Novelty Item

jobriant

Eb Sousaphones were quite common in the USA from the late 1800's up to about 1950 or 1960. If anyone has a yen to purchase one, I recommend that you look for a King, Conn or Holton, as these will be better than the "J. LaFleur" brand in this particular eBay auction.

Brian Bowen

I recall the SA's Regent Hall Band (Oxford Street) used to have a set of Sousaphones which they kept only for processional use in London. I wonder if they still have them? A few other SA bands had them, but that's many, many years ago.

DublinBass

Supporting Member
I played an Eb sousaphone for a marching band gig in the States. I think it was a king. Plays really easy.

PeterBale

Staff member
Brian Bowen said:
I recall the SA's Regent Hall Band (Oxford Street) used to have a set of Sousaphones which they kept only for processional use in London. I wonder if they still have them? A few other SA bands had them, but that's many, many years ago.
Not as long go as you may think, Brian. My dad bought his sousaphone from Coventry City Corps within the last 20 years, and they had been using it pretty much up until then.

Brian Pegg(?) of Sheringham Corps featured on sousaphone when they came to Hadleigh recently. If you get a good one they are very easy blowing and very versatile - Dad's plays very easily across the full range from pedal notes up to the top register.