New Band Music - What do YOU want?

davidsait

stephen2001 said:
hornblower said:
we did a version of "The Battle of Jericho" arr for a wind band, incl flutes, clarinets, etc as well as brass... however it is sooo good I wondered if anyone had come across it arr for just brass?

It's great for trombones when all the parts are covered! I played it at the Albert Hall (Nottingham!) and wondered if there might have been a BB arrangement of it.
It would be a pity if there isn't! :?

As that as in 'Joshua fought the Battle of Jericho', 'cos if so, it has been done for brass band - its first in a suite of 3 tunes, all gospel tunes I think, but the name of the suite escapes me at the moment. Also, justmusicuk.com have an arrangement by Smith-Masters listed.

Dave Sait

PeterBale

Staff member
If anyone is looking for an unusual take on Jericho, has an able narrator and is prepared to put some work into rehearsing the band's verbal contributions, then Bill Himes' "Jericho Revisited" is worth considering. It presents a humorous take on the story, and can be very effective. Originally written, I believe, for his own Chicago Staff Band there is also a wind band version.

Joshua Fight The Battle of Jericho

davidsait said:
As that as in 'Joshua fought the Battle of Jericho', 'cos if so, it has been done for brass band - its first in a suite of 3 tunes, all gospel tunes I think, but the name of the suite escapes me at the moment. Also, justmusicuk.com have an arrangement by Smith-Masters listed.

Dave Sait

I think you are referring to Spiritual Sounds as arranged by Alan Fernie and published by Obrasso of Switzerland.

The other tunes are: 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' and 'Peter Go Ring Them Bells & Nobody Knows the Trouble I See'

HTH

davidsait

Re: Joshua Fight The Battle of Jericho

Janet Watkins said:
davidsait said:
As that as in 'Joshua fought the Battle of Jericho',
I think you are referring to Spiritual Sounds as arranged by Alan Fernie and published by Obrasso of Switzerland.
Thats the one! Thanks.

Dave Sait

Di B

hornblower said:
we did a version of "The Battle of Jericho" arr for a wind band, incl flutes, clarinets, etc as well as brass... however it is sooo good I wondered if anyone had come across it arr for just brass?

Have you played 'Spiritual Sounds'? First movement is based on it and it is an enjoyable piece to play. In fact all three movements are quite nice.... least favourite is the the third/final one but certainly worth a look at in my opinion :)

hornblower

have not no... but the piece we had is a good few minutes long, v dramatic, so think it's a different type of arrangement... cheers though guys will look into it!

stephen2001

I think that Joshua Fought the Battle, the Concert Band arrangement was done by a guy called Charles Richard Spinney.

It is the only concert band arrangement I have found of it after doing a quick search of the internet and I couldn't find a brass band arrangement by the same guy.

midwalesman

music...

How about some Bartok, Stravinsky and even some movements from Vaughan Williams' Sea symphony with optional chorus parts for concerts with choirs!!?? Shoshtakovich Leningrad symphony...1st movement ?

Owen

Being purely selfish, I would love to see some decent new repertoire for baritone! There are only a few decent solos with band accompaniment about and once you have played them all where next? Euph solos? Hmm.

On a less selfish note, I think it would be great if some of the great show tunes were arranged for band - we probably all played the selections from South Pacific / My Fair Lady etc which whilst they are fair renditions of the tunes are not alll that imaginative. I seem to remember playing a Catherall arrangement of Oklahoma a few years ago when I helped out Frickley on a job, which was good fun to play as well as being a good concert piece. There is some good music in there languishing under not so good arrangements!

All the best

Owen

Roger Thorne

A lot of these selections are now nearly fifty/sixty years old and I agree some of the more popular tunes amongst them could do with being re-arranged and perhaps given a Catherall or Snell makeover.
A lot of band audiences are still made up of people who remember these great tunes first hand, so maybe its time for a 'Musical/Showtime' rivival.

Midwalesman wrote:

How about some Bartok, Stravinsky and even some movements from Vaughan Williams' Sea symphony with optional chorus parts for concerts with choirs!!?? Shoshtakovich Leningrad symphony...1st movement ?

The above composers music is not readily available because their music is still in copyright. A lot of people presumme that a list of 'dead' composers like the one above existed around the same time as Beethoven and Mozart but they are in fact all modern day composers.

Bartok 1881 - 1945
Stravinsky 1882 - 1971
Williams 1872 - 1958
Shosty 1906 - 1975

So unless the publishers grant copyright permissions you'll have to continue playing the Floral Dance! :cry:

Brian

New Music

It was possible to get music whilst it is still popular...I remember Bestwood Band in Nottingham, playing at the Pre London opening of the films Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, outside a cinema in Nottingham. We had arrangements done by a London firm, might have been Brons Orchestral Services. And if you look at Dance Bands/Big Bands, they have arrangements as the pieces are released. There used to be a firm in Leeds that specialized in these, for any combination of instruments..again Bestwood had several at one time..

sparkling_quavers

Re: New Music

Brian said:
It was possible to get music whilst it is still popular...I remember Bestwood Band in Nottingham, playing at the Pre London opening of the films Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, outside a cinema in Nottingham. We had arrangements done by a London firm, might have been Brons Orchestral Services. And if you look at Dance Bands/Big Bands, they have arrangements as the pieces are released. There used to be a firm in Leeds that specialized in these, for any combination of instruments..again Bestwood had several at one time..

Yeah the band has a massive library...I will have a look through and see what I can come up with! 8)

Brian

sparkling_quavers said:
Brian said:

Yeah the band has a massive library...I will have a look through and see what I can come up with! 8)
I wouldn't waste my time if I were you,Sarkling Quavers..I looked for some when I was M.D. that I knew the band had in the 1960's,but to no avail..including the two selections I mentioned, of Mary Poppins and the Sound of Music..Both mss arrangements, and far better than the printed versions that came out two years later.. Try asking Newstead, in that period they were the Bestwood Junior Band, and had loads of music from the library, which was never seen again...and I mean lots...when I was librarian, there was over 2500 full sets of music, when I returned some years later there was less than 900...but nobody knew where they had gone..Almost all of the library that was purchased from the Sankeys Castle Works Band, an ex Championship section Band,had disappeared.....Brian

sparkling_quavers

Yep I know lots of stuff went missing...still loads there though. Loads of it is stored under the stage at the welfare and with the uphaul which is going on at teh moment it should be easier to get hold of it! They are knocking the community centre down and building a new welfare. Eventually we are gonna have a new band room which is even nearer to the bar. Nice to see you have been putting a few comments on our site Brian (even if they were picking faults :roll: )

cornetgirl

bigcol said:
Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis by RVW.

Ooh yes....that would be nice! Wonder if anyone's arranged it...

My all time fave is the slow movt of Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony but I don't think it would work for band.

Has the Schindler's List theme been arranged for band - that is one nice piece...

dyl

sparkling_quavers said:
cornetgirl said:
Has the Schindler's List theme been arranged for band - that is one nice piece...

Yes it definately has...don't remember the arranger though *not much help*

There are two arrangements that I know of. The better one (imo) is by Sandy Smith and was on the Kirkintillock CD 'Summon The Heroes'. the other arr. which I've played is by Frank Bernaerts.