Obligatory Areas Rumour Thread (or What Would You Like to See at the Areas?)

CousinJack

With the lower section Nationals just round the corner I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the Area pieces might end up being? This year is particularly interesting as there is much and more going on outside and within banding, and I can imagine lower levels of entry for many of the regions.

I am sure that no one has the foggiest but I love getting the tin foil hat on and seeing what people reckon they know from the guy who knows a guy! I expect to see older test pieces across the board, but that is a gut feeling rather than being based on anything I actually know. I shan't speculate further - what do other people reckon? Or even what would you like to see?

2nd tenor

“Or even what would I like to see”. The lower section finals are just around the corner and to keep an edge on things some Bands (I certainly know of one) have for many months been rehearsing any which way they can and ‘sod the consequences’ whilst other folk have been very mindful of CV19 and not meeting. To my perspective the right, responsible and pragmatic thing to do would have been to defer those finals further rather than create a situation that might encourage the spread of CV19: a disease which has taken peoples lives and livelihoods away.

As for the future CV19 hasn’t gone away yet and this Winter is likely to see some rise in infections *. To my eyes Contests and obliging people to attend rehearsals where infection might well be spread really isn’t a responsible course of action and it is an avoidable course of action.

* Covid third wave 'perfect storm' for care in Hywel Dda

Last edited:

ghost

With the lower section Nationals just round the corner I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the Area pieces might end up being? This year is particularly interesting as there is much and more going on outside and within banding, and I can imagine lower levels of entry for many of the regions.

I am sure that no one has the foggiest but I love getting the tin foil hat on and seeing what people reckon they know from the guy who knows a guy! I expect to see older test pieces across the board, but that is a gut feeling rather than being based on anything I actually know. I shan't speculate further - what do other people reckon? Or even what would you like to see?
Think you might be right with older pieces. Personally, I can’t wait to get back to serious rehearsals and cutting out the bad habits which have crept in over the last 18 months. So I will welcome any piece for the areas and roll on March 2022!

CousinJack

“Or even what would I like to see”. The lower section finals are just around the corner and to keep an edge on things some Bands (I certainly know of one) have for many months been rehearsing any which way they can and ‘sod the consequences’ whilst other folk have been very mindful of CV19 and not meeting. To my perspective the right, responsible and pragmatic thing to do would have been to defer those finals further rather than create a situation that might encourage the spread of CV19: a disease which has taken peoples lives and livelihoods away.

As for the future CV19 hasn’t gone away yet and this Winter is likely to see some rise in infections *. To my eyes Contests and obliging people to attend rehearsals where infection might well be spread really isn’t a responsible course of action and it is an avoidable course of action.

* Covid third wave 'perfect storm' for care in Hywel Dda

I do agree with a lot of what you have said, but as long as Kapitol ensures that bands are safe during the areas and PCP tested before, just as they've done for the lower section nationals (of course, however, we have to see how that goes first). Covid hasn't gone away but it is probably here to stay, come the time of the areas more or less everyone over the age of 16 will have been vaccinated and I imagine a good chunk of people over 12 will be too. It's of course gonna be up to bands to go, or not, depending on their own circumstances and probably also the test piece selection (I can imagine the bands umming and erring over it might have their minds made up if the piece is terrible or excellent).

We're only a couple of days away so I will throw a couple of very half baked things I've heard:

Contest Music for Champ
Resurgam in a section (last used in 2nd but that was considered hard then, how will bands after an 18-month break handle it in 2nd section? Might end up being used in the 1st section)

This is my own crackpot theory:

Tombstone Arizona for the 1st section (I could explain why I think this but I'd rather just be proved wrong!)

Product tMP members are discussing