'Official' Scottish Open Thread

sharpnote

drummergurl said:
genius idea!! :clap: :woo

heehee :biggrin: then we can get a new bigger one with a big stand too :rolleyes: teehee

snowmen, snowangels and tamtam sledging!! heehee could be fun! :biggrin:

sharpnote- excellent idea! i think each band should nominate a team for snowman building championships! 1 snowman per band to be built! heehee that would be proper amazing!

hahaha

Are you going to Glasgow on Sunday??

HorniKaz

Supporting Member
Us Freckles (!!!!!!) are going up to *sunny/rainy/snowy/foggy Glasgow today!

Please can everyone stop encouraging Sarah to use the tamtam as a sledge. She's bound to break something if she does & I don't fancy spending the night in A & E with her. Snow angels & snowmen, yes. Although, knowing her, she'll still manage to break an arm or leg doing that!! :tongue:

MRSH

Supporting Member
Courtesy of 4barsrest

Scottish Open Championship

Venue: Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow
Music: Own Choice test piece
Adjudicators: Richard Evans and David Horsfield

Results:

1. Fishburn, Ray Farr, 5
2. Kirkintilloch Band, Steve Bastable, 11
3. SWT Woodfalls, David Barringer, 17
4. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Allan Ramsay, 16
5. Kirkintilloch Kelvin Brass, Alistair Orr, 9
6. Whitburn, Andy Duncan, 13
7. Wingates, Phillip McCann, 10
8. Freckleton, Paul Dalton, 14
9. Scottish Co-op Band, Frank Renton, 1
10. Johnstone Silver, Chris Bradley, 15
11. Dobcross Silver, Dennis Hadfield, 2
12. Kingdom Brass, Graham O'Connor, 6
13. Newtongrange Silver Band, Steve Sykes, 3
14. Besses o' th' Barn, James Cant, 12
15. Unison Kinneil, Andrew Berryman, 4
16. Bon Accord Silver, Duncan Beckley, 8
17. Bo'ness & Carriden, Bryan Keachie, 7

4barsrest.com best soloist:
Princpal Cornet, Kirkintilloch

critic

Scottish Open

Well done Fishburn on winning the title. For the seccond year running the title comes back to england ITHINK THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF COMMENTS ABOUT THE RESULT BUT THE JUDGES ARE THE ONES THAT COUNT.

BbBill

Supporting Member
Thats the Campbeltown band finally rolled off the bus! For once we mite be home before alot of the rest of the bands!!

An enjoyable day, if tiring, (5am start!) and some surprising results all round, although prob well deserved but I only heard a couple of bands, which was a pity, as I was running about shouting at our band kids most of the day!

Was good to catch up with Doog (besses) and Claire from Carlton again after the YABB trip, although when I was speaking to her, did I meet Hornikaz (karen, Freckleton) in the passing, although we didnt say anything and just remember thinking was it you for some reason, not sure???!!! (Shouldve said hello, but didnt, sorry! was slightly drunk, thats the 2nd time I think Ive spotted you, once at whit fri and then today?!) I was the ginger headed guy with the black fleece, just remember thinking it was you when you passed by us?! Maybe you dont mind, sorry!!

Anyway a good day out, pity the organisers hadnt made a list of pieces that the bands in the open were playing at the start of the day, so you knew what you were going in to listen to.

BbBill

Supporting Member
Full Results from 4br:

1. Fishburn, Ray Farr, 5
2. Kirkintilloch Band, Steve Bastable, 11
3. SWT Woodfalls, David Barringer, 17
4. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Allan Ramsay, 16
5. Kirkintilloch Kelvin Brass, Alistair Orr, 9
6. Whitburn, Andy Duncan, 13
7. Wingates, Phillip McCann, 10
8. Freckleton, Paul Dalton, 14
9. Scottish Co-op Band, Frank Renton, 1
10. Johnstone Silver, Chris Bradley, 15
11. Dobcross Silver, Dennis Hadfield, 2
12. Kingdom Brass, Graham O'Connor, 6
13. Newtongrange Silver Band, Steve Sykes, 3
14. Besses o' th' Barn, James Cant, 12
15. Unison Kinneil, Andrew Berryman, 4
16. Bon Accord Silver, Duncan Beckley, 8
17. Bo'ness & Carriden, Bryan Keachie, 7

