NEMBBA contest at Derby Rolls-Royce 20th feb

Brian

NEMBBA Contest

One point I would make and I think the esteemed Mr Draper aliterated to it already, that the contest is limited to NEMBBA bands only. It would be nice if it could be made open to non NEMBBA bands, if only to flesh out the attendees. maybe some adjustment in the entry fee to non NEMBBA bands may attract, without having to join the association. Food for thought.

That is a suggestion I will certainly make at the next NEMBBA council meeting; but it is a painless operation to become a member, and as I said, it really only requires a letter to the Secretary: Certainly I can only remember one Band that was refused membership ( and that goes back over 45yrs since I have been connected)

timps

As I was up visiting for the weekend, I went along to the NEMBBA Contest on my way home and I have to say, it was a great afternoon of banding and a very well run contest. Facilities were good, the acoustic from a listening point of view sounded fine.

I think we are all too eager to knock contests, especially local contests, if we don't all support them they will die and then we will be complaining that they aren't there!!

Didn't agree with the results of the 4th Section, Newhall were a much better band on the day, with a great sound for a 4th section band.

NEMBBA Contest

I agree with Bones that it should become an open contest for other bands to enter, Maybe as an incentive for association members to enter promote a lower entrance fee. Sadly we were unable to attend due to key players on holiday and to use it as a run up to the area we wanted our own players round the stand. We are all guilty of not supporting our associations enough but sometimes it's not always convenient too.

Karen

Bassboner

"Timps"thank you for your kind coments regarding our performance:).We thought we had played well,and the comments are fair and construtive.

Last edited:

FlugelBetty

I was pleased with the result :) though I am biased, it has given us a great boost for the area, good luck to everyone going xx

reelbigtrombone

Quite a lot of people saying about how they thought Newhall should have won. No-one really showing support for the band that did win. If Newhall had won, I'm guessing the comments would be massively different. But, this isn't a democracy, the Adjudicators found what they were looking for in the winning performance, and very well done to Trentham, my old band. They have possibly the biggest number of youth players without being considered a youth band owing to the fact that the MD used to work for the City's music service. So comments slating the results are hardly doing anyone any favours, especially the mindset of youngsters who, at the end of the day, are the ones taking banding into the future. People didn't agree with the result, am I right in thinking they would have turned down the win...?
Congratulations Trentham, play well again and you'll be at the National Championships again like last year! Where we didn't bump into Newhall funnily enough I remember...

reelbigtrombone

A quick footnote too, Trentham qualified in the equivalent of 21st place having been the only band placed 4th who received an invitation to the National Finals. Then, we were placed 10th. Beating quite a few of the band that had qualified massively above us.

FlugelBetty

A quick footnote too, Trentham qualified in the equivalent of 21st place having been the only band placed 4th who received an invitation to the National Finals. Then, we were placed 10th. Beating quite a few of the band that had qualified massively above us.

hear hear! we are getting better and I think we deserve positive recognition rather than 'disappointment' in the result. i think we did very well, tho it wasnt our best performance. it says something when the adjudicator awards us first prize when we know we could do better. see you at the area :) xx

tubafran

I listened to every band in the 4th section and made a few notes. In my opinion all the performances included a mixture of good and bad points, varying tempos from written, usual tuning and internation issues and some very loud playing. There was only one band that I felt was above the rest and then after that I'd no idea. On the comments I'd made I really couldn't separate them. Considering these bands have just under 3 weeks before they have to perform this out in the area I'm sure they will all have benefited from attending and will use the adjudicators notes to good effect.

However Kevin mentioned bands playing too loud for the accoustic and one assumes that he gave those bands a lower position, or why else bother saying it. The bands that I had noted this "fault" with were in playing order Kirby (came 5th), Trentham (came 1st) and Newhall (3rd) - make of that what you will.

I was sat on the 2nd row from the front so perhaps the sound had changed by the time it got to the back of the hall.

Mallyl

Well I attended the 3rd & 4th sections and I have to say it was a great afternoon. The bands did play way to loud in certain cases, and I had the results completly different to those delivered as I am sure we all did. (IMO - Pleasley 1st, Ireland Coll 2nd, Newhall 3rd. and in the third - Rolls Royce 1st, Long Eaton 2nd, Chapeltown 3rd) Regards the organisation, it was brilliant, my only observation would be to leave the bands in the hall opposite until the percussion had set up so they didn't have to stand in the cold outside the main hall with the instruments getting cold. So well done to all involved, I look forward to next year and I hope more bands enter, run outs are great experience, especially for the young uns of which, thankfully, there were many!

