New "Christmas Collection" books

4th Cornet

Has anyone here used the new Christmas Collection books yet? If so, what's your thoughts?
Is it worth swapping or shall we stick with the the New Christmas Praise books (which I'm rather fond of) until they disintegrate?

MissMD

I've just bought a set for my band, and the biggest issue is just the change (away from the books that we're used to and fond of), not necessarily the arrangements!

The euphonium part has the tune and the accompaniment on it and can be quite tricky to read/figure out what you're supposed to play but the rest of them seem pretty good.

Some of the new arrangements are lovely too... and some of the new arrangements are not so lovely... as with anything! It is great to have some more 'popular songs' in there, Last Christmas, White Christmas, It's the most wonderful time of the year are all great when we've been out carolling. Also beware! A couple of them have changed key... a little difficult when you've been playing 'We wish you a Merry Christmas' since the introduction of NCP!

We're going to persevere with them this year, I guess we'll know the verdict by the 25th December.

GER

Print is a bit smaller, quite a few comments about different arrangements and key changes, personally I quite like the fact it has a few christmas 'classics' from the 70's and 80's. I like them, but then again I haven't been playing out of the old books for the last 20-30 years.

MissMD

Print is a bit smaller, quite a few comments about different arrangements and key changes, personally I quite like the fact it has a few christmas 'classics' from the 70's and 80's. I like them, but then again I haven't been playing out of the old books for the last 20-30 years.
I like them too... but then again I don't play brass so what do I know :p

4th Cornet

Thanks MissMD. I must admit that 'We Wish You...' in a more friendly key (assuming it is) than the NCP concert Gb major sounds like a positive step :)

I have reservations about the inclusion of more pop songs. NCP seemed to have got the balance right with the (mainly) tasteful songs at the back of the book.
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I'd rather hear a brass band playing traditional carols that famously tug at the heart strings. I know you don't have to play them, but if pop arrangements are convenient in a lyre-sized book, I can't help feel that they'll be too seductive and distract away from playing the sounds that our movement is famous for. (I'm pretty sure that view won't be shared by many though :))

MissMD

Thanks MissMD. I must admit that 'We Wish You...' in a more friendly key (assuming it is) than the NCP concert Gb major sounds like a positive step :)

I have reservations about the inclusion of more pop songs. NCP seemed to have got the balance right with the (mainly) tasteful songs at the back of the book.
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I'd rather hear a brass band playing traditional carols that famously tug at the heart strings. I know you don't have to play them, but if pop arrangements are convenient in a lyre-sized book, I can't help feel that they'll be too seductive and distract away from playing the sounds that our movement is famous for. (I'm pretty sure that view won't be shared by many though :))
I'm totally with you, I always make sure we've got a few trad (O come all ye, Hark the Herald etc) as that's what people like to hear, but it does also bring a new wave of slightly younger audiences over to have a bit of a look. It's nice that they've not taken much away from the NCP (that I've noticed), and they have also added in a couple including Gaudete (although I'm yet to try it!). P.s. It is in a much nicer key! Concert F major I think without looking!

Some good additions and some not so good. Some rearranging that hasn't worked (imho) but why no short score for. Conductors? Yes you can use the piano book but it doesn't cover the back of the book.
The last few have no numbers just a moan when your being told the next piece.
Overall though a good addition especially as the books come in two sizes

Queeg2000

When I played with the SA band, a few of the older (and one fairly young) women used to complain if we played Jingle bells, Rudolph, or anything that didn't refer to Jesus as it was a "Christmas Song" not a "Christmas Carol" and had no place in the carol book.

Bet they still had a Christmas tree though which from a theological perspective would have more relevance to Easter than Christmas.

Marilyn

Has anyone here used the new Christmas Collection books yet? If so, what's your thoughts?
Is it worth swapping or shall we stick with the the New Christmas Praise books (which I'm rather fond of) until they disintegrate?
We looked at these and decided to stick with our New Christmas Praise, compete with Scores. The arrangements in the back leave a lot to be desired in key and geography. Anyway, we have very good arrangements of all the popular Christmas numbers that are much easier to play and listen to. Apart from Rudolf , Jingle Bells, and We wish you a merry Christmas, the others aren't up to much. Looks like they rushed them out for Xmas. The Scores might come later.

GER

At practice last night played a few more from the new books, a few of the carols have changed key (mainly from A flat to G), to some that's creating more controversy than Brexit! :):):)

John Brooks

At practice last night played a few more from the new books, a few of the carols have changed key (mainly from A flat to G), to some that's creating more controversy than Brexit! :):):)
Wasn't it Brexit that necessitated the new books? :rolleyes:

Jack E

Ah, come on, folks - I don't think it all this "Blame it on Brexit!" stuff is called for, especially when the true facts are in the public domain.

Brexit is only responsible for Noah's Flood, the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, and the ratty lacquer on me trombone. Other groundless rumours, such as it being the cause of the bones putting rasp into every note - even when playing pp - are totally without foundation! :p