National Finals 2011 - test piece rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pav

Couldn't agree more.

At some point this week I would expect the test pieces to sneak onto the KP Website, without the aid of a press release. Someone will post it on here, then 4br will write an article a few days later, saying how much of a test they will be for the qualifying bands.

This is probably because the C section test piece has not been finished yet. Why should lower section bands be punished for the lack of a piece in the top section, where IMO, less rehearsal time is required, as the players ned to be of a certain standard, to be in a band that has reached the RAH.

How long is it until the Nationals? Got to be about 15/16 weeks. You don't need that long. They're doing bands everywhere a favour by not releasing it.

MoominDave

To be fair, 9 weeks of that is July and August, which are generally a bit of a washout rehearsals-wise. And then the first couple of weeks of September are generally about getting back up to scratch after that... Which leaves 5 weeks out of those 16, which is starting to think about cutting things a little tight.

baridis

Plus there's the Open at the beginning of September which takes up the rehearsals in August. It really doesn't leave much time, does it...?

As it happens I was in contact with Kapitol yesterday on another matter but thought to ask about the Finals test pieces announcement because many of us were expecting it on June 1st. I was told that the the info will be released on-line next week (prob Tuesday) to coincide with the publication of Brass Band World where, presumably, the same information is published.

Laserbeam bass

Considering that the BBW website is still offering to take orders for the 2007 diary, I would imagine that they may get round to adding the test pieces to their website in 2015 :rolleyes:

Pav

To be fair, 9 weeks of that is July and August, which are generally a bit of a washout rehearsals-wise. And then the first couple of weeks of September are generally about getting back up to scratch after that... Which leaves 5 weeks out of those 16, which is starting to think about cutting things a little tight.

True, but rehearsing the piece at the back end of May then doing everything you mention above is not going to achieve much either.

Having said that I'm probably just grumpy because we didn't qualify. :)

MoominDave

How about we organise a consolation Finals for all those bands that placed 4th and 5th? To be held in the bar at Cheltenham while we all bitch about how much better we would have played the pieces?

MoominDave

Extra tutting will be laid on especially for the occasion. Possibly even some synchronised intaking of breath if the demand is there for it.

Di

Anyone with this weeks British Bandsman? Any news in there as it has, in the past, appeared in the first June mag.

simonium

How long is it until the Nationals? Got to be about 15/16 weeks. You don't need that long. They're doing bands everywhere a favour by not releasing it.
There may well be bands who want to practice on a piece for that long - IRS very common for the Area pieces to be rehearsed for significant periods so why not give bands a little longer for the flagship National event? As Moomin says these next few weeks are normally pretty hectic and bands generally practice much less over the summer. Perhaps the elite bands should have their Final in September and the rest of us can have ours in October?

NervyBsMD

Extra tutting will be laid on especially for the occasion. Possibly even some synchronised intaking of breath if the demand is there for it.

Expect the tutting to not be together - and the intaking of breath to be totally unsynchronised. These will be, of course, people whose playing did not reach the standard required to qualify..........;)

Starting to get a bit frustrating waiting for the announcement - thought it might have been announced in the bandsman today, will we have to wait another week?

Andy_Euph

I noticed while looking for some music on Just Music they are listing that the finals pieces are available to buy from next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Product tMP members are discussing