National Eisteddfod 30/31 July

dyl

nickjbeaumarisband said:
Anyway why spoil a great weekend of music making by petty comments?

Couldn't have put it better myself. Now - for the final time, let's stick to discussing the past weekend's comments - like adults, otherwise we'll have no option but to lock this discussion.

postie

Backing up Dinie I don't think anyone is suggesting that everyone should start speaking in English. It was a very interesting contest some very good music, it would have just been nice if viewers could have had access to some subtitles. So we could have all understood the post band analysis and the band interviews. I also think it is a shame that yesterday only 6 bands bothered to turn up what a pity.

Deano

Having just finished watching a recording of all the bands for a second time, I must say that I didn't totally agree with the results.

I would like to know the placing's of the bands outside the top 3 in the 3rd & 4th sections as in the 4th section I thought that Loughor may have scraped a 3rd place.

In the 3rd section I agreed with the first 3 but not in same order, I thought Beaumaris were unlucky not to win.

2nd section I thought Dieniolen had won, the RAF bands program seemed to stretch them a little bit too much.

Top section in total agreement with the result.

Does anybody now the full results?

Also, can anybody tell me whether or not the opening piece by Beaumaris 'B' is available to purchase or is it a special arrangement for the band?

And finally I think the reason that a lot of bands don't enter, is the timing of the contest. I know our band has thought about entering on numerous occasions only to find we'd be short of players due to holidays. What are the rules about borrowing, how many players can you borrow?

Tug trombone

The opening piece, by Beau B, was Celtic Cocktail, an arrangement by Gwyn Evans, MD of the senior band. I'm sure he would talk to bands wishing to play his work!

nickjones

Celtic Cocktail and Si Hei Lwi Mabi are both arranged by Gwyn Evans , and were arranged for the bands. will find out if they are available for hire / purchase.

As regards to day transfers you can borrow 5 players ( the rule used to state Borrowing from Welsh Registered Bands only) , A lot of bands borrowed players for the day ( we had to as our rep and 2nd man down were playing with the National Youth Band of Wales ), thanks to Bex and Dewi ( YBS and Menai Bridge) and Mike from the B Band on percussion.
Also well done to Dewi G for winning the Brass Solo over 19 yesterday..nice one mate

dyl

nickjbeaumarisband said:
As regards to day transfers you can borrow 5 players ( the rule used to state Borrowing from Welsh Registered Bands only)

I think you'll find that's wrong Nick. The rules have always been 'All bands who enter must be registered with the Welsh Registry'. And later on it says 'Bands are allowed to borrow 5 registered players' - there's never been a 5 Welsh Registry Regsitered Players in there.

nickjones

the rule was open to interpretation ( there was a rule change a few years ago ,ask Merion what the score 20 years ago or when the rule change came in ), As you remember a band complained about Deniolen at the Meifod Eisteddfod a couple of years ago.
still if the Eisteddfod ( remembering that the competition is run by the welsh regional commitee and not the Eisteddfod organisers)made issue of bands playing Non Welsh registry players am sure the bands would have heard about it.
Not a big deal , if you need to borrow players for the day ( due to player holidays , illness etc then use the rules in place if you want to play in one of the best competitions in Wales)

Deano

Cheers Nick, that would be great if you would find out if Gwyn would be willing to allow it to be purchased.

Tell him I'm a mate of the legendary Trevor (have bass will travel) Mumford, it may sway him.

dyl

nickjbeaumarisband said:
As you remember a band complained about Deniolen at the Meifod Eisteddfod a couple of years ago.

Absolutely - a complaint was put in because we borrowed a couple of players not registered with Welsh bands. That complaint was immediately thrown out. Interesting that same band made the exact same use of that rule this year eh?

Agree with what you say though, 5 borrowed players is a generous amount, and should be enough to let bands struggling 'cos of holidays etc. be able to compete.

