3rd Section

1 - Newtown
2 - Trefor
3- Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen

4th Section

1- Ystradgynlais
2 - Radyr and Morganstown
3 - Crwbin

Adjusidcators were Steve Prichard-Jones (3+4) and Roy Roe (Champ+ 2nd)

Well done to all

Llongyfarchiadau Hogia Llanbabs!!!!

Chris
Well done to all

sparkling_quavers

Well done Dyl!!! I was watching this morning. Unfortunately I couldn't understand any of the welsh, although I did manage to pick out most of the bands name and the names of the pieces of music!

I only heard Treherbert in the top section but thought they put on a very good performance!

IYOUNG

Saw some of the contest this morning, like Sparkling Quavers had no idea what was being said, anyone throw any light on the two guys chatting in between bands?

Congratulations to all the winners of section 2 were very good indeed.

Ian

Da iawn Deiniolen ar y fuddugoliaeth. Rhaid i Trefor setlo am ail wobr unwaith eto! Pedwar ail wobr yn olynol rwan yn y Steddfod.

It's nice that the contest is televised so that people can watch all the performances. It was a pity that so many good bands from South Wales did not compete e.g. BTM, Cory, Cwmaman, Burry Port, Tredegar...

IYOUNG said:
anyone throw any light on the two guys chatting in between bands?

The presenter was Alwyn Humphries who's a renowned choral conductor in Wales. The guest was Geraint Jones who's conducted Trefor band for many years and yesterday led the band to second place.

Raspberry

sparkling_quavers said:
Well done Dyl!!! I was watching this morning. Unfortunately I couldn't understand any of the welsh, although I did manage to pick out most of the bands name and the names of the pieces of music!

I only heard Treherbert in the top section but thought they put on a very good performance!

I like SQ watched most of the performances over the weekend (most of it was on tape so we fast forwarded through the comments between the bands) and like SQ could not understand a word being said!

However it was good listening and well done to Dyl and his band on coming 1st palce in the second section today!

flugelgal

I'm sorry, I don't get digital/satellite/cable tv, so I missed this. I hear that it was good - well done to all the bands. :D

It's great that an event like this can be televised... maybe BBC Scotland will look at something similar sometime... :roll:

Moy

Well done Dyl and Deiniolen.
Thoroughly enjoyed the 2 days of bands....especially the Saturday when all the cute little ones were playing.........not saying that Dyl wasn't cute on the Sunday. :lol:
Which now reminds me ...only a fortnights holidays left in Scotland before we are back to school......aghhhhh

Come on Scotland we should do this as well...................think we would have to use sub titles!!!!!! :wink:

nickjones

Well done to Dyl and all at Deiniolen....
am sure if you tried 888 , you would have had english subtitles..
Didn't know Geraint Jones was doing a " Des Lynam "...I have to say that Geraint Jones is a top bloke and I had a great time playing for the Trefor band ( including a CD recording and a U.S. tour in 1997). If you ever in North Wales pop over to Trefor and you will get a great welcome.
good to see Trefor and Deiniolen flying the flag for North Wales bands down south at the N.E. in Newport.

nickjbeaumarisband said:
I had a great time playing for the Trefor band ( including a CD recording and a U.S. tour in 1997). If you ever in North Wales pop over to Trefor and you will get a great welcome.

That's very true and they were good times indeed. Nice to see you on the forum Nick! :)

nickjones

Cheers Mate...aye been 7 years since the band was in America..was a brilliant tour..Art's Performing Centre ( did you go there? :wink: )..Don't think Milwaukee has recovered from the Welsh Invasion!!!!!

A J Foad

It was a pity that so many good bands from South Wales did not compete e.g. BTM, Cory, Cwmaman, Burry Port, Tredegar...

I, like many others no doubt, would have liked to see some of the top bands fron S. Wales competing. It seems that for several years the Eisteddfod has been somewhat de-valued as a contest by lack of attendance from the bands. I appreciate that the first week of August is probably the worst possible time for most bands, but given the fairly high concentration of good bands in the Newport area, it would have been encouraging to have seen some more interest in the competition.

nickjones

I think Cory entered the competition in 2000 (the event was sponsered by Buy as You View )
Beaumaris entered in 2001 and won
It is a difficult time of year , normally national youth courses , summer holidays at the same time. I hope next years event at the Vaynol site a lot more N.Wales bands will enter , I mean it's bad enough travelling to the area and wasting £2000 , but you can't go wrong with digital telly coverage.
Maybe some of the top bands you mention have these problems ( as most bands do) with getting a band together for the competition , working in holidays etc...

Suz

Entry

I am not making excuses but we (BTM) approached the organisers and asked for an entry form to the contest. We were told all entry forms had been sent out. On further investigation we found out the entry form had been sent to an address no longer used by the BTM Band for correspondence. I have been contest secretary for four years now and the form should have been sent to me. When we asked for another form to be sent we were told it was too late to enter.

No excuses, we should have been more aware of the fact we hadn't received an entry form and questioned this fact earlier but we didn't because we were too busy organising the French Open trip.

The BTM Band did intend to support this contest.

Thanks!

dyl

stopher said:
Sounds like the Eisteddfod running at its efficient best! :wink:
:) For future reference, all entry forms for the Eisteddfod are available on the Eisteddfod's website.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who've left messages of congratulations - we were extremely please that all our hard work paid off in a wonderful performance - it was well worth the 7 hour bus journey on Saturday! :? I have to give a special mention to our soloist in the Section 2 contest - Jeni Lyn on Flugel - who gave a superb rendition of Georgia On My Mind. I've updated our website with photos from our weekend, if anyone's interested - http://www.deiniolenband.org.uk - to anyone who struggled with the Welsh language during the broadcast - why not visit our fully bilingual site for a free lesson in the language of heaven! ;)

It is a pity that more bands don't support this event - we have an excellent vehicle here - it must be the only band contest that's televised live - and we are in danger of losing it if support continues to dwindle. I know there are financial issues - we were only one of two bands to travel down South for the contest - but the Eisteddfod do contribute towards travel expenses.

A big well done to all the other winners, and also to Trefor for their second place on Saturday - da iawn chi bois!

sparkling_quavers

dyl said:
I have to give a special mention to our soloist in the Section 2 contest - Jeni Lyn on Flugel - who gave a superb rendition of Georgia On My Mind

Have to agree Dyl she was fantastic!

Is the contest only open to welsh bands?