National Eisteddfod Results

stopher

Think your band has to be based in Wales to be able to register with the Wlesh Registry. COuld be wrong though - as Nick has said before, Brighouse entered the Eisteddfod and got beaten by a 2nd section band - years ago like but were still able to do it!

Di

Well done to Dyl and his band on their excellent result.

Am really kicking myself for not getting the video set up before I had to rush out on Sunday morning. :evil: :cry:

Anyone got a spare vid I can watch/borrow? creep grovel? :p :wink:

welshmike

Congrats Dyl and say well done to Jeni Lyn from me! Heard it and thought she was brill. Not the easiest style to play in but she seemed really comfortable!

Well done mate,

boover

It was a pity that so many good bands from South Wales did not compete e.g. BTM, Cory, Cwmaman, Burry Port, Tredegar...

I think its just that time of year, i know Cory (or should i say buy as you view) and Tred are having a summer break after an exhausting calender just before they prepare for the Open. Others just missing too many players at this time of year(Burry Port etc.). We (Tongwynlais) were only able to attend due to the fact we borrowed the full compliment of players allowed which is a good job beacause after a fine performance we walked away as winners....well done chaps and chappesses. Big compliments to a great contest which we will return too again (perhaps even make the trip up to North wales next year)

nickjones

Yes must be exausting just playing at the Area and European...or just the area...well if Tongwynlais can enter am sure , higher ranked bands could have made the effort , who are pretty close to the eisteddfodd site. I mean I know its tough at the top but you have to support events or they get changes and morphed into less attractive events ( see masters story ).
would be good to see Ton or any other south wales bands making the trek up to North Wales ( maybe you can see how much hassle it is for us to make the trek down south for the area ).

boover said:
I think its just that time of year, i know Cory (or should i say buy as you view) and Tred are having a summer break after an exhausting calender just before they prepare for the Open. Others just missing too many players at this time of year(Burry Port etc.)

Cory used to support this contest, so did BTM and Bury Port. I can't recall Tredegar competing, mind (but I overheard someone say they took part in one of the Eisteddfod's concerts?). You would have thought that live digital TV coverage would have generated more interest in the contest. This may be a red herring but I wonder how reliant some of these bands are on students... it shouldn't take an enormous effort for bands of that calibre to come up with a 20 minute entertainment programme anyway!

nickjones

all of it mate....relience of student workforce..lack of support for the eisteddfodd..the difficulties in running a 20 min entertainment program...

nickjones

True mate......did you get a "group" together for the ensemble competition this year? for next year you want to try and get a TMP sanctioned group for Vaynol? will be a laugh and possibility of tmp'rs experiencing the Eisteddfodd atmosphere? what you think mate?

No, not this year but presumably Trefor will get something together for next year when it's closer to home. tMP group that's interesting: what was the tMP band like, have you been to it?

nickjones

I can't get in the TMP Band...too much competition for places..I would only be a liability anyway...
but the TMP band is really good as to what I have been told..

sparkling_quavers

welshmike said:
Being a newbie on this I didnt know that tmp had a band! Who is in it then?

tMP does not have a 'band' as such. For different events (like the Whit Marches) we get scratch bands together. All tMPers are welcome to take part in the events and we get a mixure of abilities and attract players from a wide location (like tMP itself!). The next event a tMP scratch band will be playing at is Pontins see http://www.themouthpiece.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9047

jim

Im pretty certain that a few more of the top bands in wales intended to support the contest the only thing was the amount of players on holidays for example if you have a couple of students they most probebly will be away, Teachers they tend to go away on holidays, some might have pregnancy's unable to play for obvious reason and genral holidays it leaves you perhaps eight players short and can only borrow five, could you see top welsh bands turning up a few players short you could imagine the rumors going around the banding would "on the TV today I sor xxxxx band playing they were two back row cornet players short! :shock: , whats happening over there?"
Plus the top bands in south wales probebly would not turn up in less they were in with a serious chance of winning, rember bands in the open nationals ect start back within a couple of weeks, bands who are not in the above contests may have intil october before there next contest.

stopher

Looking forward to next years competition already - 2 miles away from my house and there will be a bar!!! (if you didn't know, the Eisteddfod was dry until this year!)

Think its a great contest and one that more bands in Wales should compete in - just looking at the responses here show to me that a lot more bands that would love to compete and can;t because they aren't registered with the Welsh Fed.

Would have loved to have competed this year but my band could not afford the extra £2000 on top of Swansea to compete in it (ok, the bus would have been paid for but the band and players would have to cough up again for the hotel).

Just makes me wonder how many S Wales bands will pay the £2000 or so to come and compete?Might see what the Gogs have to put up with in competing in Swansea every year!

How many contests do you:

1) get travelling expenses (last year, this was more than we got for winning!)

2) Get on TV

3) Have a load of other things to go and see apart from the couple of trade stands!

nickjones

jim said:
Im pretty certain that a few more of the top bands in wales intended to support the contest the only thing was the amount of players on holidays for example if you have a couple of students they most probebly will be away, Teachers they tend to go away on holidays, some might have pregnancy's unable to play for obvious reason and genral holidays it leaves you perhaps eight players short and can only borrow five, could you see top welsh bands turning up a few players short you could imagine the rumors going around the banding would "on the TV today I sor xxxxx band playing they were two back row cornet players short! :shock: , whats happening over there?"
Plus the top bands in south wales probebly would not turn up in less they were in with a serious chance of winning, rember bands in the open nationals ect start back within a couple of weeks, bands who are not in the above contests may have intil october before there next contest.

Blimey Charlie what a load of rubbish....
1. 15 bands managed to enter
2. Bands in the Open / Nationals should be of a standard where a 20 min entertainment competition would not tax the old braincells too much
3. Would it be a disaster to day transfer a player or two , no....also if there were medical conditions am sure there are rules to allow this.

just look at the good points of going to the eisteddfodd
1.good prize money
2. a competion to enter before the nationals / open to keep you lip and mind in competition mode
3. National Television coverage...
its like most things , these events have to be supported if they arn't they just get morphed into something unrecognisable and not to bands liking...
just my thoughts.

Product tMP members are discussing