National Brass Band Championships of England

tubafran

I''m sure Mr Ashworth won't mind me posting this here, it is a proposal that has been made to the BBE and will be discussed at the meeting in Barnsley on Sunday.

Robert Morgan.

BBE.
Robert, please find the proposal document I mentioned to you this morning.
You will see that it is, of course, subject to the BBE making several commitments, but in doing so, I see the future of the movement looking a great deal stronger than it has over the past few years.

Part1, gives the movement the notice that a fair and totally independent Registry will be formed, available to be used by any Contest and run to the highest standard of efficiency.
It is expected that Registration Cards, similar to credit cards will be used and ‘swipe’ machines will be used so members can swipe their card at Contest Registration. These cards are presently well into the stage of development.
The Registry will be controlled and governed by representatives from the English Associations, plus contest organisers and other connected bodies. Ie ABBA.
A full appeals procedure will be maintained to the highest level.
Regarding the Contest, the Rules will be very similar to those originally documented by Boosey & Hawkes, only modernized. (Presently being drafted). Below is the full list which makes up the body of this proposal, which may I say, has received the backing of several top Championship Bands.

Proposal.
1 – BBE needs to announce that it will release the Registry and allow it to be totally Independent, non-profit making body, with no connection or control from BBE.

2 – At the same time BBE will announce the formation of the National Brass Band Championships of England, emphasizing that, rather than a contest being run by a private, profit making organisation, the National Brass Band Championships of England will be operated as a break even venture, with commercial revenues being returned to the bands as either prize money and also used for future events.
Revenue streams for this contest would be:
Use of BBE arts council funding.
Use of BBE membership funds.
Ticket Sales.
Trade Stands.
Commercial Sponsorship and Entry Fees.

3 – The contest will involve only ENGLISH bands, competing in their current regional areas and with their current National gradings, with a representative number of winners going through to a National Finals.

4 – The National Finals will be held at a venue that can accommodate all sections within one weekend with pre-drawn lower sections to aid travel arrangements and to minimise costs to bands

5 – The winners of the Championship Section, will be crowned National Brass Band Champions of England, and, as a result, will become the English representative at the following years European Championships. The BBE will support the Champion Band by assisting them with travel costs.

6 – The prize money for each Section at the Areas, will be:- 1st - £500, 2nd£300, 3rd - £150
We will also hold a Youth Section contest at each of the Areas.

7 – The prize money for each of the lower section bands at the Finals will be 1st - 1st - £1500-00. 2nd - £750-00. 3rd - £500-00. 4th - £250-00.

8 – The prize money for the Championship Section will be 1st - £4,000-00. 2nd - £2,000-00. 3rd - £1000-00. 4th -£500-00.
All Trophies will be insured by the organizing body.

9 – Bands entering the National Championships of England MUST be registered with the British Brass Band Registry.

10 – ANY Band competing in this competition cannot compete in any other National Finals of Great Britain competition, or vice versa. Including qualifying event.
Timings should be similar to existing National Area and National Finals, but lower section finals should be in October, same as Championship Section

11 – The maximum entry fee for the regional event will be £100. There will be NO entry fee payable for all bands who qualify for the Championship Finals.

12 - The Rules need to be drafted to suit the competition but will include:-

1. Players from overseas must be registered through the British Brass Band Registry at least 3 months prior to the Contest.

2. Lower Section Bands may include 3 borrowed players from the same section or lower, but those players can only play in one band at the Regionals or Finals and then not on a Principal seat, there will be unlimited percussionists for 4th section bands, and these players may be borrowed from any section 2, 3 or 4 bands. Percussionists are permitted to play with their own band and one 4th Section band on the same day.

3. The qualifiers shall be selected from the number of entrants as follows: - 1 - 6 bands = 1 qualifier. 7 - 12 bands = 2 qualifiers. 13 - 18 bands = 3 qualifiers. Over 18 bands = 4 qualifiers.

