'Official' Scottish Open Thread

I'm going and after 4 years of service it's my last contest with my band..... :(

Hopefully will finish things off with a bang - both on and off stage.....!

Daff Cornet said:
I'm going and after 4 years of service it's my last contest with my band..... :(

Hopefully will finish things off with a bang - both on and off stage.....!

Aw, Ali, where are you going?

Good luck to everyone for the Scottish Open! I really miss Scotland, such a great place, fantastic people and great bands. Boo hoo! Wish I was there for the weekend.

johnmartin

The preview article is now available to view on the SBBA website.

Good luck to all the bands attending. Should be a good one. Here's my prediction fwiw

1. Scottish Co-op
2. Whitburn
3. Freckleton
4. Kirkintilloch
5. Wingates
6. Carlton Main

dark horses - Fishburn

AndyCat

johnmartin said:
The preview article is now available to view on the SBBA website.

Good luck to all the bands attending. Should be a good one. Here's my prediction fwiw

1. Scottish Co-op
2. Whitburn
3. Freckleton
4. Kirkintilloch
5. Wingates
6. Carlton Main

dark horses - Fishburn
Oh No! A Kiss of Death ;-)

Firm-but-fair

Prediction

1. The Kirkintilloch Band
2. Carton Main Frickley Colliery
3. Scottish Co-op
4. The Whitburn Band
5. Newtongrange Silver Band
6. Wingates

ignore me

Quite a good preview on the website - interesting solo Euph for Wingates!

Now since i've not heard any of these bands in ages (or at all for most of the English ones) please don't take this prediction too seriously!

1 Scottish Coop
2 Wingates
3 Whitburn
4 Freckleton
5 Kirkintilloch
6 Unison Kinneil

Dark Horses SWT Woodfalls

Don't have a clue about the other contests (although I would go for Dalmellington to win theirs if I knew what I was talking about) except West Lothian for the youth competition

I guess the list of pieces are just announced on the day?

johnmartin

Blaster said:
Also rumour has it another Top drawer English Sop player depping at the Scottish Open.
No rumour about that according to the list given to me. I chose not to list guests in the player details, preferring to list the bands normal player for any given seat. You would have to ask the band or player concerned to confirm, but the band were happy enough for me to be given the names of their guests knowing it would be published on the web.

johnmartin said:
No rumour about that according to the list given to me. I chose not to list guests in the player details, preferring to list the bands normal player for any given seat. You would have to ask the band or player concerned to confirm, but the band were happy enough for me to be given the names of their guests knowing it would be published on the web.

Wouldn't be a rumour if it was on a list.

AndyCat

rickshaw said:
So who is depping on Solo Horn for your band Chris?

Julie Backhouse, 2nd horn at Fodens, is helping us out. When I sent the details in we hadn't finalized anyone.

Trog's

rickshaw said:
So who is depping on Solo Horn for your band Chris?

Yes....Julie it is Rick!

Good luck for the day and I'll look forward to seeing you and we'll have a beer and a chat up there!! I think I owe you one for the CD you helped us with!

brassneck

I see there is a healthy selection of test-pieces getting played this year. Although I do not want to tie any piece to a band, I've noted the following that are rumoured to be getting played ... Masquerade (Wilby), Music Of The Spheres (Sparke), Concerto Grosso (Bourgeois), Between The Moon & Mexico (Sparke), Tallis Variations (Sparke) and possibly Eden (Pickard). Any others to other?

AndyCat

Harmony Music (Sparke), Of Men and Mountains (Gregson), Montage (Graham) and English Heritage (Lloyd) are 4 more to add to the list!

brassneck

10 pieces for 17 bands that are listed in the top section (so far) ... looks like it going to be an interesting day for adjudicators, players and listeners alike! :)

rickshaw

Trog's said:
Yes....Julie it is Rick!

Good luck for the day and I'll look forward to seeing you and we'll have a beer and a chat up there!! I think I owe you one for the CD you helped us with!

Good luck to you guys also.

And you know me I wont say no to a pint!!
I could do with catching up with you anyway.

See you up there

Good luck to all going the Scottish Open,

Hope Freck keep a good form from getting 4th last year off an early draw was really good going it was nice being on stage to pick the trophy up that will stick in my memory for a few years to come. What are Freck going on Andy ? it probaly has been metioned but i have the reading capabilities, will be intresting to see how Wingates get on there having a good run of from of late too nice to see two bands holding up the North West banner up there

regards

COLIN DORAN

BBb BASS OLD HALL BRASS

:guiness :guiness:guiness:guiness:grnsm

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.