MY FAVOURITE COMPOSER

ScrapingtheBottom

Lothianh said:
Are you familiar with the overture to Nielsen's comic opera "Maskarade"?? Fun little piece, which I think might make a great little arrangement for brass band - although there are a lot of 2nd violin/viola sextuplets in the accompaniment which might get a little tedious...

-Lothian

Yeah I've heard it, I think it would need a good arranger (ie not one who is just going to dump those sextuplets on the horns :D).

Lothianh

ScrapingtheBottom said:
Lothianh said:
Are you familiar with the overture to Nielsen's comic opera "Maskarade"?? Fun little piece, which I think might make a great little arrangement for brass band - although there are a lot of 2nd violin/viola sextuplets in the accompaniment which might get a little tedious...

-Lothian

Yeah I've heard it, I think it would need a good arranger (ie not one who is just going to dump those sextuplets on the horns :D).

Naw - I'd give 'em all to the back row cornets! :-D

-Lothian

cornetgirl

I'm amazed there haven't been more mentions for the sublime Rachmaninov - such gorgeous rich orchestral writing!

I also love Mahler, Shosty, Haydn and Beethoven's chamber music, and in terms of modern composers John Adams and Arvo Part.

Cheesy - but I do think Rutter is rather nice, he writes such happy little tunes!

Rach x

andywooler

Supporting Member
Very much depends on my mood!

Stravinsky
Vaughn Williams
Mahler

We ran through the prelude to Gerontius and part of Severn Suite last week - Elgar surely must have been the inspiration for Van Der Graaf Generator & The Smith's!

Straightmute

andywooler said:
Elgar surely must have been the inspiration for Van Der Graaf Generator & The Smith's!

Interesting theory. Or maybe it was the other way round - I now have this vision of Sir Edward and Lady Elgar sitting down for tea, and slipping on a vinyl of VdGG.

"Don't you think this theme would make a sublime cello concerto, dear...?"

"Oh yes, Teddy, but finish your scones..."

pug_101

There's so many:
Orchestral:
Copland
Mahler
Beethoven
Brahms
Tchaikovsky
Rachmaninov

Band:
Elgar Howarth
Derek Bourgeois
Eric Ball
John McCabe

I'm impressed!! I thought the average bandsman couldn't see any further than his last test piece!
My own preferences are definately for British, early-mid 20th. Century.
Top of the list is Malcolm Arnold, sense of humour, wonderful brass writing and always listen for the counter melody. Total of 9 Symphonies, number 5 his best and don't forget the Peterloo Overture with full orchestral percussion!
Vaughan-Williams. Quintesential English music, again, droll sense of humour but if you've never heard Symphonies 4 & 6 (out of 9) then you perhaps haven't heard him at his best,
but if its a cold, winters day outside, put on a cd of The Lark Ascending and you will be instantly transported to the warmest of summer days.
George Lloyd. Very much underated but with 12 Symphonies to his name (5, 4 & 8 are worth a try), and what a shame he came to us so late. Who knows what might've been.
Arnold Bax. Very much of the Celtic influence here and also some wonderful brass writing too (including a touch of the mighty organ at the right moment). 7 Symphonies (try number 4) and countless Tone Poems headed by the wonderful Tintagel. Hear the waves crashing on the rocks below the castle - so atmospheric.
Herbert Howells wrote plenty of choral music but also wrote several orchestral miniatures and works for solo organ from which you can hear the makings of Pageantry.
Delius. Many fine works from an exiled Yorkshireman with more than a few health problems, but Brigg Fair, for me, is his finest.
Walton - many fine works, including the film scores, but one masterpiece - his 1st. Symphony - stunning.
Foreigners? I suppose it has to be Berlioz, Ravel and Debussy.
Is that the time? Sorry!

bassinthebathroom

TCHAIKOVSKY!!
Amazingly emotional at every turn! Love it completely.
Also Bernstein, Liszt, Elgar, Holst (am a big Romantic era fan)

Bands
The usual crowd, but Eric Ball stands out for sheer musicality. Vinter too. McCabe pushed the boundaries, for me, more recently, and recent contributions from the likes of Martin Ellerby are important to the repertoire.

Like many others I seem to go through phases ('this month I have been mainly listening to....').
Prior to Christmas it was mainly John Adams(how about getting him to write a piece for the national finals-think of the prestige). However, at the moment it's Ravel in a big way. You have to admire the way he handles the orchestra so that even a piece with triple woodwind and brass etc, can have a crystal clear texture. Genius.

tim

So many periods too choose from!!!

Baroque its gotta be telemann or bach
Classical Mozart or beethoven
Romantic Chopin is pretty cool and tchaicovsky (sp)
20th century Sibelius, Shoenbourg (sp)

Brass Band

Its goota be Sparke, Wilby, Bourgeois

(Duplicate post deleted, PB, Mod)

Nadia said:
non brass band, john williams and mahler
brass band.. dunno hehe there are lots.. doing a lot by Ray Steadman-Allen and John Golland at the moment.. both great composers very underrated!

Agreed - only just started to pay more attention to Golland. His euphonium concertos are such wonderfull musical creations, a treat for any player and audience to enjoy

Dave Euph

Many many many ...

For banding:

Edward Gregson
Martin Ellerby
Philip Sparke
John Golland

among others ...

For other forms of composition:

Claude Debussy
Maurice Ravel
Jan van der Roost
Thomas Doss
Edward Elgar
Gustav Holst

The Romantic period of music has always been a particular favourite of mine ... unlike my dad who seems to be a die-hard Bach fan.

Mrs Fruity

Rachmaninov (Mr Romance) or MacRaninov ( the Scottish composer)
Korngold
Mahler
Shostakovich
Karl Jenkins ( and I initially hated Adiemus but I love The Armed Man)
John Tavener
Arvo Part

For bands:
Edward Gregson
Gilbert Vinter
Philip Sparke
Derek Bourgeois

- I could go on for hours but I have to go and practise Tristan for the remaining available 60 hours.

brassneck

I have to add my favourite to this list ... Estonian composer Erkki-Sven Tüür (born 1959) because of his ability to create colours and textures that invite you to listen, listen and listen even more!

axelo

Haven't listened to lot of classical music so I don't quite know whick composer did what :D

But in brass band I really love some of the works by Dean Goffin. And an hour of some Peter Graham concert music is never ever wrong!

Anno Draconis

Ah, the thread that time forgot!

Quick scan of recently popular CDs on my stereo revealed the following:

Bach: St Matthew Passion
Mozart: Marriage of Figaro
Walton: Belshazzar's Feast - if you don't know this, get it, brass players love it!
Gabrieli: Sonatas (the London Brass/Eric Crees versions)
Bits of Macmillan, Arvo Part, Edward Gregson, Alun Hoddinott, Philip Wilby and the inimitable Extreme Makeover
But if I had to choose a favourite it would be one of these:
Mahler (esp. 3rd Symphony)
Vaughan Williams (esp. Job, Sea Symphony,or the 9th Symphony)
Sibelius (esp. 5th and 7th symphony)