Odd cornet trick question


Ok this may be very poorly explained, but my question is, is there anyone out there who can give me pointers on how to do the following trick...

you know how alot of jazz trumpeters do a trick where they use their lips to sorta gliss up through their range, but its all very smooth (almost like a trombone gliss using their slide)? how do they do this exactly?

does it involve pushing the valves half way down or anything...anyways pointers would be great...

sorry that was so poorly explained :(
It can be achieved by opening the valves a small bit, say quarter way up as you start the gliss, closing the valves again as you reach the upper note.

Remember to put plenty of air into the instrument as you open the valve and slide upwards to keep the sound secure!

In upper register, say from F (5th line) to F above high C, the gliss effect can be achieved without half-valve as the harmonics of the instrument are closer together.
Offbeats said:
so would i be correct in saying it is a lip slur using 'half'valving' (or actually quarter-valving)

Yes, that's a good description...
If you get hold of a copy of Lip Flexibility on the Trumpet by Walter M Smith (not the Ex Rangers FC manager!!) there is a detailed explanation of how to achieve this.
I'm sure there are other books that deal with this too , such as the upper register exercises in Vizzutti's Vol 1 (I think)

Product tMP members are discussing