NATIONALS!!!!!! Its that time again for random guesswork?

Andy_Euph

If i'm right in thinking that the tespieces for the national finals are announced on the 1st of June, so in that case only a month to go!!!

So has anyone heard some informed rumours as to the choices or what is your preferences/guesses for the pieces... c'mon what do you hope/want it to be?

Following the Paul Hindmarsh thing, methinks that this Kapitol people will pick "proper" band tespieces from maybe the 70's and 80's...

Pieces I would love to be chosen

Champ: I think this will be the only new one... maybe by Peter Graham or someone

1st Section: James Cook Circumnavigator - ace bit of music

2nd Section: Un vie de Matelot -good challenge, sort the bands out

3rd Section: Sinfonietta, The Wayfarer - I know this has been used at this level before but still a challenge for bands to get there teeth into.

4th Section: Moorside Suite - easy - i think not!

Borfeo

Moorside suite for the 4th section? Are you a sadist? :twisted:

I think a decent 4th section test would be something like Divertimento Brian Kelly, Partita by Philip Wilby, or something newer, I can't see it being another 70's 80's piece in the 4th, possible a golden oldie??

Whatever we think it'll be wrong anyway, lol

nickjones

The only piece 4 section bands get are " Golden Oldies" not fair...
If there is anyone out there who plays or conducts a 4th section band get SVoR for Band by Torstien Aagard Nilson - Nordic Sounds....great piece...would suit most lower section bands...

Lauradoll

Un Vie de Matelot? 2nd section. Lol!! :shock: As if!!! I think most 2nd section bands would struggle with this. Good piece like but wrong section I feel.

MoominDave

Bearing in mind that only one band of 13 that I heard last year at the 2nd section finals managed to give a really convincing performance of 'Sunset Rhapsody'...

Dave Payn

As a participant in the 4th section, I'd be happy with any of the following:

Moorside Suite (come on, the 4th section has had Vizcaya before. Think how much this COULD raise the standard of lower section band's quiet playing!)

Suite Gothique (nasty last movement, but not insurmountable)

Labour and Love (Heard Sandhurst Silver, 3rd section) give a well rounded performance at Hove on Sunday. Old fashioned? Yes, but still a classic)

Divertimento - Brian Kelly - as mentioned before in this thread. Used for the 3rd section areas a few years back. Would be a good challenge without being too tough)

Tintagel - Denis Wright. Again, used for third section areas a few years back. I guess many would think this too tough for 4th section, but to that I repeat - 1995 - Vizcaya! The work bands HAD to put in that year meant a higher 4th section standard than I have heard before or since.

Who knows, it might end up being a new piece!

bassinthebathroom

Know the first section piece is a relatively new piece.... so there you are.... you heard it here first, but I'm not going to reveal all!!! You'll just have wait until June 1st. It has however, been recorded by a well known band from a celtic part of the country. :lol:

Dan

bassinthebathroom said:
Know the first section piece is a relatively new piece.... so there you are.... you heard it here first, but I'm not going to reveal all!!! You'll just have wait until June 1st. It has however, been recorded by a well known band from a celtic part of the country. :lol:

Aww go on, give us all another clue!!

:D

Dave Payn

Perhaps (not for the first time) I'm missing something obvious, but IF they have all been decided, why are we kept in the dark until June? Seems pointless to me......

dyl

Dave Payn said:
Perhaps (not for the first time) I'm missing something obvious, but IF they have all been decided, why are we kept in the dark until June? Seems pointless to me......
Probably to give the publishers enough time to prepare the erratas? ;)

Dave Payn

dyl said:
Dave Payn said:
Probably to give the publishers enough time to prepare the erratas? ;)

Ooh, you cynic! ;-) ;-)

Andy_Euph

Should have said that these are all pieces I would've liked to seen come out... although I don't think for one second they will.

As long as we have something good to play thats right for the contest that'll do me.

Played Cherchebi at torquay the other year and thought it was absolutely cr*p for a nationals test.

drummerboy

Well, I'd heard (might be wrong though!) that the champ section is going to be a transcription, instead of a new piece. If that's the case, bring on Pines of Rome! :D

Dave Euph

A Peter Graham piece would be great for the top section! I like his music. As for the other sections, I wouldn't know, but I would be surprised to see maybe some Gregson sneak in there. :)

Naomi McFadyen

Champ section is a new commission...
Iain and I have come to the conclusion that we doubt it'll be a Peter Graham piece as he hasnt writen anything new for years!

However, I'm just gonna wait for the announcement on June 1st ;-)

Andy, I thought your comments about Goff's piece Cherchebi were unfair... I for one really enjoyed the piece a lot, as I'm sure many others did to... There's a big test piece to come out of Goff yet I'm sure :D

Andy_Euph

Naruco said:
Andy, I thought your comments about Goff's piece Cherchebi were unfair... I for one really enjoyed the piece a lot, as I'm sure many others did to... There's a big test piece to come out of Goff yet I'm sure :D

Well I can kinda compromise, I thought that the majority of the piece was good (especially the 2nd and 3rd movement) but I just think it was the wrong choice for the contest... every movement basically had D.C's and it took bands between 19 - 25 minutes to play!! you have to agree that for a 3rd Section piece that is far too long.

bassinthebathroom

Dave Euph said:
A Peter Graham piece would be great for the top section! I like his music. As for the other sections, I wouldn't know, but I would be surprised to see maybe some Gregson sneak in there. :)
Gregson won't write for a brass band contest after the Trumpets of Angels (or whatever it was called) incident. Also, as Naomi said, PG hasn't written a top level band test-piece for 7 years. Don't think he's written anything new. Here are a few names to consider: Derek Bourgeois, Philip Sparke :?: (care to enlighten us Philip? :lol: )... as for the First section.... I'm saying nothing.... All I'm saying buy a CD by the Current Welsh champion band.

Darth_Tuba

bassinthebathroom said:
Also, as Naomi said, PG hasn't written a top level band test-piece for 7 years. Don't think he's written anything new.

Wasn't Harrison's Dream more recent than that? :roll: (finals 2000?)

iggmeister

I did hear a rumour some time ago from a 'source' although not one of my most reliable ones. This source said it was to be a new composition by Derek Bouregois.

Time will tell...

Igg