Need help!!

Libby

Ok guys, here goes, I'm a bit nervous....first "new topic"! :shock:

I'm a lucky little horn player whose just been given a brand spanking new rather lovely little silver horn Besson Sovereign to play... sounds nice... but the valves are really really naff!!! Tried all sorts! How can I stop them sticking sooooooo badly?? Takes an hour to play a simple scale!! :roll: coz they stick so bad!

Feeling dead sad coz looked forward to this new instrument for ages and ages and now it's here I prefer my old one!! :cry:

PLEASE HELP ME!!! :cry: :cry:

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
Sounds like the valves havent been worn in yet.
Easiest way is to take them out, sit and watch an omnibus of Eastenders and rub them with brasso for a few hours (that should wear it off).
Hope that helps. :)

neiltwist

tewkeshorn said:
Sounds like the valves havent been worn in yet.
Easiest way is to take them out, sit and watch an omnibus of Eastenders and rub them with brasso for a few hours (that should wear it off).
Hope that helps. :)

I concur!

but make sure you wash it off thoroughly or it may be just as bad!

good luck!

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
makes sense, i havent actually done this myself. I'm not good enough to get a new horn so havent gone through it :cry:

There ought to be a wax version of valve oil available, then you wouldnt have to reapply the stuff every 5 minutes :idea:
Quick! Somebody patent it before Boosey nicks it :p :wink:

I did use Brasso but the problem did not go away and I was still getting lots of black gunge off the valves, still do infact, gave cornet a really good wash out yesterday and the valves, reapplied valve oil and today when I picked it up to practice, the valves are getting dirty again. Not sticking anymore but still dirty, help anyone..........

craigyboy1

I don't think there is a quick fix for sticking valves.

Change the oil regularly, daily if required. As you have already noticed the oil is removing the dirt with it. Eventually it will clear up.

The more you play the quicker the valves will bed in and the better they will get. You could finger scales whilst watching the Eastenders omnibus (not blowing).

Sorry its not a miracle cure but just think how strong your fingers will be by the time the valves are good.

Straightmute

Toothpaste rubbed into the valves is good. It contains abrasive elements which won't damage the valve, and it washes off easily (and tastes better than Brasso).

D

IckleSop

Like everyones sayin if its brand new you'll just have to wait till your use to it and its use to you, i mean give it time and it will adjust it's self to how you play, thats why i hate people playing mine, infact i only let leisa even touch it!

leisa

aw!! Didn't know that bex whys that??! thanx!!! But sayin that don't ever let Becky touch your instrument she breaks them for a living!!! :wink:

rdouglas1976

I may be well off the mark with this but why the hell would you want to put something abbrasive on a piston that has been precision made to an nth of an inch?!? Surely you will do more damage than good.

Yes you will need to clean them. You are supposed to clean them every day for the first couple of weeks because of the tiny shreds of metal may be left on the valves.

Have you tried altering the coil on the springs? These are much cheaper to replace, they may just need stretching or something.

neiltwist

rdouglas1976 said:
why the hell would you want to put something abbrasive on a piston that has been precision made to an nth of an inch?!?

because valve oil doesn't dry to any precision thickness!

thanks for all the advice, I do play my cornet every day and it has been washed out lots of times, it is now six months old and the sticky valve problem has gone but the gunge problem persists, but I will try cleaning them every day and see how that goes. Cheers :)

EIBB_Ray

I'm not sure how to refer you to an old post (perhaps one of the moderators can assist) it was entitled "Soverign Valves" that got entensive comment on this topic a while back (you can do a search to find it.)

There was also one entitled "Valve Oil" that overlaps with a lot of this discussion.

This may be of help to you Libby. There's a lot of differing opinion, you'll have to sort through it before you start grinding away at you new valves.

Libby

Thanks to all that replied. Did the toothpaste thingy - didn't really help but my horn was lovely and minty! :D It's getting better VERY gradually so I will just have to keep trying!!

Oh yeah, the scales whilst watching Eastenders seems to be helping too!!! :lol:

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
When instruments are brand new the valves are coated in a protective grease which makes them very sticky. Wash and dry throughly. The n apply a valve oil such as blue juice which contains a cleaning agent. This may need to be repeated a couple of times but should solve the problem