4. All set Test Pieces will be selected by ABBA.

5. An ELITE SECTION will be formed which will include the top 8 graded English bands who will be automatically entered into the Finals. These bands will however, be required to enter the Regional Contests in order to gain their respective grading points. The top two Championship Bands, not including the Elite Bands will qualify for the Finals.

6. Each Regional Contest will be adjudicated by two ABBA adjudicators.

7. There will be no limit of bands competing in the Championship section.

8. All competing Bandsmen in all sections, will be issued a wristband not ‘Bandsman’s Tickets’ and allowed free entry to the halls, including Championship Section.

In order to make this a success, the BBE must sever ties with the British Brass Band Registry and then emphasize that the current National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain Finals is a profit making venture, and the prize money on offer, compared with the cost outlay for bands is completely disproportionate.

The BBE need to make it clear that the profits currently enjoyed by Kapitol would be going back into the very movement they are being taken from, and not to a private company, therefore competing in this alternative competition would be benefiting the movement not costing it money!!!

It would also be of great assistance, particularly to the Championship Section Bands, if the current Championship trophy can be reclaimed by Buffet Crampon and used by the new English Championship.

David W Ashworth

Well he might... Given he hasn't posted it himself of his own free will, and it doesn't much sound like you have asked for his permission....

Just sayin'

hobgoblin

Good on him, hope it works out. Maybe it'll put a bit of the magic back into the finals - I'm sure I'm not the only one with fond memories of finishing playing in the 4th section and going over to see the 'big boys' and the trade stands at the albert hall. I'm not sure London can work financially anymore (it was always ruinous!) but to have all sections in the same place at the same time again would be great.

Chris Hicks

Just a couple of points I have on this. Firstly, who decides the rankings of bands? And secondly, why a restriction on championship section bands being able to borrow a player?

Damocles

– At the same time BBE will announce the formation of the National Brass Band Championships of England, emphasizing that, rather than a contest being run by a private, profit making organisation, the National Brass Band Championships of England will be operated as a break even venture, with commercial revenues being returned to the bands as either prize money and also used for future events.
Revenue streams for this contest would be:

Use of BBE arts council funding.
Use of BBE membership funds.
Ticket Sales.
Trade Stands.
Commercial Sponsorship and Entry Fees.

Hmmm - I for one, will be asking why Arts Council Funding will be used to organise a Brass Band Contest. In fact, I'll probably ask the Arts Council if thats the sort of thing that tax payers money should be spent on?

Toby

How long will it be before the entry fee is increased for non members of BBE like it is with the current English Nationals? Isn't it currently £200 for members and £300 for non members?

Damocles

The clue, perhaps, is in the title ARTS council. It's exactly what the money should be spent on. Have we not a thread on this in the past?

The simple answer is NO - that's not what the Arts Council give funding for - we have private companies who organise contests at their own risk.

tojo

i suppose its one way to completely divide the banding movement , no welsh or Scottish bands involved , big mistake i think

The simple answer is NO - that's not what the Arts Council give funding for - we have private companies who organise contests at their own risk.

I think if you read Dave's letter you'll see that he is advocating excluding profit making companies.
Brass banding is an art form enjoyed by thousands. Why should it not be supported by the Arts Council?

katieeuph

Apologies if i'm not understanding this correctly, but is this basically pretty much the same as the current 'Nationals' (albeit with a few welcome changes), but just excluding Welsh and Scottish bands?

tojo

Apologies if i'm not understanding this correctly, but is this basically pretty much the same as the current 'Nationals' (albeit with a few welcome changes), but just excluding Welsh and Scottish bands?
looks that way to me

tojo

perhaps they should exclude all the non english players they have within their ranks so they can all be one happy english movement

jockinafrock

10 – ANY Band competing in this competition cannot compete in any other National Finals of Great Britain competition, or vice versa. Including qualifying event.

Does this mean what I think it means...? You can't take part in the areas and this proposed comp? :confused: