Novelty pieces

We are playing David Lancasters arrangement of 'A Policemans Lot is not a Happy One' at a concert on Friday. (Thanks Straightmute)
It is arranged as a bass quartet with band. The music is fun but we have got to dress up in Policemans helmets etc and fool around. :evil:
I am not looking forward to it at all :cry: I find standing up to play difficult without anything else. Glad I'm not still playing Bb bass
Has anyone got any tips or experience of this sort of thing :?:

We did the Good, Band & the Ugly, had the flugel player and solo cornet dress up (well the whole band was dressed up , cowboy theme concert) anyway they ran around the stage with cap guns firing off - very amusing, I wanted a go!!

Morghoven

I know it can be difficult, but try not to think "I feel really foolish doing this" - cos if you do, it will come across to the audience. Just throw yourse;f into it and have some fun, and then the audience will too. Our entire bass section once dressed up in lederhosen to do 'Tyrolean Tubas' (those of you who know Steve Gittins will know this was not pretty - sorry Steve!) and it was hilarious - but only because they all went for it!

Straightmute

Hilary Mateer said:
We are playing David Lancasters arrangement of 'A Policemans Lot is not a Happy One' at a concert on Friday. (Thanks Straightmute)
It is arranged as a bass quartet with band. The music is fun but we have got to dress up in Policemans helmets etc and fool around. :evil:
I am not looking forward to it at all :cry: I find standing up to play difficult without anything else. Glad I'm not still playing Bb bass
Has anyone got any tips or experience of this sort of thing :?:

Ello ello ello.

Bet you look fantastic in the uniform Hilary...and I'm glad you're playing my work even if you're not!!! Now what am I doing on Friday night???

And Basses on the Beat is still available from Dragon Music Publishing.

Evenin' all

D

leisa

2001b the oblique one, strange noises down instruments, stamping feet, and roaring at the end.......etc. :?

andyp

Our trombone section (all male) donned nun's outfits to do "I will Follow Him" once, strange thing is they really enjoyed it and wanted to do it again........hmmmmm...........!

timbloke

andyp said:
Our trombone section (all male) donned nun's outfits to do "I will Follow Him" once, strange thing is they really enjoyed it and wanted to do it again........hmmmmm...........!

I'd do that.. sounds great fun!! ;)

Tip... the audience are always as embarrased as you... if you do something and come accross as feeling embarrassed, the audience will fell embarrased for you... so whatever you do, do it with pride, and just think how many of the audience you will have to see again?

leisa

when we did our strange noises thing the audience didnt even look slightly amused, we were all on the floor laffin (not really just giving a vauge picture) sayin that it was an entertainment contest they were prob rootin for the opposition and thought if they laffed we mite get more points or summit stupid......*rambles on a bit more* but it was a YOUTH contest - we were all quite hurt..... :cry: :cry:

they could have at least fake laffed!

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
Heh we're doin Good/Band'n'Ugly at christmas hopefully. I love pieces where theres acting or dressing up or making funny noises in.
My MD wanted me to do Flight of the Bumble Bee and dress up in a bee costume and 'buzz' around the stage and audience which would be ace. :p

That was, until I bought the piece and saw the Soloist part. EEEEEK it's hard on Eb!!!
:shock:
Anyone know any Eb Solo arrangements other than by Mr Wyss. No offence to him but the Eb version is 10xharder than the Bb version which I think it was transposed from.
:cry:

Jo Elson

Hootenanny (sp?) makes me laugh anyway especially when the trombones an percussion have to make cowboy sounds or it might be animal sounds?

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
Hmm spooky, after saying that we got out Good/Bad & the Ugly last night! :shock:
tmp may have more of an effect than we thought! :p

It's really funny, especially the hi-yi-yi-ya bit although when we did it there were about 10 women and me doing it which sounded wierd! :oops:

Moy

I make ace noises in Disney Fantasy.......and thats not just on my horn :wink:

Hilary Mateer wrote:
It is arranged as a bass quartet with band. The music is fun but we have got to dress up in Policemans helmets etc and fool around
Well we played it with silly hats on.
I don't think the quality of playing was brilliant (we had only reheased it twice - thats my excuse anyway) but we all hammed it up and the audience appeared to enjoy it.
David Lancaster wrote:
I'm glad you're playing my work even if you're not!!! Now what am I doing on Friday night???

And Basses on the Beat is still available from Dragon Music Publishing
Didn't see you there David 8) but you got a mention as arranger

A J Foad

A few years I saw the BTM band perform the last number from 'The Full Monty' They had the cornets out at the front doing the strip routine. They still managed to play the notes as well! At least they only got down as far as their boxer shorts!!