Nwcbba egm

Eb_Alex

There was only 11 bands there to vote from 55 members, and the vote was to dissovle. Lancashire Contests will continue to run the 4 contests (Fleetwood, Preston, St Helens and Dukinfield). The NWCBBA committee encouraged bands to investigate the benefits that can be offered by joining the BFBB.

Metoo

There was only 11 bands there to vote from 55 members, and the vote was to dissovle. Lancashire Contests will continue to run the 4 contests (Fleetwood, Preston, St Helens and Dukinfield). The NWCBBA committee encouraged bands to investigate the benefits that can be offered by joining the BFBB.

Is Lancashire Contests a company providing contests for profit then?
I am sure that they are not doing it for the love of it.

Also the comment about the committee encourageing bands to join the BFBB is a little strange as that is also a profit making organization?

What happens now? Which Association will bands go to now if this one has gone?
How lucky we are we in Yorkshire, to have so many strong associations?
Perhaps the North West could learn from studying why Yorkshire is so strong.

Blossom

Also the comment about the committee encourageing bands to join the BFBB is a little strange as that is also a profit making organization?

Presumably bands will now join the North West Area Brass Bands Association ?

brassbandmaestro

How sad that noone came forward to volunteerr. Is this where brass bands are going? Ok, some areas have a very styrong active forces for this but when an asssociation decides to dissolve, that does beggars the question?

Fedman

The BFBB is a national CHARITY not a profit making organisation - just how wrong and uninformed can you be?

$hytalk

Lancashire contests are NOT a profit making organization. Bands do not HAVE to join a local association. There are at least twice as many bands in the North West that attend the area contest than in Yorkshire! It sounds like you no NOTHING about NW banding, or Yorkshire for that matter. The BFBB sounds like a good move to me. BTW , very big thanks to the guys who have run NWCBBA over the years, I know there are many bandspersons out there who are endebted for your service to us.

Anno Draconis

The BFBB is a national CHARITY not a profit making organisation - just how wrong and uninformed can you be?

Apparently, there's no upper limit.

Lancashire contests are NOT a profit making organization. Bands do not HAVE to join a local association. There are at least twice as many bands in the North West that attend the area contest than in Yorkshire! It sounds like you no NOTHING about NW banding, or Yorkshire for that matter. The BFBB sounds like a good move to me. BTW , very big thanks to the guys who have run NWCBBA over the years, I know there are many bandspersons out there who are endebted for your service to us.

Well said, John.

I have to say, though, that I've always been slightly baffled by the structure in the North West. There was the NW Counties association, which ran Preston, Tameside, Fleetwood, and helped with Wilkinsons, which as far as I can recall is at least partly run by Rainford Band?

Then there was the the North West Area association, which ran the two Buxton contests (back in the day) and the old Manchester and Rochdale contests? Is that right?

But neither of these runs the Area contest, which is organised by the NW REGIONAL brass band committee - not an association, obviously, just a committee set up to run a single contest. Some bands were members of both, some members of neither. Committee members from NWC and NWA were on the NWRBBC, but they didn't sit on each others' committees. That's my impression of it, anyway. (I know there are similarly a number of associations in Yorkshire, and I'm not sure that something you could class as "lucky", even if they are currently strong - fragmentation and a slow death seems to be the likely outcome in the end.)

Now which I'm sure that worked OK in the days when there were hundreds of bands in the NW, and a contest every couple of weeks during the season, new times surely call for a new structure? One organisation, running the lot?

Here's a thought - in order to enter the area, you HAVE to be a member of a new, improved "Combined" NWRBBA. Membership is £250. That gets you free entry and a full set of bandsman's tickets to the Area, Tameside, Fleetwood (assuming it has a future), Preston and St Helens. So if you go to all 5, as some bands do, it's only cost £50 a contest; and this wish to get value for money encourages bands to enter a few more. Make at least one of them an entertainments contest.

Before anyone posts to tell me, I know it's not that simple. I know cheap venues are hard to find, and no-one wants to be on the committee. I'm on the committee at Wingates, and I know how reluctant people are to add to their workload. So maybe the answer is simply to say that the days of running lots of contests on the cheap are gone, forever, and there should now be 3 - Area (set test) plus no more than two "Association" contests, one an entertainments and one an own choice? And perhaps spend a bit more time/money setting up workshops and masterclasses for young players, conductors and composers?

Like many, I couldn't go the the "EGM" because it clashed with GS rehearsals, and my band is no longer a NWC member band anyway. Respect is definitely due to the guys who have run things for so many years behind the scenes, and we should all give them our thanks. It's becoming clear that in banding as a whole, though (not just the NW), some fairly fundamental things have to be changed and improved, or in a few decades we'll be wondering where it all went.

Product tMP members are discussing