemusement at the start of the Championship section, when 10-12 people arrived at the door at 1.55pm, to be refused entry for the 2.00pm start. Maybe a 10 minute warning could be issued prior to the sections starting? That aside, very good organisation.
Some great opportunities to catch up with long-missed friends and banding colleagues were found, as well as some well earned results.
The adjudicators were a little disappointed with the Midlands top section and felt that little 'Romance' was to be found. To a degree it is easy to see their point of view, however, the performances from Desford and Gus were impressive reflections of Eric Ball's composition.
From a personal point of view, I was disappointed with my own band's 9th placing, as they are a fine group of musicians and gave a good, solid performance. Still, what do I know and adjudication is mostly subjective and self-opinionated?
An enjoyable contest and a credit to the regional committee.
Finally, well done to my many friends at Amington and City of Coventry, for their well deserved wins. Mark Smith ( Walsall ).:clap:

stephen2001

I'll probably face the wrath of the 2nd Section, but never mind!

One thing that I noticed is that in sections 1, 3 and 4, there were 18, 17 and 23 bands competing respectively, yet in the 2nd Section, there were only 11. Is it not about time that there was a bit of re-jigging to balance out the sections again?
If the unofficial calculations here are correct, there will be a net gain of one band in the 4th section (3 relegated and 2 promoted), and if more bands like Pleasley and Chapel-en-le-Frith reform, there may be more than 25 bands competing, in my opinion far too many, especially if there are only a dozen in the second section.

That said, it was an enjoyable day.

As a player yesterday and as an official today I thought the school was an excellent venue - space, parking, space, a proper warm up room, space, canteen, tradestands, space etc. etc.

I disagree about the parking. Our coach had to park in town, which is why Whitwell's trombone player (me!) was late onto the stage because I was giving our driver 20 minutes notice to get back to pick up our percussion! Other than that, it was a good venue, and close enough to the town to get food and drink.

IJK

I must agree with Stephen there are to many bands now in the fourth section. How can we have 23 this year and Yorkshire have 10??????

Dont get me wrong it is great to see the new and old bands coming back in to the contest movement even when Pleasley had only 18 players on stage and only one bass (Well done and even got a good result).

Anyway a great day and I do agree it is a better venue than Burton but that doesnt take much to beat.

Well done to the everyone who played yesterday and hope to see you all next year

DanB

One slight concern from us about the venue... No warm-up / tune-up / team-talk room. We tried tuning up in the room where we got changed and left our cases, but got told off by a steward. I know all bands had the same situation, so it didn't anyone an unfair advantage or anything like that, but did seem a shame.

Other than that though - really liked playing in the hall, parking was fine and great to have a few beers at the venue. A vast improvement and, if they can sort out the issue of a warm-up room, very much looking forward to coming back to Bedworth next year. Well done Lesley, good choice!!

Carryon_Cornet

I think you hit it on the head: it's subjective. If you try to second-guess the adjudicator then you'll likely produce a mechanical and unmusical performance that won't impress. Much better to find your own interpretation, based on the score but not limited by it. If you're competent enough as a band to master your interpretation (and so few bands are by the way) then you'll convince most adjudicators whether they would have done it that way or not. Of course the flip side of this is that any adjudicator who isn't willing to be impressed by a different interpretation is past his sell-by-date. As are the deaf ones.

Anyway, point is: don't assume that playing all the notes in the right order at the right volume and tempo is enough. It almost never is.

I agree entirely with your comments and the point I was making about it being subjective is obvious BUT.... in the 1st section which has a large number of bands there has to be some continuity within the marks. I don't believe our remarks sit with the performance we gave.

Surely the foundation of your interpretation has to what is actually written not what is interpretted. I realise that one leads to another but does one bands performance rank lower than another bands just because of the adjudicator's pre-conceived ideas on a piece?

Also playing all the rights notes and tempo is FUNDAMENTAL. How you can you place a band higher even though their tempos were incorrect or solos missed. Surely.....unless I'm completely missing the point..... a complete performance must indeed include ALL these ingredients not SOME!!!!

I'm slowly climbing off my soap box......

lynchie

On the venue : The college was a vast improvement on the Belvedere or the Town hall. No walking outside after warming up, enough changing space for a decent number of bands to overlap, acoustic was ok - perhaps a bit loud.

On the size of the sections : We haven't had that debate about splitting the midlands in two for a while. Still seems like a good idea to me.

On the tempos : As important as they are, they're nowhere near sound, balance, tuning, ensemble etc. Having not heard the first section, I can't comment on individual performances.

Carryon_Cornet

On the tempos : As important as they are, they're nowhere near sound, balance, tuning, ensemble etc. Having not heard the first section, I can't comment on individual performances.
[/QUOTE]

We didn't get slated for these things though!!!

Tempo was mentioned several times!!!

Its so baffling!!!!

I LOVE CONTESTING!!!!