New Steven Mead CD- "Euphonium Magic"

Seedhouse

Bought the first copy of Steve's new CD on Saturday at the RNCM Tuba/ Euph festival! :roll: :wink:

Just wanted to recommend it to every tMP member! It's REALLY good!

To sum up the CD, Steve plays every single note in every piece, and multi-tracks the parts. Which really makes this CD unique, as no other soloist has actually tried something as daring as this, and i'm pleased to say that he pulls it off tremendously it really is a marvel to listen to! It really shows what a supreme Euphonium virtuoso he is!
(and the person that gave me the inspiration to try so hard at my Euph, and pursue it as a musical career. He's also such an idol to me and other Euphonium player's, and an incredibly nice chap! :D Anyway this is all in another thread so i'll be quiet so the mods don't biff me!)

Especially tracks like the Sorceror's Apprentice, The Ride of the Valkyries (which has 17 multi-tracks!) show how good this CD really is. Also Steve adds many of those super notes, that we all wish we can play! (a lot of top A's and above on the CD!)

Also Peter Bale's Dad (that right Pete?) has arranged much of the music on the CD. I was lucky to meet him at the Festival with Godiva Music, and he's such a nice man, please pass on my regards Pete.

So enough babbling on, here is the track listing:
1.Humoreske - Tchaikovsky arr. M.Bale
2. Sonata Pian'eforte - Gabrieli arr. M.Bale
3. Erinnerung - Schumannn arr. L. Mahlknecht
4. Toccata and Fugue in D minor - Bach arr.A.P.Taylor
5. Scarborough Fair - Art Garfunkel arr.B.Reichenbach
6. The Sorcerers Apprentice - Dukas arr.M.Bale
7. Golliwogg's Cakewalk - C.Debussy arr.M.Bale
8. Clair de Lune - C.Debussy arr.M.Bale
9. Scherzo from Midsummer Nights Dream - F.Mendelssohn arr.M.Bale
10. The Girl With the Flaxen Hair - C.Debussy arr.M.Bale
11. The Ride of the Valkyries - R.Wagner arr.R.Hall
12. Frankie and Johnny - American Trad. arr.S.Roberts
13. Fly Me to the Moon - B.Howard arr.R. Hughes
14. Jump, Jive an' Wail - L.Prima arr.J.Vinson

So go buy it now, no excuses! :wink:

drummerboy

Seedhouse said:
To sum up the CD, Steve plays every single note in every piece, and multi-tracks the parts. Which really makes this CD unique, as no other soloist has actually tried something as daring as this,

I might be wrong, but I think Derick Kane did some mutlitracking on his CD (Lyric Variations, you probably have it!). If I'm not mistaken, he played both parts on Timepiece by Bearcroft (the one written for him and Trever Groom). I might be wrong however!
That's not to knock Steve's latest offering, I'm sure it's excellent!!!!! :D :D

Seedhouse

Yup I do have Lyric Variations, but I meant that no soloist has ever done an entire CD of multi-tracking, with a range of 4- 17 parts, it does make the CD a very daring task, and as Steve is such a brilliant player he pulls it off fantastically.

blue euph

I preordered my copy last week on euphonium.net and waiting for it to come, likely in 2 weeks time. If the mp3 samples are any indication, this CD is a must have in every euphonium players CD collection.

drummerboy

Seedhouse said:
Yup I do have Lyric Variations, but I meant that no soloist has ever done an entire CD of multi-tracking, with a range of 4- 17 parts, it does make the CD a very daring task, and as Steve is such a brilliant player he pulls it off fantastically.

True, it is pioneering stuff. In a way it's taking the Childs brothers mutlitracking pieces to another (higher) level.

Bones

Seedhouse said:

Hi Alex, Ingo Luis and Ludwig Nuss did a CD called the 2 bone big band where they multitracked it all. Also, Ian Bousfield featured multitracking on his soloist CD, the Versatile Virtuoso.

Cheers

Rich

PeterBale

Staff member
Having listened to my copy a few times over the past couple of days I thought I'd add my endorsement, and not just because there are some of my dad's arrangements there - honest :!:

Of all the multitracked recordings I've heard I think this is the most successful. There is no sense of the multitracking process itself restricting the flow, which can sometimes happen, and the variations in tone etc make you forget after a while that it is all played by the one person.

Seedhouse highlighted a couple of the more spectacular items but, for me, it is some of the quieter pieces that leave the deepest impression, especially "Claire de Lune" and the Schumann "Erinnerung", whilst in the Bach "Toccata & Fugue in D minor" it is hard to believe there are only four parts being played.

drummerboy said:
Timepiece by Bearcroft (the one written for him and Trever Groom)
Only spotted this today: just to clarify a point, in that although Trevor Groom and Derick Kane performed "Timepiece" at the Albert Hall in 1980, I believe it was written when Norman was in charge of the Canadian Staff Band, and was definitely recorded on the Melbourne Staff Band's tour lp in 1978.

Seedhouse

Peter Bale said:
Of all the multitracked recordings I've heard I think this is the most successful. There is no sense of the multitracking process itself restricting the flow, which can sometimes happen, and the variations in tone etc make you forget after a while that it is all played by the one person.

Agreed, you really have to hear it to believe it, and it's absolutely stunning. Some of the notes Steven gets are also quite astounding he can get up to super C above top C :? Man, i'm jealous!!!

"Claire de Lune" and the Schumann "Erinnerung", are also two of my favourites, but I have to say that I enjoy listening to the CD all the way through, it really is that good!

blue euph

I just received my Euphonium Magic CD. ITS really good 8) . After listening to it a couple of times, I'm going how in the world does he play that double high notes esp. the last notes of Jump Five an 'Wail, Clair de Lune and play them tastefully though its cool.

brassneck

PPls here have mentioned his upper register on the disc, but what about his pedal notes? Totally awesome how they project through the dubbed layers! :cool:

N.B., is Steve wearing some sort of Trekky uniform on the cover of Vol.2?