Never stop playing!

Cornishgal

I know the feeling only too well i stopped playing for 4 years, when i left i was on 1st baritone. I started playing again in April after being mobbed back into it by a friend, best thing i've done in a while didn't realise how much i missed playing and the banter that goes on with it. First night there tho i was plonked on Rep Cornet, omg did my lips have a shock, and they continued to be in shock for quite a while to follow!! Now i'm getting there i'm sounding much better in tone and even managing to play the whole way through concerts and practices without my lip going numb!! but there still is improvement to be made as in trying to hit those top notes haha

brassbandmaestro

I had a gap of 6 years. Never again, although I was asked to play 2nd Baritone, then my old instrument became available and so from then it was like ducks to water. It was if I hadnt stopped. Well took me about a fortnight to get into the throws of things but the MD was quite impressed, thankfully!!!

sharpnote

I've got to play my euph tonight after a break of about 7 weeks or so. It should be fun. Dep'ing a gig on sunday then my first rehearsal with my new band on Monday night on bari for the Open.. I don't want to be cr@p!

I used to practice for a few hours every day and literally couldn't play if I missed a day however now I don't play regularly (mainly helping other bands once a month or so) I seem to be able to pick it up a few days before playing in front of someone and manage to get the lip and sound working well. I start off light with long notes, taking breaks regularly to let the blood flow back, then running through Vizutti studies which conveniently get harder to perform through the book. On the 2nd day I'll do all the studies again then a few pieces, possibly going on for a couple of hours with good resting. As long as I concentrate on getting the basics, ie. tonguing, embrochure, fast fingers accurate, the rest tends to take care of itself.... at least for another week.

Sometimes when you have a break for a week or two you can actually come back nice and fresh.

I gave my cornet a bath last night and it is now sparkling and ready to get back up to speed.

flugelgal

They found me a cornet last night. I've been playing 2nd, 3rd and rep on my flugel, which has been most interesting! I'll have to find a suitable mouthpiece (ie not a Denis Wick as I don't like the "sharp" edges on those) and see what it sounds like. If I end up on rep I have my work cut out - no getting away from fast stuff that I usually shy away from!

Keppler

Staff member
Well - hullo to all the old names, and the new ones.
I don't know if I should be glad that I've been able to get through the first couple of rehearsals without disgracing myself too badly, or to cry that it's taken me so little time to get to a stage where I think I'm not disgracing myself.
I must be naturally talented - that's it.

Experiencing the same sort of issues as K at the moment - I know what I want to do, and I know what I should be doing to get there, but I've forgotten how to do it.
All the stuff I used to tell people about supportive airflow and dealing with articulation and stuff - I still remember the stuff - just that my muscles have forgotten how to do it, and my brain has forgotten how to toll my muscles to remember!

Being somewhat goal oriented - how would folk advise the retraining of deviant playing muscles, ideally in such a way that improvement is measurable?

Keppler

Staff member
*waves*
From a quick perusal, I see that despite my extended afk, I am still in the top 30 posters ever!
Bunch of slackers!

flugelgal

*waves*
From a quick perusal, I see that despite my extended afk, I am still in the top 30 posters ever!
Bunch of slackers!

I hate to say this to a Moderator, especially such a wonderful lovely one, but:

BACK ON TOPIC!!!!! :wink:

(I tried to give him some tips but to be honest I wouldn't trust my own tips just now either - which I guess is why he's asking here).

Keppler

Staff member
It's not that the tips aren't welcome - or that they're not the right things to be doing. I'm just missing the small "in-between" things which bridge the intention to do something and the effect of doing it.

For a simple indicative example - how do I "arch" my tongue? How do I know if it's arched or not? At the moment, I'm at the stage of saying "Go on, tongue! Arch! Arch now!" which surprisingly doesn't seem to have too much effect.

These are the sort of things I'm interested in - ways to teach muscles to do the small things which make up bigger things, and then ways to know that you've managed to get them to do what you intended them to do. Ooh, and ways to measure progress along the way.

Not much at all...