4barsrest.com best soloist:
David Prentice, Princpal Cornet, Kirkintilloch

Scottish Challenge Shield

Venue: Main Auditorium
Adjudicators: Nigel Boddice & Bryan Allan
Test Piece: Own Choice

Results:

1. Dalmellington, Archie Hutchison
2. Granite City Brass, Edward Paley
3. Clackmannan District, Bruce Wallace
4. Lochgelly, Jim Chamberlain
5. Dunaskin Doon, John Boax

Scottish Challenge Cup

Venue: The Strathclyde Suite
Adjudicators: Alan Hope & Steve Prichard Jones
Test Piece: Own Choice

Results:

1. Dalkeith and Monktonhall Colliery, David McLoed
2. Tullis Russell Mills, John Maines
3. Dunfermline Town, David Neil
4. Bon Accord ‘B’, Bruce Wallace
5. Campbeltown Brass, Craig Anderson
6. Coalburn Silver, Gareth Bowman
7. Newland Concert Brass, Mark Bell
8. City of Discovery, Bruce Fraser
9. MacTaggart Scott Loanhead, Alan Fernie
10. Jedforest Instrumental, Alan Fernie

Scottish Youth Championships

Venue: Strathclyde Suite
Starts: 1.30approx
Adjudicators: David James and Charles Keenan

Community Section:

Queensferry High School, Gareth Ross, Gold (1)
Auchinleck Academy, Stephen Boyd, Silver (2)

Development section

Jedforest Juniors, Cameron Mabon, Gold (1)
Loanhead Brass Roots, Alan Fernie, Gold (2)
Campbeltown Junior Brass, Katrina Barr, Silver (3)

Premier Section:

Aberdeen City Youth Band, Eric Kidd, Gold (2)
Moray Concert Brass, Glenn Monro, Silver (1)
West Lothian Schools, Nigel Boddice, Gold (1)

HorniKaz

Supporting Member
BbBill said:
did I meet Hornikaz (karen, Freckleton) in the passing, although we didnt say anything and just remember thinking was it you for some reason, not sure???!!! (Shouldve said hello, but didnt, sorry! was slightly drunk, thats the 2nd time I think Ive spotted you, once at whit fri and then today?!) I was the ginger headed guy with the black fleece, just remember thinking it was you when you passed by us?! Maybe you dont mind, sorry!!

Next time you think you see me just shout my name & I'll say hi (if it was me). Pretty easy to spot cos I now have a walking out uniform & I'm only 5' 2" :(

Anyway, that was my 1st Scottish Open. What a fab hall to play in & great facilities for warming up etc, although the pillar in the middle of the room was a bit inconvenient. Our MD had no body, just a right arm :tongue: Congrats to all the winning bands & a :clap: for the SBBA for such a well run contest.

AndyCat

critic said:
Well done Fishburn on winning the title. For the seccond year running the title comes back to england ITHINK THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF COMMENTS ABOUT THE RESULT BUT THE JUDGES ARE THE ONES THAT COUNT.

HeHe! You may be right! Love to see a criteria for the different ways of judging. After Fishburns performance (which I heard before anyone goes on) we discussed the possibilities!
a) "Slips" (ahem) from Sop at opening and Euph in Cadenza (followed by a short period of uncertainty from the band!);
versus;
b) a great band sound, excellent balance and a very spacious and musically understandable reading from Ray Farr.

Obviously the judges took the mistakes as "on the day" one offs and discounted them.

In a way, I'm glad they did. But was that the same for all performances? Can't any mistake be counted as an "On the Day" one in that case?

Anyway, Well done Fishburn. Besides a few horror seconds, it WAS a good performance. From what I heard, unlucky Wingates and Whitburn, and I personally enjoyed Unison Kinneil although it wasn't without it's errors.

Only heard about 8 so can't comment on anyone else, sorry!

We (Freckleton) are fairly happy with our result. We played what would be considered a slightly easier piece than most other bands in some ways, but played it fairly well, so have no complaints really!

Anyway, just my thoughts (probably not those of some of my band tho :))

Trog's

As always the Scottish contest organisation was fantastic and the hall was great place to play.

The only downer was there was no snow! So the first SCOTTISH OPEN SNOWMAN BUILDING CONTEST never really had a chance!

Was also good to see alot of freinds from other bands (Hannahunnybun, rickshaw and the besses crew) looking forward to next years contest already!

Hello Freckleton!

Hey Freckletonians!!
Was fab to see you guys too.(Andy thanks for the hugs!!)Apart from you all made me want to go home!! Ah well, i will be home for christmas in 3 weeks. :) I thought you sounded fabulous, from were i was sat ,hope you appreciated my wee cheer even if i was the only one!We thought you should have done a bit better than you did.Shame the hall wasnt more full for you i bet lots of people would have really enjoyed it!
Han xx

Stu-ton

Was a good day and i enjoyed listening to almost every band apart from KKB! The winner was a shock to me, Escpacillay becaus ethe Euph mucked up his solo(felt for him), I had my top 3 as whitburn kirkie and carlton main but couldn't decide an order!

But as has been said so often its all about the guys in the box!

allanw

KKB = Kirky Kelvin Brass

Congratulations to Fishburn from everyone at Kirky and also congrats to the KKB mob for an outstanding performance and result!

Allan Wardrope
The Kirkintilloch Band

Rob

Well done to everyone at KKB for an amazing result, especially to my sis Claire who plays 1st bari there!

drummergurl

well... the snowman building contest and tamtam sledging didnt happen cuz there was no snow :(

however it has snowed today while i was at college (back in lancashire) and i builded a mini snoman (apart from it looks like a snowwoman) and took a piccie on my phone (that was fun) and had snowball fights n stuff, and it kinda made up for the lack of snow in glasgow. i saw snow on the way upto glasgow, and on the way home... but they wouldnt stop the bus for me. meanies.

kaz.. ive never ever broken a bone yet! only hurt muscles really...

*serious stuff*
i had a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge panic when i got on stage!!! whose idea was it to hire/use/borrow timps with the pedal mechanism the opposite to the timps most bands have?!?! im guessing they used/borrowed/hired them from an orchestra because those are more common in orchestras than brass bands! well... anyway.. my timp part was hard enough without the timp pedal system being different!! i was absolutely bricking it! in all honesty i dont think its fair to do that. when i was talking afterwards with someone about it, they mentioned that they think the organisers should find out what sort of timp pedal mechanism thing each band has, and then make sure that what is provided is what most bands use.

it was horrible! the men backstage were very nice to us percussionists, but then gave me the most stressful 20mins of my life because of the timps!!

all you brass players might be wondering why im making a fuss over this, but you try playing a test piece on a contest stage, pressing your valves down, or moving your slide with the opposite hand to what you normally use.

*ends serious stuff*

all in all despite that small rant, it was a fun weekend. nice to meet persins :D dont think i met anyone else i didnt already know...

BbBill

Supporting Member
We had a wee panic before going onto the stage too!
One of our cornets nearly fell apart in the warmup!! The solder had gone at the joint between the valve block and the the bell pipe, the noise wasnt very impressive when blown! Just as well we had the junior band there and so borrowed one of their cornets!

We found the timps in the Strathclyde suite were the wrong way round too, but we were 1st on so we had plenty of time to sus it out!!

Well done to KKB, a band with a few ex-Campbeltown players in there, great result for yous, pity I was so busy with other 2 contests yest, otherwise Id have been glad to dep on BBb Bass with yous, but was good you managed to find somebody else and do a great job!

Last edited:

brassneck

Thoroughly enjoyed the contest and listened to all the bands in the top section. Personally I had Whitburn ahead of everybody with their symphonic approach to the Bourgeois (... great playing from their young tuba player as well), but congratulations to Fishburn (as was said before by Andy ... classy sound with loads of detail coming through fantastic reading and direction from Ray Farr). Saying that, the "if only" factor must be biting a few others because of unlucky slips, ... results could have been so different. Shame that only two tradestands were present and that the audience was smaller than I expected this year! Iwan Fox and 4barsrest's comments actually tallied with many of my impressions too. There were many fine individual performances on show, and not just from the celebrity deps. (who were on cracking form).

Last edited: