National Finals-when will there be a live stream?

Laserbeam bass

I think there is a serious case for moving the finals around. The SAGE in gateshead or symphony hall birmingham would be just as good venues and a lot more accesible for the traditional heartlands of banding.

Think they tried that with Sections 1-4 for a nanosecond and ended up with it being anchored in Harrogate.

Whatever the outcome, people will moan about where they take place, and how they are presented, how much it costs to get there, the hall, the amenities and everything else.

So my question is

If you say to someone I'm playing at the Sage on Saturday, unless they are from Gateshead way or the North of England, or are in a band that plays at BiC, what do think their response will be?

If you say I am playing at the Symphony Hall Birmingham, you might garner a bit of intereset.

If you say i am playing at the RAH, they will probably ask you why, as it is well known to the non brass/orchestral listening public.

Anyway, there is absolutely no chance of me ever playing in the top section at the Albert Hall, so I am quite happy to take the 45 minute train journey, for £2 and pay my entrance fee, and catch up with numerous friends and acquaintances, which you could never do via a live stream, except for MSN Messenger or something similar, that you can do at anytime.

DMBabe

Supporting Member
Anyway, there is absolutely no chance of me ever playing in the top section at the Albert Hall, so I am quite happy to take the 45 minute train journey, for £2 and pay my entrance fee, and catch up with numerous friends and acquaintances, which you could never do via a live stream, except for MSN Messenger or something similar, that you can do at anytime.

But that's fine.... it suits you because its on your doorstep. Consider those of us that would have to spend about £100 on flights or at least £50 to spend 5 hours on a train, plus half an hour to get to the station or airport, however much it would cost to get to the Albert Hall from our arrival point, then a night either side in a hotel??? I'm not prepared to fork out that kind of money to watch a contest but I'd watch it online, or at least like the option. Then there's the international contingent. Why should they not get to see it too? Or are we trying to keep the National finals "exclusive"?

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
It's just cost me about £500 for the weekend.....and - being one of the resident technogeeks around here I'm going to be considered heretical - it was worth every penny.

Just to be able to see MisTPerfect!'s face when we (just about) made it into the Hall for 'her Band's' performance, and for her to be able to see them all later in the pub....

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
Obviously not worth enough for me to get her username correct though :hammer. I meant JesTperfect! Of course.

It's been a long weekend....

DublinBass

Supporting Member
At Blackpool for example, no one is asking someone to listen to all 12 bands and that is the very beauty of our Area in that during the one day you can listen to 2 or three or more of every section. That has got to be a bargain for a tenner. If the non-bandsmen paying audience are going to be 'band geeks', then lets make more band geeks.

Actually, that's one of the reasons why I like the Spring Festival and think it is one of the most under-rated contests to attend. Sure you don't get the Open bands, but there are 60+ good bands there and usually 3 good pieces to listen to. You can catch 2 or 3 bands in each venue, get some pub time with the friends, etc..

Rapier

Supporting Member
But that's fine.... it suits you because its on your doorstep. Consider those of us that would have to spend about £100 on flights or at least £50 to spend 5 hours on a train, plus half an hour to get to the station or airport, however much it would cost to get to the Albert Hall from our arrival point, then a night either side in a hotel??? I'm not prepared to fork out that kind of money to watch a contest but I'd watch it online, or at least like the option. Then there's the international contingent. Why should they not get to see it too? Or are we trying to keep the National finals "exclusive"?

I'm with you. I'd like to listen on line too. The costs and amount of time involved, put me off travelling to the venues.

DMBabe

Supporting Member
It's just cost me about £500 for the weekend.....and - being one of the resident technogeeks around here I'm going to be considered heretical - it was worth every penny.

Just to be able to see MisTPerfect!'s face when we (just about) made it into the Hall for 'her Band's' performance, and for her to be able to see them all later in the pub....

It's different if you have a personal investment but I don't think its worth it for a bunch of people I don't care about. I'd go if those I care about's bands were on too. But the chances of that?? :pig

craigster

I think they are missing out on some revenue generating opportunities by not streaming it live. Even if they just limited access to non-UK ISP's, I am sure they could draw some decent revenue by charging a small access fee. There are a lot of Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Europeans etc. who do not have the opportunity to attend and giving them access would not hurt the live attendance.

