National Brass Band Championships of England

Sonorous

Imagining something, and stating fact are two things that you should be well aware of, considering the amount of times you have asked others on here to provide facts.

so you're perfectly happy for the two names mentioned to be brought into disrepute over a difference of opinion without redress? I would suggest the person wishing to pull down people who voluntarily work hard for brass bands needs to show that the work they do is any better or criticism of this nature is completely justified. My constant retorts on here have been for one reason only, because of unfair and nasty comments like this about individuals. Its uncalled for.

BigBlaster

Nobody is "perfectly happy" right now it seems to me! I do wish we had been better represented as bands and find it deeply worrying that it looks like we are not. I agree that there are some really hard working individuals and applaud them for this, but wish they had fully consulted us in this process. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Sonorous

The thing is they have genuinely tried to do what they feel is in the best interest of the bands they represent. Whether you agree with their decision or not. They deserve the respect to not be insulted in his way on a public forum. It achieves nothing. It implies that they don't have bands best interests at heart and rubbishes them as not caring. Please please please can people start to understand that it is simply nasty, petty minded and does nothing except upset and push away such hard working and needed figures within our community. If you think they're so bad at their job, get up and do better yourselves rather than be armchair critics (ps that's a general 'you', not aimed at you specifically bigblaster!)

Laserbeam bass

I can`t help but agree Mike, the 20th Century mind-set of 'lets organise a contest and they will come' is coming to coming to an end, the tipping point in the number of bands who cannot field a full compliment of players and then fail to support our contests is closer than we think I feel. Banding administrators especially those who inhabit the English regional comittees have to concern themselves now with the long term future of our hobby, it is no longer good enough for the likes of Peggy Tomlinson (as an example) to glibly state her remit is solely to run a contest for a private firm and by her actions block the efforts of BBE, who are least trying to widen the scope of banding administration in England and put us on a par with every other banding nation.
The irony of course is if quality people like PT and our own Brian Elliot down here in the Westcountry did concern themselves with England`s need for a national body, we`d probably be in lot better state then we are now.

your view that a national body will help things... Please don't drag hard working people down by singling them out on here just because their view of how best to serve the brass banding community may differ from yours. Constructive, not destructive please. I would imagine the amount of effort these people have put into working for brass bands far outweighs anything you've done yourself Ian.

Imagining something, and stating fact are two things that you should be well aware of, considering the amount of times you have asked others on here to provide facts.

so you're perfectly happy for the two names mentioned to be brought into disrepute over a difference of opinion without redress? I would suggest the person wishing to pull down people who voluntarily work hard for brass bands needs to show that the work they do is any better or criticism of this nature is completely justified. My constant retorts on here have been for one reason only, because of unfair and nasty comments like this about individuals. Its uncalled for.

So now we have a bit of context.

You appear to have only read the bits, and taken them out of context, in order to further this discussion. You also appeared to have missed the clearly labeled bit about irony.

Your posts take on a monty pythonesque hew. This is an argument, no it isn't, yes it is. Would it be at all possible for you to actually read posts through before you start taking umbrage for someone else, in some instances where they actually have a tMP account. Let them post their discontent, rather than you putting words into peoples mouths.

Sonorous; said:
The thing is they have genuinely tried to do what they feel is in the best interest of the bands they represent. Whether you agree with their decision or not. They deserve the respect to not be insulted in his way on a public forum. It achieves nothing. It implies that they don't have bands best interests at heart and rubbishes them as not caring. Please please please can people start to understand that it is simply nasty, petty minded and does nothing except upset and push away such hard working and needed figures within our community. If you think they're so bad at their job, get up and do better yourselves rather than be armchair critics (ps that's a general 'you', not aimed at you specifically bigblaster!)

Again you have missed the point in what appears to be a rather crude way to increase your number of posts. Your point is based on one part of a post that was later qualified, yet you still insist on taking snippets of posts, and turning them into something that for all and intent purposes they are not.

Look forward to seeing you post in the Introduce Yourself threads, unless of course you cannot, or will not, divulge your identity.

Mine's here. The only thing that has changed is that I now have a job.

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-15587.html

BigBlaster

Serious question (cos I only do serious ones, no sense of humour at all!) How do YOU know they have done this for the best interests of their bands? The NW region as I see it, did consult with their bands, I still haven't seen evidence elsewhere that this has happened with other regions, therefore I am still worried (although hard working) they have not represented bands.

