National Championships of Great Britain - 2008 - Qualifying Bands - Second Section

Chris Hicks

I can't ever remember buying a ticket for to listen to other bands in previous bands even though some people in my band i spoke said you did!

I went in a listened to one band last year! The band i now play for and almost certainly didnt buy a ticket! This year though went up with my performers pass and they said no sorry!
So did the old sneaky trick of getting my dad to come back out with a friends ticket! I was not going to buy one thats for certain!

And does anybody know what the performers is actually for? I wasn't asked for it once in the centre!?

Also was discussing the contest location over the weekend and there must be better cities for it to be held?? Manchester? More likely to be more hotels, nightlife, halls etc etc???

bbg

Hope that the (very) few over 18s didn't overdo the voddie, Mr Ralston.....all those impressionable youngsters around and all that! Commiserations to Campbeltown (or Campbletown as 4BR insisted on calling them - would they mis-spell the likes of Grimethrope or Balck Dyke? Didn't think so......), we finished 14th at Harrogate last year and in the immediate aftermath it's a bit of a downer after long practice sessions and a long trip, but overall to appear at these Finals is indeed an achievement for each band.

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
One thing I would like to thank the organisers for is the assistance given to the disabled. When I got the letter giving the details of the contest, there was a small paragraph asking us to notify the organisers if we had any players who needed assistance. As we have a player in a wheelchair I did that and the help we got couldn't be faulted.

As soon as I got in the draw I was asked was the player in the wheelchair with us. As soon as I said yes it was explained to me where the various lifts were to get him to the changing rooms and warm up room. The organisers also provided a volunteer who pushed Stan from the warm up rooms to registration and on to stage.

Coming off they brought him round to where the photos were being taken and then pushed him back to the changing rooms again.

This meant that all the band were free to concentrate on their own instruments and parts. A luxury we have never had in the past.

This is a system other contests could do with following.

The only thing I could fault on the day was at registration. As I was playing percussion I had to sign on first and then go straight up on to the stage. The only problem was that as contest secretary the registration table also needed me to confirm details about the number of players etc. and I was being pulled in both directions. Surely I can't be the only secretary that was also a percussionist. With a little advanced warning I could have made sure one of the other band members had the registration information.

Ali Woodman

designed to make money is alright in principle, but fleecing the people who make the event is not good business sense, especially as there is a wetherspoons just around the corner.
I agree. How can they possibly make any money though when there are hardly any people paying to go in.

I'm not sure if they have the same 'no bandsmen' tickets policy at the RAH. I was principle percussion with Sun Life Band for 11 years and played at many finals. I used to go and listen to the other bands regularly, and as far as I remember Cambridge was the only venue you had to buy a ticket for, and that was because the demand was high.

And as I said in my previous post, strange how it was free to see the 'York' sponsored soloist.

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
I remember a(n anecdotal) story about money being lost hand over fist whilst all the sections were at the RAH....absolutely no idea whether it was true or not.

It's very easy to put on the rose tints with the 'I remember when' stories - I'm incredibly guilty of it myself with certain things - but the business world has changed along with the associated business models.

I've got no idea of the margins involved, but it must still make money.

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
And as I said in my previous post, strange how it was free to see the 'York' sponsored soloist.
Why? They sponsored the event - free entry to the soloist(s) makes perfect sense if you want to maximise exposure of the instrument and it's exponent.

Depending on the level and amount of sponsorship you could almost look at it as a loss leader.

Ali Woodman

Why? They sponsored the event - free entry to the soloist(s) makes perfect sense if you want to maximise exposure of the instrument and it's exponent.

Depending on the level and amount of sponsorship you could almost look at it as a loss leader.
Yes, but surely it's better to have more people throughout the weekend to maximise brand exposure. The stage was very heavily branded but who saw it, wives girlfriends, mums and dads etc

I work in marketing and so understand all the sponsorship principles. If I was the marketing director of York I'd be on the blower to Kapitol promotions today asking what their strategy is to get more people in.

At the rate it's going the finals will have less prestige than your local vegetable growers show.

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
At the rate it's going the finals will have less prestige than your local vegetable growers show.
:D

I thought it was sponsored by York?

I'll get my coat :oops:

The Army and York tradestands were the only two that were outside of Hall D were they not? So in terms of walking past them instead of actually having to seek them out they were in prime position (such as it was).

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
...this is also leading to the (again prevalent in previous years) circuitous discussion about who exactly the audience is for these contests....bandspeople? Their families? The general public?

Everone who walked up the ramp to get to the auditorium walked past York....all the bandsmen who went through to get changed and back out walked past York....and the concert / recital was free....so in the context of exposure theirs was maximal given the way the event was organised.

I don't disagree with you that it'd be nice to get more of an audience and atmosphere - I used to love it in rooms of 50 to several thousand people so long as it looked and felt appreciative....but I fear again that Bands are always too introspective about the running of contests rather than looking at the bigger picture.

Last edited:

Hornic

I can see the bigger picture and I also get fed up with many of the moans and groans about the organisaton of events. My only grumble is that in such a prestigous contest why have bands play to an empty hall when other players would have liked to have watched.
For most players the weekend was expensive, the cost of driving to all the extra rehersals was expensive and the prospect of having to pay £10 to listen to a handful of bands in their own section was very disapointing, hence most chose not to.