I made the trip over from Canada in 2003 for the contest (Masquerade - an awesome day) and I dare say that being able to experience it in some small part online would more than likely encourage me to make the trip over once again.

I loved that the Europeans gave us access this year and hope more organizers do the same.

Aidan

because of the costs... just ask yamaha and the bandsman how much profit they made from the european streaming (and you won't get anywhere NEAR that amount of subscribers for the national finals, even with a massive publicity operation like they did for the euros..) I think you'll find the answer is DEEP in the red... but its a step forward in terms of the movement, and has been demanded for a long time.
Will they do it again? of course, but not at every event, it's unsustainable.

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
because of the costs... Just ask yamaha and the bandsman how much profit they made from the european streaming (and you won't get anywhere near that amount of subscribers for the national finals, even with a massive publicity operation like they did for the euros..) i think you'll find the answer is deep in the red... But its a step forward in terms of the movement, and has been demanded for a long time.
Will they do it again? Of course, but not at every event, it's unsustainable.

+1

Beesa

OK, to illustrate my point, this year I would have been pleased to see the Nationals from even a laptop camera and microphone. OK, I'll push it even further, from a mobile phone.

Obviously not hi-fidelity and all that but so what, I would have watched it all day and been pleased to see the bands taking the stage, and maybe joined in with a bit of Twittery and all that.

Who knows, I might even have decided to get my anorak out and go along to the Albert Hall the following year.

Last edited:

Laserbeam bass

OK, to illustrate my point, this year I would have been pleased to see the Nationals from even a laptop camera and microphone. OK, I'll push it even further, from a mobile phone.

Obviously not hi-fidelity and all that but so what, I would have watched it all day and been pleased to see the bands taking the stage, and maybe joined in with a bit of Twittery and all that.

Who knows, I might even have decided to get my anorak out and go along to the Albert Hall the following year.

After watching it from the comfort of your own place, and not having to pay (even for London) inflated food and drink prices, travel, hotel accomodation etc...... :confused:

Beesa

Well, as I suggested, I am a bit of an anorak at times!

Even with top notch broadcasting equipment the sound at home is never going to be much cop, and unfortunately some people think this is the point. It isn't.

The point is that for very little outlay (I'll just say that again...very little outlay) a taste of the National Finals and anywhere else for that matter, could be brought into the comfort of my own home. If I like what I hear then the chances are I will want to go and see it all live sometime.

A comment has been made that unless the recording is very good then it might deter people from Brass Bands altogether. Which sounds to me to be a desperate point of view plucked out of the air for the sake of argument.

Anyway, I've done my bit. I will let the powers that be catch up with the technology readily available.

I was involved in the live streaming project for the Europeans and it was a huge undertaking, although at the same time a very exciting project. It is a good step into the 21st century for banding but as Aiden said it was incredibly expensive to do. It made sense to do it at the Europeans as the event was completely sold out and lets face it, Linz is not the easiest or cheapest place for people to get to!

However, there is the fear that streaming will affect ticket sales at the event, and whilst turn out was okay at the RAH this year, you don't want to jeopardise numbers of attendees. If you start doing that then the organisers will not be able to afford to hold the event at the RAH any more.

There's certainly no chance of free Live Streaming, due to the huge costs involved - particularly if you want high quality streaming.

However there are plans for more live streaming - watch this space!!!!

Rapier

Supporting Member
Maybe 'not so good' live streaming would be a better choice? That way those that can't get to a contest would still have the chance to listen. Bit like some of the stuff on You Tube, gives you an idea of the playing but not as good as being there.

WorldofBrass.com

Maybe 'not so good' live streaming would be a better choice? That way those that can't get to a contest would still have the chance to listen. Bit like some of the stuff on You Tube, gives you an idea of the playing but not as good as being there.

We wouldn't want to do anything that was 'not so good'. For us, it would be a case of doing something properly to the best of our ability, or not at all.

Product tMP members are discussing