National Finals 2011 - test piece rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc71178

Shall we invite Kapitol to a brewery and see what kind of event they organise?

Why, for sticking to their own set schedule?

The amount of speculation and leaking in the past I'd think they'd be more due praise for not having to release details early.

simonium

I was informed by Philip Morris the titles would be released this week. That looks set not to happen. Unless of course there is a huge fanfare tomorrow, and then I'll happily retract my comments. I would have thought, as this is an annual event, the easiest thing to dø is announce the titles of the pieces selected for the National Finals as soon as the qualifying rounds have finished. That way even if the pieces are not finished no-one can have grounds for complaint. Keeping everything secret leads to speculation, rumour, innuendo and guesswork, all of which I'll admit to being guilty of. I do not understand the need for such ludicrous secrecy.

Pav

I was informed by Philip Morris the titles would be released this week. That looks set not to happen. Unless of course there is a huge fanfare tomorrow, and then I'll happily retract my comments. I would have thought, as this is an annual event, the easiest thing to dø is announce the titles of the pieces selected for the National Finals as soon as the qualifying rounds have finished. That way even if the pieces are not finished no-one can have grounds for complaint. Keeping everything secret leads to speculation, rumour, innuendo and guesswork, all of which I'll admit to being guilty of. I do not understand the need for such ludicrous secrecy.

Footy season starts in August and yet I'm led to believe they haven't even worked out a fixture list yet. Won't someone think of the children.

Sparke piece for second section i believe. I did also Van Der Roost for top section though and the over-riding opinion seems to be for a PLC piece. We shall see

cockaigne

If they announced the Nationals pieces directly after the regional championships (and bearing in mind that the move to Cheltenham was only announced in March, whilst some area contests were yet to be held) we would be denied the following:

1) The pleasure of speculation, conjecture and winding each other up with wild (often fairly insane) guesswork
2) The right to grumble when the pieces finally are announced, and one section (usually the trombones, tubas, percussion, cornets or horns) doesn't like them
3) The chance to play something other than back-to-back test-pieces ;)

andybass

Footy season starts in August and yet I'm led to believe they haven't even worked out a fixture list yet. Won't someone think of the children.

Sparke piece for second section i believe. I did also Van Der Roost for top section though and the over-riding opinion seems to be for a PLC piece. We shall see

Good knowledge.but can you name the 2nd section sparke piece ?

simonium

You don't think you're being a little over dramatic?

No! I can imagine the pieces announced next Thursday, taking a week or more to arrive and then that's practically July with all associated difficulties that summer brings for sustained quality rehearsal. I don't like short intense periods of practice which is what I think we may be forced into, rather than a more leisurely approach that more time would have allowed.

MoominDave

I heard Force of Destiny for 1st, from a good source yesterday.

Incidentally, they played a Grimethorpe performance of that on Radio 3 earlier today.

But surely not another Frank Wright arrangement in the 1st after Carnaval Romain for the qualifiers?

Let's hear more from rumour control about the 2nd Section testpiece. If it is a Phillip Sparke testpiece as someone intimated earlier in this thread then I for one would be delighted.

toby hobson

Its been a good while since a perfectly good arrangement/comp was re-arranged for a major contest never to be played again in anger because the original arrangement/comp was granted old and yellow but importantly much better....... I would love to hear Ballet For Band at the area or at the Albert Hall.

Pav

No! I can imagine the pieces announced next Thursday, taking a week or more to arrive and then that's practically July with all associated difficulties that summer brings for sustained quality rehearsal. I don't like short intense periods of practice which is what I think we may be forced into, rather than a more leisurely approach that more time would have allowed.

Very rough sums, because it's Sunday night, but I think Thursday will be 107 days or so until the contest. Less 7 days for it to be delivered (could snow, you never know) leaves you 100 days.

That's 100 days for bands that, on the whole, will be at the top end of their section with decent turnouts etc. Yes, there will be people on holiday but you can't honestly believe rehearsing now (or back in April or May) would really achieve anything.

I think you'll all manage.

Force of Destiny would be fun (and make me feel even worse about not being there). Never could read that rep/flug triplet bit.

Zappa

From Mr. Sparke’s website I would say the piece would be a grading difficulty of 4 (2nd section), lasting approx. 15 minutes?

So unless it’s a newby you’re probably looking at …

A Celtic Suite
Diversions – Variations on a Swiss Folk Song
Land of the Long White Cloud (graded as 5 but I like this one …)
Portrait of a City
Tallis Variations (again a 5 grading but for future 1st section bands …)

andybass

From Mr. Sparke’s website I would say the piece would be a grading difficulty of 4 (2nd section), lasting approx. 15 minutes?

So unless it’s a newby you’re probably looking at …

A Celtic Suite
Diversions – Variations on a Swiss Folk Song
Land of the Long White Cloud (graded as 5 but I like this one …)
Portrait of a City
Tallis Variations (again a 5 grading but for future 1st section bands …)

Tallis would be too much Mr zappa (or may I call you frank) but portrait,s .now there,s a top piece.played by fodens 2003 I think?

Zappa

Tallis would be too much Mr zappa (or may I call you frank) but portrait,s .now there,s a top piece.played by fodens 2003 I think?

Of course, all my friends call me Frank! ;)

H'mmmmm now ... Portrait's of a City ... Could we be on to something???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Product tMP members are discussing