NEW PRINCIPAL @ FAIREYS

Steve

I'm all for women in banding but I dont think anyone can question the recruitment policy of the double national champions. As for advertising vacancies on the net, i think it is a great idea. Have you ever sat there and heard of a player from a top band joining your local top band and thought "wish i'd have known about that vacancy"? Seems transfers at the top level are more through word of mouth and who knows who so wide spread advertising is a great move. Congrats to Faireys on being the first to adopt it as a recruitment method.

AndyCat

Ooooooooo! Have we caused some controversy? :?

I can't speak for Kevin Crockford, who placed the ads for cornet and Euph, but I placed the notice about EEb Bass. It's really quite simple:

a) We need an (insert instrument) player (don't know why bands keep secrets about things like this!);
b) We want the best player we can get;
c) We have no bias against players not already in "name" bands;
d) Everyone deserves a chance at these oppurtunities, and we haven't heard and seen every player that's around. The next John Fletcher/Martin Winter etc. may apply for all we know!
e) We all use and enjoy these forums in the same way as everyone else, and see them as a valuable means of communication.

I know that we aren't the first band "of this calibre" to advertise for players publicly, and we won't be the last. Everyone has to be given a break sometime! We all worked our way up through the sections, and that's the way it will carry on no doubt. :D

Straightmute

I agree with Heather! There are lots of good musicians out there right across the sections and it's great that the band are prepared to scout around.

I hope that Fairey's show the same open mindedness next time you're looking for a conductor...

Cheers

D

Steve

Good point well made!! I hope all the other 'name' bands decide to adopt Faireys open minded approach. Not only leading the way musically but also in terms of organisation by the sounds of it.

bassinthebathroom

Nice Pic Aidan - looks like someone just got out of bed?
Precisely the reason I don't use one! A Pic that is, not a bed - i'm not some variety of tramp.

Steve21 said:
A return to playing for Phillip McCann?!?!?!?!? Could be interresting.

He seems to be spending most of his time at Huddersfield uni practising for Faireys at the mo. Well thats what he's been telling his students (so I'm told) when he cancels thier lessons.

jamie the euph

i am sorry then for my comment then i always thaught that top bands like Faireys recruited from word of mouth and who knows who bassis. i think that it is very good on faireys new policy and what andy wrote is very true i just thaught that it was very unusual. but even though i am male i still think that it may be time for named bands who only except men to change their other policy's and let women join. but all the best to faireys i stand corrected.sorry

deave

The Cornet King said:
Philip McCann aint what he used to be. Yes he is still a damn good player...but Faireys can find someone better.

Now there's a bold statement!!

For me, it's between Herbert L.Clarke and J.B.Arban

sudcornet

Anyone I know broken the 11th commandment? (No, not " thou shalt not fart in the car")....THOU SHALT NOT SPEW ON THE BUS!?!

mmmmmmmm?

Sud.

Dago

The Cornet King said:
I agree it is time to move away from that tradition.
I believe B&R, when they were looking for a new Sop player were going to appoint the Sop who now plays for Sellers (at least i think it is Sellers!). But they couldn't because she was a girl...

all wrong if you ask me.

Another load of old cobblers and guesswork!!!!!!!!

jambo

whilst we're on the subject of fairey's is it right that Tim Smith has arrived there on Euph? Good move for him but a sudden departure from Sellers isn't it? McCann guesting on top man too? :dunno

deave

jambo said:
whilst we're on the subject of fairey's is it right that Tim Smith has arrived there on Euph? Good move for him but a sudden departure from Sellers isn't it? McCann guesting on top man too? :dunno

You have good sources mr chiz!! Tis all true. Chuffed for Tim!!

p.s. You still owe him an eyebrow!

Heppy

Aye, aint it about time Chiz came back down and took the other eyebrow. A jobs not worth doing if it's not going to be done properly!!

Heppy
Sop

jambo

Heppy said:
Aye, aint it about time Chiz came back down and took the other eyebrow. A jobs not worth doing if it's not going to be done properly!!

Heppy
Sop

Couldn't agree more, but leaving he job half done gives me the excuse to come back and finish it dunnit. Just kidding, well done Tim...DO DA! :lol: