New 2nd Section Testpiece

HBB

Hi Guys,

Just finished a new 2nd section testpiece entitled: "Repton Fantasy" (funnily enough based on the hymn Repton, also known as Dear Lord and Father of Mankind)

You can hear this from the SibeliusMusic site by clicking here.

Hope you enjoy it!

Ben

(p.s. sorry about the Tierce de Picardie in the middle!!)

brassneck

Sorry to bother you Ben, but ... is the Sib.Score meant to have a jazz rythmn throughout or did you forget to change the 'rythmic feel' setting? :confused:

brassneck

brassneck said:
Sorry to bother you Ben, but ... is the Sib.Score meant to have a jazz rythmn throughout or did you forget to change the 'rythmic feel' setting? :confused:

:oops: ... oops! something was affecting my midi playback! (I checked against one of my one sib. scores. It sorted itself out after rebooting).

brassneck

HBB said:
I was going to say! Jazz :eek:.. not really the piece for it!

... actually you would be surprised! (my midi playback stuttered along giving more of a 'swung' feel and some of it comes over okay like that ... esp. the theme! :redface: )

brassneck

HBB said:
*sings the tune in a dotted format :eek:*

BN.. do you have MSN?

:) ... I'll PM you with details! (I've never ruled out anything in the arts! Subtle changes even in error can have dramatic effects sometimes!)

Dave Payn

Ben, you are one supremely talented individual. Thoroughly enjoyed listening to it!

Couple of things.

I accept that living on a remote Scottish island for the past 13 months, I'm a tad out of touch with the general banding scene at present, but I personally think it's more 1st section than 2nd.

Lastly, I'm just wondering how the flugel and horns are going to manage breathing wise at letter Z.

Just minor points (and merely personal observations), bearing in mind I wish I had your compositional skill, which nevertheless, do not detract from a fabulous piece. Well done, sir!

Cheers

Dave Payn

But how rude of me! Saying I loved at and then picking out the bits I was uming and ah-ing about. The fugal section in particular, and the canon at letter Z are strokes of utter genius. Brilliant piece. This needs to be pushed and promoted. I am in awe, genuinely!

HBB

Wow! Thanks Dave. I read your review on SibMus too.

My band played it last night (minus trombones and percussion) and it does appear that it's probably a tad harder than 2nd section! As for the Breating at [Z], it's soo loud that as long as the players stagger that won't be a problem.

Once again, I compose cos I love doing it, and if other people enjoy it too, then that makes me even happier! :D

It's a fantastic piece, had a blast through the solo cornet part the other night, it's challanging for second section, but i'm sure bands could rise to the challange.
You're a fantastic composer Ben, keep at it!

Well Done Mate! xx

TIMBONE

I wish I had been able to write music like that when I was 17 Ben, just think what you will be turning out in several years time. I particularly like the eccentricity of it, that is not an insult, it is the music of today, containing unpredictability and surprises. You sit back listening to a section, then all of a sudden, something unexpected happens - BANG - and it makes you smile. Ben, this piece is above the standard of one or two test pieces I have actually played or heard in contests!

Dave Payn

TIMBONE said:
I wish I had been able to write music like that when I was 17 Ben, just think what you will be turning out in several years time. I particularly like the eccentricity of it, that is not an insult, it is the music of today, containing unpredictability and surprises. You sit back listening to a section, then all of a sudden, something unexpected happens - BANG - and it makes you smile. Ben, this piece is above the standard of one or two test pieces I have actually played or heard in contests!

Mr Paton has hit the nail on the head. I was struggling for a word to describe the overall effect this piece had on me, but 'eccentricity' sums it up perfectly (and like Tim, I mean that in its most complimentary sense)

Apologies for the typo in the Sibelius website review. 'He kindly cites in influences' should have read 'He kindly cites HIS influences'. If I had a band on Arran capable of playing it, I'd enjoy the challenge of conducting/rehearsing it. Maybe in a few years time (I'm not dismissing the piece because it's above the standard of Arran Brass right now. . :)) but on its own merits, it's a corker!

Dave Payn

p.s (I've now listened to this piece 10 times, such is my admiration). A purely 'fantasy driven' idea (and not a suggestion, as such!), but in a brass band Utopian world, wouldn't you just love a Crockford-esque bumper-up sop smacking a high (written) Eb (above, but including the high Bb you've written...) in the penultimate bar. An icing on a very rich musical cake! :)

Excuse my fantasy world, Ben! ;)

Roger Thorne

I've had the pleasure of listening to most of Ben's works and he has an exceptional talent for writing music. You have again produced a 'corker' here Benny Boy and I hope you have lots of success with it.

Nice one.

:tup

HBB

Hehe.. I'd love for that Eb just to sing over the band. Where's Peter Roberts when you need him.

A genuine question now, what's the best way to go about getting it recorded sounding, well, good?

Will the Sec

HBB said:
Hehe.. I'd love for that Eb just to sing over the band. Where's Peter Roberts when you need him.

A genuine question now, what's the best way to go about getting it recorded sounding, well, good?

Answers on a postcard....

Suggest you have a chat with Borfeo. One of his bands has/had an arrangement with a composer.

You could hire a champ section band for a day, but with all the recording costs thrown in, it'll cost you a couple of grand. It might be best to let the quality of the piece shine through the morass of Sibleius and Scorch, and let conductors make their own arrangements.

Good luck.

Rapier

Supporting Member
Shame my Soundblaster Audigy soundcard makes it sound like a Rolf Harris stylophone tune. Very nice, glad I'll never have to play it though. :D Obviously doesn't like us Horns. :eek: