Not enough BRASS

Should the beeb bring back Brass Banding to T.V

• Total voters

Chimp-man

Why have ALL Brass Band lovers in this small but extremely talented BRASS BAND COUNTRY, only have ONE Brass Band show to tune into, although Mr Renton does a stirling job, why is this just the only one around?? If my memory serves me correct there was a show on BBC2 in the 70's & possibly early 80's featuring Brass Bands, you lot will have to help me out on the name as it escapes me at present. Surely with the standard these days and the diversity of music around, if a programme was put back on the T.V., i would think it would have more viewers than 30 odd years ago :?: :?:

Nat

i completely agree brass banding is dying out we need to save it- force your childrwen to play an instrument :wink:

Aidan

there was a bbc band versus band competition... forgot the name and also the granada band of the year entertainments competition....
lttb is the only national brass radio broadcast, but there are quite a few local radio ones too..

dyl

As part of S4C's coverage of the National Eisteddfod here in Wales, every section of the Eisteddfod Brass Band contest is televised live on S4C Digital - this has been the case now for a few years (since digital broadcasting started on the Welsh channel). Although the contest itself is limited to Welsh bands - the tv coverage I think can be picked up by anyone with a digital satellite system. This year's event is taking place on the 31st July and 1st August and will again be shown live on the channel.

The Urdd Eisteddfod (an arts festival for the youth of Wales) receives the same coverage - and there are Brass solo contest within this festival too.

So although our football and rugby results don't get the coverage we think we deserve ;) - one of our Brass Band contests certainly does!

Brass Bands have died.........they are dead. Just like Ballroom dancing.

Same reason - they didn't keep up to date with the change in music.

As a cornet/trumpet player I am so glad that I have options as to which style I play..........

WhatSharp?

CaharleyFarley said:

As a cornet/trumpet player I am so glad that I have options as to which style I play..........

Ahh right banding is dead .....So why are you here then? seems theres a few 1000 people around here who seem to differ on that one.

HBB

dyl said:
As part of S4C's coverage of the National Eisteddfod here in Wales, every section of the Eisteddfod Brass Band contest is televised live on S4C Digital - this has been the case now for a few years (since digital broadcasting started on the Welsh channel). Although the contest itself is limited to Welsh bands - the tv coverage I think can be picked up by anyone with a digital satellite system. This year's event is taking place on the 31st July and 1st August and will again be shown live on the channel.

The Urdd Eisteddfod (an arts festival for the youth of Wales) receives the same coverage - and there are Brass solo contest within this festival too.

So although our football and rugby results don't get the coverage we think we deserve ;) - one of our Brass Band contests certainly does!

We get it! (Although it's called: "~S4C Digidol" here (with the funky ~). I watched your band play shine as the light last year! :tup

WhatSharp? said:
CaharleyFarley said:

Ahh right banding is dead .....So why are you here then? seems theres a few 1000 people around here who seem to differ on that one.

Because you contest...........

Humphrey

I agree that the BBC2 Best of Brass Competition was a bit cheesy but it was a lot of fun. The last series was held in 1985 I think and the Final was Desford v Faireys with Desford coming out as winners. Granada Band of the Year was held in Warringtons Spectrum Arena (now a leisure centre I believe) and transferred to the Isle of Man for one year (87) being won by Fodens that year. Its worth noting that but for these contests a great deal of repertoire may never have appeared; Howard Snells arrangements for these contests included: Pines of Rome, Daphnis and Chloe, Bolero, Folk Festival, 2 Cats.
The saddest demise of all in my opinion at least was the Radio 3 programme "Bandstand". For those old enough to remember it, our top bands would record 2 serious works (testpieces usually) but the programme was also responsible for some world premieres, amongst them Wilfred Heatons Partita. These progs are sadly missed. Shame :(

Jack of all trades eh........ :lol:[/quote]

As much as I enjoy banding (and I do - very much)........I just realise, as other banders must, that the "public" are not really interested in us as a music form.

View other threads as to why concerts arn't well attended, unless shared with local choirs etc.

Humphrey

CaharleyFarley said:
As much as I enjoy banding (and I do - very much)........I just realise, as other banders must, that the "public" are not really interested in us as a music form.

View other threads as to why concerts arn't well attended, unless shared with local choirs etc.

And the last time you went to a Dyke concert was?
Like any form of musical endeavour the public will turn out to hear the top exponents but as for the rest of us; we can get good attendances without support from the local choir but we need to program imaginatively. Most audiences will not tolerate the inclusion of 2 or 3 test pieces into a programme (although some will). We build a programme for our audience not for ourselves. Thats why we survive. It is our duty to interest the audience. Many bands do this very successfully.

Okiedokie of Oz

As I am finding myself, you have to go out and make a name for your band, don't just expect the crowd to flock to you all the time. Go and do something spectacular with that joint concert. Then do it again in the main street. People will be fascinated by what they see and when you adverttise another MONSTER concert (with new features of course) then people will rock up.

As for brass band shows, there is only one major one all around Australia. Metro areas, especially Melvourbe and Sydney have some options, but for this poor country hick....Strike Up the Band is all I have.

lynchie

I was thinking about this the other day with my controvertial hat on... maybe it's just because Brass Bands are too English/British a thing. It often seems that the only things shown on TV are those which celebrate cultural diversity, and to be honest, that's not something brass bands are big on...

CaharleyFarley said:

Harsh but true...

Apart from Dr's King, Childs and Childs, no one really seems to be making huge strides towards a future in new music.

We all love what we do too much to be bothered about what we're doing to survive.

PeterBale

Staff member
Australian Euphonium said:
Apart from Dr's King, Childs and Childs, no one really seems to be making huge strides towards a future in new music.

We all love what we do too much to be bothered about what we're doing to survive.
I don't think the above statement about new music is quite fair - there are lots of bands around who are active in seeking out and promoting new repertoire, but they may not get the same media attention that those you've mentioned do. Leyland, Sellers, Whitburn and Harrogate, to mention but a few that I'm personally aware of, have produced some very attractive and adventurous recordings, and I'm sure this would also be reflected in their concert repertoire.

The question of whether there would be sufficient interest in a band programme on TV is another matter: with the trend being towards channelling most "serious" music-making onto digital TV, that could even work in our favour to some extent, as they do not seem so concerned at getting huge viewing figures. On the other hand, even if a suitable format could be found, the mere fact of it going out on digital would mean that a large proportion of the public wouldn't get the chance to see it - myself for one :shock:

I would second what was said about the loss of "Bandstand", as it was hearing a broadcast of "Land of the Long White Cloud" that rekindled my interest in banding (other than in the SA) after an absence of a number of years. It also gave a valuable outlet for wind bands who are also grossly under-represented on the airwaves.

My personal view, however, is that we are unlikely to get a regular weekly broadcast back, but there may be a chance of occasional features, such as happened with the BBC Festival of Brass, and the sporadic broadcasts from the Open weekend.

You are right peter, that was a poor statement.

I should have said that there are 3 bands (plus a few soloists) who have the "cutting edge" factor on their work at the moment - 3 bands who could really make the best in the musical business change their minds about banding. - heaps more bands could do some but still have major weaknesses.

Now think how many symphony orchestras, chamber orchestras, small ensembles etc. have that "cutting edge" on their work.

I define cutting edge as exploring the future and therefore positive movement towards improving a genre's situation.

therefore Caharley Farley is right, TV won't fix anything until all the people who are going to be on it get the 'edge'.

The 'edge' is a rare thing - Thank the stars we have had and still do have some people with it now.