Well I attended the 3rd & 4th sections and I have to say it was a great afternoon. The bands did play way to loud in certain cases, and I had the results completly different to those delivered as I am sure we all did. (IMO - Pleasley 1st, Ireland Coll 2nd, Newhall 3rd. and in the third - Rolls Royce 1st, Long Eaton 2nd, Chapeltown 3rd) Regards the organisation, it was brilliant, my only observation would be to leave the bands in the hall opposite until the percussion had set up so they didn't have to stand in the cold outside the main hall with the instruments getting cold. So well done to all involved, I look forward to next year and I hope more bands enter, run outs are great experience, especially for the young uns of which, thankfully, there were many!

Were you there ?? Mind you, it is a long time since Ashfield School band where our paths crossed very briefly.

bugsy

We were delighted with 2nd and are now looking forward to the area having taken on board the constructive criticism offered by both adjudicators. I did not get to hear any other bands so I can't comment on wether the result was fair.Needles to say I was happy with my my bands performance but there is still much to do before the area.They just about did all I asked of them and I couldn't ask for more than that.
Congratulations to Mike and Trentham.

Caprice

I had a chat with someone who played in a championship band and they would rehearse for one week in a similar room to the type they were contesting at. I cant imagine any bands competing on the day had done the same thing and perhaps to expect them to adjust the way they've rehearsed it is asking too much.]

Couldn't agree more! - I think critisizing bands in the 4th and 3rd sections for not adjusting their dynamics to suit the acoustic is definitely asking too much of them. Most of the 3rd and 4th section MDs would have probably have spent hours getting the more inexperienced or younger players to play UP to the dynamic asked for by the composer in the louder sections - and also to play as quite as possible for the quieter sections without losing tuning. To then be expected to adjust those levels to suit the room's acoustic on the day is something surely beyond the capabilities of most lower section bands when they have spent hours rehearsing it as they play it on the day.

From a lower section player's angle I would expect adjucators to be able 'see beyond' the room size/acoustic problem for lower bands and allow for the fact that it may be very different to what the bands have rehearsed in.

Apart from that it is a well run contest with good facilities and fantastic 'cheesy chips'! as well as providing the opportunity for bands to get feedback on their performance before the 'biggy'

Edd

hear hear! we are getting better and I think we deserve positive recognition rather than 'disappointment' in the result. i think we did very well, tho it wasnt our best performance. it says something when the adjudicator awards us first prize when we know we could do better. see you at the area :) xx

Trentham must have done something the adjudicators liked better then the others, or they wouldn't have come first. The band put in alot of hard work, and with less then three weeks to go before the area contest, Trentham will defiantly give other bands a run for there money.

tubafran

Caprice;776741 From a lower section player's angle I would expect adjucators to be able 'see beyond' the room size/acoustic problem for lower bands and allow for the fact that it may be very different to what the bands have rehearsed in. [/quote said:
That seems a fair point but the adjudicator did say if it was just too loud they couldn't judge it as they wouldnt be able to hear the detail in the music. Individually I suppose none of us think we are the ones that's playing too loud - it must be everyone else in the band :)

marc71178

Couldn't agree more! - I think critisizing bands in the 4th and 3rd sections for not adjusting their dynamics to suit the acoustic is definitely asking too much of them. Most of the 3rd and 4th section MDs would have probably have spent hours getting the more inexperienced or younger players to play UP to the dynamic asked for by the composer in the louder sections - and also to play as quite as possible for the quieter sections without losing tuning. To then be expected to adjust those levels to suit the room's acoustic on the day is something surely beyond the capabilities of most lower section bands when they have spent hours rehearsing it as they play it on the day.

From a lower section player's angle I would expect adjucators to be able 'see beyond' the room size/acoustic problem for lower bands and allow for the fact that it may be very different to what the bands have rehearsed in.

That's all well and good, but do you not agree that if there are bands which do manage to adjust surely they deserve credit from the adjudicator for doing so. It is a part of the performance (some would say quite a key part, getting dynamics right), so those that get it right should be given a better placing than those that don't.

BarneyEuph

The Benefit of Individual section Best instrumentalists prizes.

This may come across a little biased as I won one, but, to balance the comments in the thread, I think the organisors should be congratulated for the running of the contest and inparticular, the consideration and investment to organise the adjudicators and trophies for best instrumentalists from all band sections.

There are not many contests that include these prizes, which, for a small investment of a thophy (Being awarded a trophy has far more meaning than a cheque) , can greatly enhance the oppertunity for players/bands to gain a prize to take back to the band room, even if it's not one of the top three places. This creates more interest and excitement to the contest day and award ceremony, adding to a positive reason for more bands to attend the event, for a little investment.

I think other contest organisers should consider this cost effective enhancement to contest day.

Well done Brian and committee for investing the time to add this enhancement to the NEMBBA contest.

....And thanks for the Eric Johnson Memorial Trophy for Best Euph of the day. :clap: