National Youth Brass Band Championships of Great Britain

lynchie

do the band not get bored with getting the same piece out every year? I take it you don't work on it year round, but still I'd be thinking "Not this again"... I know I did with a few of the concert pieces at YB2K!

Dolly

Cornetto said:
Dolly said:
lizi said:
WOW.. chill Nick. :lol:

I'm sure it wasn't personal. :wink:

:D

hmmmmmm

what you hmming about? ;)
im a bored uni student on holiday...
fortunately im off to nybb for a week so i wont be bored anymore. haha.

I was merely agreeing in my own little way, I wasnt aware it was suddeny against the law i'll hmmm all i like thank you Nick

Back on topic!!
Congratulations to West Lothian, i am more than sure you deserved your win, especially with coming 2nd quite a few times to SHYBB! I didn't hear you unfortunately i was in Florida!

As to bands playing the same piece two years on the trot, we have to remember that older members leave due to university and this years band may not be the same as last years, (with new principals etc) and next years band may be totally different than this years and so on.

Borfeo

Congratulations to West Lothian, i am more than sure you deserved your win, especially with coming 2nd quite a few times to SHYBB! I didn't hear you unfortunately i was in Florida!

Just as a side point, West lothian I believe have only come second to St Helens two or three times, they've now won it twice in a row and they are the most successful band at that contest, I believe they've won the top section prize now 18 times!!?!!

Just find it a little bit silly that everybodies still shocked that they beat St Helens, no offence to anybody from St Helens, but nobody should think that West lothian are underdogs in these things, they most certainly aren't.

Rant over (Apologies, i'm a staunch WLSBB supporter and ex player)

drummergurl

lol fair enough, i think it was very close between the 2 bands as i watched and listened to west lothian play on the lickle monitor while i was stood waiting backstage. they played very very well and the adjudicators picked them to win, and 4bars rest seem to think it should have gone the other way round (well thats wot they hint at anyway) anywayz its wot the adjudicators think so fair dos and well in west lothian!

Borfeo said:

Just as a side point, West lothian I believe have only come second to St Helens two or three times, they've now won it twice in a row and they are the most successful band at that contest, I believe they've won the top section prize now 18 times!!?!!

Just find it a little bit silly that everybodies still shocked that they beat St Helens, no offence to anybody from St Helens, but nobody should think that West lothian are underdogs in these things, they most certainly aren't.

i meant since they renamed everything. ie - open/county section is now "premier" or whatever. As i said before, West Lothian and St Helens are two totally different bands to what they were a few years ago. People leave because of uni and age etc. That's the trouble (or the benefits) with youth bands, you're not stuck with the same old farts all the time!!!!

neiltwist

Borfeo said:

I agree West Lothian have a phenominal record in the 'top' section, but they had previously not beaten st helens in that section, who have won it three times on the run, as well as winning the advanced for three years on the run, and the internediate before that!

for me though, the greatest thing I get out of a contest is improving the standard of the band.

And for anyone who heard st helens at the bridgewater hall on saturday, I think you'll agree that if west lothian played better than that, then they definately deserved to win!