Sonorous

Consider this option. Only one regions secretary has given the option for both cards. Only one. And this is evidence that every secretary apart from that one doesn't care for their bands, and isn't acting in their best interest? Is it not possible that they all think that extending the pain is worse, regardless of strong feelings? Maybe the nw has got it wrong (or their situation is unique - after all they were initially of the same view as the others) They all work so hard for so long, and because they're decision (almost unanimous) doesn't agree with yours on thus occasion, they've sold out and dont care? Just have a little care in who you try to bring down. Stop the personal insults just because soneones decision doesn't match what your own might be.

As long as people on here keep naming individuals in a nasty way i will keep replying. If you think its ok to do this then im afraid you really shouldnt belong in our community. You think a registry can harm banding? Constantly insulting those people working on our behalf is much much more damaging i promise you.

Sonorous

Ps laser. Some if these people have tried to reply and have been shot down every time. I am not putting words into their mouths. Severe upset and stress IS being caused. Think before we throw nasty insults about these peoples characters. You think I'm out of order defending them from people who dont appear to actually do anything constructive themselves, simply bring anyone down who they don't agree with? Look back in the threads, it happens time and time and time again. Defending this type of lazy, nasty approach does not shine you in a good light.

markh

Sonorous - I have found myself occasionally agreeing with you on some threads. I also applaud the fact that you are always right and everyone else is always wrong on every issue. However, you are really putting me off this website now - especially as you are so unsure about the validity of your own opinions (sorry - facts with supporting evidence) that they now appear as those of an anonymous troll rather than someone who truly believes them.

Sonorous - I have found myself occasionally agreeing with you on some threads. I also applaud the fact that you are always right and everyone else is always wrong on every issue. However, you are really putting me off this website now - especially as you are so unsure about the validity of your own opinions (sorry - facts with supporting evidence) that they now appear as those of an anonymous troll rather than someone who truly believes them.

Couldn't agree more with that statement. I only joined this site four months ago, but just before Christmas I had to take a few days away, as the unqualified constant ranting of an individual got to me. Its a discussion site and by nature there will be disagreements and differing opinions, thats good. I'm not always right as no one is. But I personally think that anyone posting on here should have the decency to disclose who they are, not so that a witch hunt can be carried out or you can go round someone's house to 'sort them out'. No, I believe if you don't have a cloak to hide behind people will respect your view point more.

Sonorous

Ok its fairly simple. Have a lot of personal insults been thrown at certain individuals in these threads? Yes. That's it. That's all. Get it into your heads that this is out if order. If you can't grasp that then you really aren't the sort of people that deserve to be listened to.

markh

OK Mr "la la not listening but must have the last word". A few things:

1) Are you accusing me of personal insults in this thread? Please elucidate
2) I know that you have thrown plenty on personal insults around (specifically around people's honesty and intelligence) so don't be so hypocritical as to object to something that you are deliberately fueling. Don't forget that in the misplaced joke thread you bragged about your own hypocrisy
3) I may not a poster that anyone would miss but, I thought this was a website for the brass playing community. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, and I haven't decided on my own viewpoint on this particular issue, has been completely dominated by your c. 400 posts in 3 months. Why don't you set up your own thread so as not to ruin other people's.
4) You can get this from my profile but my name is Mark Hall. I am not ashamed of my opinions. Still ashamed of yours?
5) I know you will ignore all this and come back with the last word. Well done you!

boourns

Consider this option. Only one regions secretary has given the option for both cards. Only one. And this is evidence that every secretary apart from that one doesn't care for their bands, and isn't acting in their best interest? Is it not possible that they all think that extending the pain is worse, regardless of strong feelings?
Blimey. So, regardless of how strongly the bands that are actually affected by the rule change feel, if the regional committees think they are in the right then that's all that matters?

Maybe the nw has got it wrong (or their situation is unique - after all they were initially of the same view as the others)
Maybe they have, but even so they will be wrong at the behest of their bands. I don't understand the bit in brackets.

They all work so hard for so long, and because they're decision (almost unanimous) doesn't agree with yours on thus occasion, they've sold out and dont care? Just have a little care in who you try to bring down. Stop the personal insults just because soneones decision doesn't match what your own might be.
Nobody doubts how hard they all work, but that doesn't place them above criticism where it is justified. And note that criticising is not the same as insulting.

