Name changes

timbloke

In light of the recent change in the Footbal Divisions thus

Old New
Premiership Premiership
Division 1 Championship
Div 2 League 1
Div 3 League 2

and the fact that at the last change (Premiership being introduced) the Brass band world made a similar change, what this time? should we rename the 1st section to give a more "professional" status (the excuse for the football change) and what should we call it?

Or should we as has been suggested create a defined two-tier Champ section rather than the two-tier one that exists at the moment between the bands that win it or are always at the top and those that hover between Champ and First section.

Comments if you will.

Heather

I agree with a 2 tiered Championship section. Perhaps an 'elite' section and then a 'championship section'., maybe with the very best 1st section bands being moved up to the new 'championship' section.

Dave Payn

I think it's derogatory to have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and fourth section; implying that bands are of a lesser standard than others. From now, all bands in the country should be divded into 5 tiers of Championship Section bands, with numbers 2-5 omitted.

I am of course, joking..... :lol:

ted

How about:

Championship Section for 4th section.

Elite Championship Section for 3rd section.

Premier Elite Championship Section for 2nd section.

Ultimate Premier Elite Championship Section for 1st section.

Even Better Ultimate Premier Elite Championship Section for 2nd tier Championship Section.

We're Even Better Than Even Better Ultimate Premier Elite Championship Section for 1st tier Championship Section.

Ted

Dave Payn

ted said:
How about:

Even Better Ultimate Premier Elite Championship Section for 2nd tier Championship Section.

We're Even Better Than Even Better Ultimate Premier Elite Championship Section for 1st tier Championship Section.

Ted

And for the section above that? How about Yorkshire Building Society? ;-) :)

BBBfYBS

ted said:
How about:

Ted

mmm interesting Ted i think your onto something.

DublinBass

Supporting Member
The sad thing is that in the U.S., they decided not to use number labels for the sections (I think as to not offend anybody)

I've been in banding 12 years here so I think I may finally have it straight. From highest level to lowest:

Championship
Honors
Challenge
Youth

There is also and Open and Explorer Section. I think the open section can use Fr*nch H*rns and the Explorer Section is for "comments only." (Not 100% sure though)

fartycat

timbloke said:
In light of the recent change in the Footbal Divisions thus

Old New
Premiership Premiership
Division 1 Championship
Div 2 League 1
Div 3 League 2

Very good but you forgot the words "Coca Cola"....
:lol:

Okiedokie of Oz

Call me stupid, but why not lose the fancy titles and stick with the simple terms.

1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are fine.
We use A, B, C and D (Yes we know our al-fa-bett down here!!).

Or, go back to the fancy titles, and go over board

chocolate level (we're soooo sweet!!)
hot coffee level (oooooooh we'll keep you stimulated!)
Curry level (We're guaranteed to upset something!!)
and
Just Right Level (not too hevay in our tubas, not too light in our bass troms.)

Dave Payn

Okiedokie of Oz said:
Call me stupid, but why not lose the fancy titles and stick with the simple terms.

and

Curry level - liable to splat everywhere..... ;-)

Dave Payn said:
Okiedokie of Oz said:

and

Curry level - liable to splat everywhere..... ;-)

We'll have nan o that!

In view of the widespread interest in consuming alcohol we could have divisions based on amounts/types of alcohol drunk by bands. By lessening or increasing the amounts drunk by a Band promotion/relegation would follow, and I am sure many Bands would find it easier to gain promotion this way than by more traditional methods. Perhaps sponsorship would be more readily available. How would the divisions look in a couple of years? Unrecognisable?
Presumably the winning 'Championship' Band would be challenged by the top Aussie[drinking] Band before it had left the Albert Hall?
We might end up with a Belch division; Intemperance division; Diamond Light division;10 pints plus division; AA failures division etc.,..etc.,.....
Spanky

ted

Paul McLaughlin said:
Okiedokie of Oz said:

Perhaps the first test piece of this new section could be an arrangement of It Ceylon Way to Tipperary :lol:

Indian Summer is much more appropriate.

Dave Payn

Spanky Rear said:
In view of the widespread interest in consuming alcohol we could have divisions based on amounts/types of alcohol drunk by bands. By lessening or increasing the amounts drunk by a Band promotion/relegation would follow, and I am sure many Bands would find it easier to gain promotion this way than by more traditional methods. Perhaps sponsorship would be more readily available. How would the divisions look in a couple of years? Unrecognisable?
Presumably the winning 'Championship' Band would be challenged by the top Aussie[drinking] Band before it had left the Albert Hall?
We might end up with a Belch division; Intemperance division; Diamond Light division;10 pints plus division; AA failures division etc.,..etc.,.....
Spanky

And the competitors have a list of pieces from which to choose, namely:

Trumpet Booze and Cantabile
Cloudcatcher Bells
Blitzed
Diadem of Gold Label
Diversions on a Bass Theme
Three Figures... or is that Six?
Rhapsody in Glass
The Year of the Flagon
The Land of the Diamond White Cloud

Dave Payn said:
Spanky Rear said:
Spanky

And the competitors have a list of pieces from which to choose, namely:

Trumpet Booze and Cantabile
Cloudcatcher Bells
Blitzed
Diadem of Gold Label
Diversions on a Bass Theme
Three Figures... or is that Six?
Rhapsody in Glass
The Year of the Flagon
The Land of the Diamond White Cloud

LOL LOL LOL :D :D The possibilities are endless...

I think numbers or letters isn't always the best way, because that often helps to stereotype us as contest monkeys.

I do agree... saying a band is 4th section makes it sound like that band are really bad... it gives them a bad reputation. The band I play in is currenty 4th section, but they can do concerts as well as any other 1st section band if they put the effort in.

Matt