MY FAVOURITE COMPOSER

TIMBONE

Who is your favourite composer?, or maybe more than one in particular. I am referring to 'orchestral' based, established composers in the world of Western classical music.

Mine is the Czech composer Leos Janacek.

I must go to band practise now, (as we are preparing to win the North West Regionals). When I am 'chilling' again, I will give reasons as to why JANACEK is so awesome - (His "Sinfonietta" is enough to blow you away).

James McFadyen

John Adams!!!

Although Mark-Antony Turnage is fantastic - his 'Momentum' was featured in the 2003 Proms.

William Walton is fantastic too - he knowns how to make a good finale!!

Vince Mendoza is brilliant - super Orchestration skills.

Out of all these, my favourite has to be John Adams

For Brass Band music: Philip Sparke

To list one or two:

Beethoven
Wagner
Mahler
Rachmaninov
Tchaikovsky
Britten
Walton
Maric
Bernstein
Peter Max Davies

(john williams)- he can't half write a tune, its just a shame he only uses one sort of texture! Gets a bit monotonous after a while...

MRSH

Supporting Member
shedophone said:
Wagner
Mahler
Walton
Agree with these and would add:

Bruckner
Shostakovich
Prokofiev

Also getting to like Karl Jenkins stuff. (The Armed Man - wonderful piece)

Straightmute

Of the 'greats' it's between Stravinsky and Webern for me. I have Stravinsky days and Webern days and I can't decide between them!

Of living composers, Birtwistle, Ligeti and Steve Martland (weird group!) have made the biggest impression.

D

GJG

Not sure I would have consciously chosen him as my 'favourite', however, having just checked my LP/CD collections I seem to have more recordings of music by Richard Strauss than by anyone else ........

Perhaps it's a trumpet-player 'thing' ..........

G.

MRSH

Supporting Member
GJG said:
Not sure I would have consciously chosen him as my 'favourite', however, having just checked my LP/CD collections I seem to have more recordings of music by Richard Strauss than by anyone else ........

Perhaps it's a trumpet-player 'thing' ..........

G.
Of course - I forgot him. Richard Strauss - fantastic.

Naomi McFadyen

cant beat a nice bit of Stravvy :D
also LOVE John Adams and John Williams :grnsm

For brass band composers... mmmmmmm...

Love ya all! :lol:

Aidan

non brass band, john williams and mahler
brass band.. dunno hehe there are lots.. doing a lot by Ray Steadman-Allen and John Golland at the moment.. both great composers very underrated!

Nothing better than Wagner.

Also like John Williams and stravinsky.

From a Brass band point of view, favourites would include:

Eric ball,
Phill wilbey,
Phillip Sparke and
Vinters

PeterBale

Staff member
Tend to fluctuate a bit from time to time, but current orchestral favourites would include:

Bruckner
Bax
Messiaen
MacMillan
Stravinsky
George Lloyd
Malcom Arnold

For bands:

Les Condon
Philip Wilby
Martin Ellerby
Gilbert Vinter

JOHN WILLIAMS! enough said! (most of his pieces even work well for brass band!)

Brass Band composers tho, would have to be Phillip Sparke and Kenneth Downie

Ive just spent 4 weeks studying Wagner, it was fantastic. We got to listen to (and watch) large chunks of the Ring, Tristan and Parsifal.
For my assignment i'm having a crack at writing a scene from a 'music drama' myself.
A bit ambitious but exciting.

MRSH

Supporting Member
shedophone said:
Ive just spent 4 weeks studying Wagner, it was fantastic. We got to listen to (and watch) large chunks of the Ring, Tristan and Parsifal.
Marvellous. Although I find some of the Ring sleep inducing. But would agree that Parsifal is brilliant.

shedophone said:
For my assignment i'm having a crack at writing a scene from a 'music drama' myself. A bit ambitious but exciting.
Blimey. I bet you'll have great fun. Good luck.