Cochyn

Beaumaris did exceptionally well on Sunday, and my missus who plays 2nd Euph for them loved rubbing it in! :rolleyes: ;)

Deiniolen did well, especially Elin who played "Share My Yoke" very nicely! :clap:

Very impressed with R.A.F. St Athan when they played a whole other repertoire in the higher section...:clap:

In regards to Dyl's last remark about the non-Welsh registry players, I agree that the dirty tricks bands do before a contest isn't on, but if your short of players (like most bands were during the weekend), what else can be done. But then again, if they were all signed players, someone would have probably brought something else up to cause pathetic arguments! :rolleyes:

I though we (Llanrug) played very well....appart from my F# split near the end of my solo...gutted! Ah well, still enjoyed it very much! :biggrin:

Also, thanks to Sion who played Principal and Arfon who played Solo Horn for us...very nice sound in the horn section throughout! :tup

stotty74

Gaz Wynne said:
Regarding the issue of the lack of North East Wales bands entering the Eisteddfod, can I please state one factor that I think is a big reason as to the poor attendance. This area of Wales has been over run by English people coming to work and live here. As a consequence of this, the Welsh culture is most definitely being watered down as the vast majority of English people I encounter show no respect for the Welsh culture. I’m not saying all English people who come here are like that, but the vast majority unfortunately are. The attitude of some who come here is that Wales is an extension of England, which it most certainly is not. Therefore in this area of Wales, the Eisteddfod means little if nothing at all to a lot of people – this really makes my blood boil. I am posting this to illustrate to people what it is like in this area of Wales. If it was up to me, it would be compulsory for every Welsh band who wants to attend the area contest in March to attend the Eisteddfod. But unfortunately, it’s not up to me.
As a proud Englishman playing for a band in North East Wales, i thought i should now defend myself and others (i know you may not be aiming your comments at any particular person/band). Northop now have a large number of English people in the band (just under half) and as far as i am aware, none of us show any disrespect for the language or culture - one or two of us are even trying to learn a few words (except when it comes to the football or..erm...rugby!!) Most of our Welsh players are also fluent (including a lot of the youth band who are learning at school).
The main reason we decided not to attend was the timing. A lot of our players had already booked holidays, including our conductor, and would not have been available. We have discussed it, and the majority of players have expressed a wish to attend in the future, so as long as we know the dates well in advance we can plan for it properly.
Unfortunately, i was only able to listen to a couple of bands on the radio on saturday (i was going to Treorchy to listen to the NYBBW, and we lost the signal before the M6!!), but the fact i couldn't understand what the commentators were saying didn't detract from the music. I hope in the future that we will attend, even if i still can't understand very much of what is happening!!

LeDragon

You're right Karl, I wasn't having a go at any individual or any band. As I said in my post though, I was just illustrating what it's like in this area of Wales with regard to the general culture and the fact that the Eisteddfod unfortunately doesn't mean a jot to alot of the English people who live here - as a whole, not just with regards to brass bands.

Last edited:
Well in my opinion, I watched the whole of the top section on video last night, and I have to say I felt Beaumaris were in a class of their own.

Can anyone tell me what their programme was, I thought their opener was brilliant, and the piece they played before sospan fach was ace too.

A very sparkling programme i felt, although I was disappointed overall with the lack of entertainment value.

Well done Beaumaris, a well deserved victory.

Cochyn

They were alright I guess! :p LOL

The 1st piece was "Introduction", can't remember what the last but one was...loads of people liked that one. Will ask the missus later...

As for the whole Welsh/English thing...grow up people, already enough stupid arguments going on amongst band's, don't really think bringing nationalities into it is gonna help....which brings me to the point I made earlier...none of you would turn away a brilliant player from a band of the opposit nation would ya??? :wink: LOL

LeDragon

Cochyn said:
As for the whole Welsh/English thing...grow up people, already enough stupid arguments going on amongst band's, don't really think bringing nationalities into it is gonna help....

I was stating my opinion as to why I felt hardly any North East Wales bands entered the Eisteddfod - so don't tell me to grow up for stating my opinion moron.

Cochyn

Show some respect man, and don't insult me! All I attempted to do was stop people from starting arguments regarding the same rubbish that go on between drunk bandsmen at contests. That's all, don't take it so personal!