NYO!

Naomi McFadyen

I just wanted to give a shout out to the National Youth Orchestra who a little earlier played Mahlers Symphony number 1, just shown on BBC2 as part of the Proms... It was fantastic!
Well done to all 150 youth players!! :D Especially our own Ben Thomson, Eb bass at Leyland!

:D

yes. Some fantastic playing going on there. The concept of playing non vib throughout the orchestra was interesting, even though it took me some time to get used to it.

drummerboy

choirmaster said:
Some fantastic playing going on there.
And I have to say, some not so fantastic playing also. On the whole good, but not as good as thought it was going to be. Maybe it's just me though... :oops:

Was very impressed by the trumpets they did a fantastic job.

Not doing vibrato was a mistake - exposed the intonation in the strings.

jameshowell

BassoProfundo said:
Was very impressed by the trumpets they did a fantastic job.
I'll second that, I thought they were good too, especially since a couple of them diodn't look that old!

Brassbones

It was most impressive. Usual nightmare horn parts in Mahler symphonies and Norrington didnt help playing the last movement so bloody fast!!! But well done to all :lol:

geordiecolin

I'm still recovering from seeing Dougie Murdoch feature on national telly!

He's not done too bad for a lad that started on 2nd Horn in Ovington Tynedale...

twigglet

I did flick over and got a bit excited saying 'oooo look there is big underscore ben thomson!!'. I'm sorry Ben, that will always be your name to me...

Was very impressive though, even if there was an army of violins!