Sonorous

OK Mr "la la not listening but must have the last word". A few things:

1) Are you accusing me of personal insults in this thread? Please elucidate
2) I know that you have thrown plenty on personal insults around (specifically around people's honesty and intelligence) so don't be so hypocritical as to object to something that you are deliberately fueling. Don't forget that in the misplaced joke thread you bragged about your own hypocrisy
3) I may not a poster that anyone would miss but, I thought this was a website for the brass playing community. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, and I haven't decided on my own viewpoint on this particular issue, has been completely dominated by your c. 400 posts in 3 months. Why don't you set up your own thread so as not to ruin other people's.
4) You can get this from my profile but my name is Mark Hall. I am not ashamed of my opinions. Still ashamed of yours?
5) I know you will ignore all this and come back with the last word. Well done you!

ok confused. Do you want me to answer it nit?

Sonorous

boourns, if you can look back through these threads without seeing a whole host of particularly nasty personal insults against these individuals (liars, corrupt, sold out, dont care, only after one thing, etc etc etc) you might want to give your moral compass a bit if a shake, its stopped working.

markh

Sonorous

I presume by "nit" you mean "Mark"? Those keys are too close together aren't they? I would love you to answer my points but I fear you will just ignore my points and post something irrelevant.

boourns

boourns, if you can look back through these threads without seeing a whole host of particularly nasty personal insults against these individuals (liars, corrupt, sold out, dont care, only after one thing, etc etc etc) you might want to give your moral compass a bit if a shake, its stopped working.
Any plans to actually answer the point, or are you just intent on insulting me? Again.

I'd also be interested to see if you can find me insulting any individuals in all those threads you are talking about. It's not out of the question, we all have our off days after all, but I'd certainly be surprised.

Sonorous

Any plans to actually answer the point, or are you just intent on insulting me? Again.

I'd also be interested to see if you can find me insulting any individuals in all those threads you are talking about. It's not out of the question, we all have our off days after all, but I'd certainly be surprised.

so do you agree that there have been a lot of personal insults about these people then? Ok, good. We're on the same page then :)

boourns

so do you agree that there have been a lot of personal insults about these people then? Ok, good. We're on the same page then :)
It depends on who "these people" are, and what you consider "a lot". I can remember one or two over-robust remarks aimed at the likes of Peggy Tomlinson, but I actually think you are overstating the case a bit. However you have definitely outright insulted me on a number of occasions recently.

Any plans yet to answer the point I raised?

Sonorous

An the post that started this latest banter off was a dig at Peggy as well. Isn't the best way to deal with this latest back and forth simply to say, "Let's stop dragging down people's names because we disagree with them'. That's all it is. it's a very simple point isn't it?

Laserbeam bass

Ps laser. Some if these people have tried to reply and have been shot down every time. I am not putting words into their mouths. Severe upset and stress IS being caused. Think before we throw nasty insults about these peoples characters. You think I'm out of order defending them from people who dont appear to actually do anything constructive themselves, simply bring anyone down who they don't agree with? Look back in the threads, it happens time and time and time again. Defending this type of lazy, nasty approach does not shine you in a good light.

Yet you still continue to accept the role of the knight in shining armour, when as far as I know, no-one has asked you to do so.

Where I picked up on this thread, the issue was that the statement about "only running the regionals for Kapitol" and the secondary, and more important part about it being ironic, that one or two, should they wish to, could make a massive difference to how the Brass Bands of England could be managed.

It amazes me that someone of your intellect seems to have such a hard time in reading the written language. You insinuate that I must be for this type of behaviour as I have picked up on your inability to see the micro picture, when all you can see is the bigger picture, and nothing else. The only person who appears to be defending their posts in this thread is you.

The only matter you have actually kept quite about, which is of course your right, is your credentials to be posting on behalf of everyone, and insisting that unless it meets your particularly narrow view of banding, and the world in general, it must be something to defended to the hilt.

If your only interest on here is to create a diplomatic and tactful debate, can I suggest that you choose something where the subject has been researched previously, and that irrefutable facts can be brought in to the discussion.

Look forward to seeing your Introduction and also to catching up at any of the major contests this year, unless of course you are too busy, posting on here to entertain actually playing at a contest.