My Family Tree...

Naomi McFadyen

(well, it's not mine obviously... that's just the name of the poem ;-) )
Could it get any complex than this?!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three,
I was married to a widow, was as pretty as could be.
The widow had a grown up daughter who had hair of red,
My father fell in love with her and so the two were wed!
This made my dad my son-in-law and changed my very life,
You see my daughter became my mother
Because she was my father's wife,
And so to complicate the matter though it only brought me joy,
I soon became a father of a bouncing baby boy.
My little baby then became brother-in-law to dad,
And so became my uncle now it mad me very sad,
Because if he was my uncle then he also was the brother
Og the widow's grown up daughter who of course was my step mother.
Father's wife then had a child who kept them on the run,
My brother became my grandchild because he was my father's son.
Now my wife's my mothers mother and it makes me blue,
'Cos even though she is my wife, she is my grandma too.
Now if my wife is my grandma then I am her grandchild,
Every time I think what's next it really drives me wild!
Because now I have become the strangest case you ever saw,
As the husband of my own grandma I am my own grandpa!!!

TuTuKu

Naruco said:
Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three,
I was married to a widow, was as pretty as could be.
The widow had a grown up daughter who had hair of red,
My father fell in love with her and so the two were wed!
This made my dad my son-in-law and changed my very life,
You see my daughter became my mother
Because she was my father's wife,
And so to complicate the matter...

Followed it that far, but now i give up! Too much brain power after AS Physics!

Naomi McFadyen

Geeeeeesh... what is happening to the youth out there?
I first came across this poem when I was 14 and didn't struggle tooooo badly in understanding the bizarreness in it

;-)

akwarose

my braincell hurts

*wanders off for a lie down*

i understand the bizarreness of it.... sort of. i would if i read it properly, but i only skimmed it. i've had a chemistry exam today, dont blame me!!!

EIBB_Ray

For those of you who can't deal with reading it, here it is in song. http://www.onlyinternet.net/preceptor/rm118/grandpa.htm Looking for this, I learned quite a bit (I probably shouldn't) I see it's credited to "Lonzo and Oscar" in many places. I First heard this by a barbershop guartet when I was maybe 10 all I can find is country versions of it on the internet including one by Ray Stevens (the "old timey" one played here seemed better for illustrative purposes.) The weird thing is that one page credits it to Dwight Latham and Moe Jaffe and refers to it being performed by Jerry Garcia (yes, that Jerry Garcia) and Davis Grisman.....http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/introjs.htm?/~acsa/songfile/I2MMYOWN.HTM
Interesting things you find on the internet (when you're supposed to be working....)

Yep it's a brill song..........has anyone on here got totally addicted to family history research? It's a bit like banding and golf..........just so obsessive.

drummergurl

Naruco said:
Geeeeeesh... what is happening to the youth out there?
I first came across this poem when I was 14 and didn't struggle tooooo badly in understanding the bizarreness in it

;-)

u should know my reasons for not reading more than the first line today!

drummergurl

yes thanx naomi, got upto my daughter became my mother and am conpletely confuzzeled. given up all hope on it...until i find my brain

louise0502

CaharleyFarley said:
has anyone on here got totally addicted to family history research? It's a bit like banding and golf..........just so obsessive.

My dad has gone bonkers! He's gone back to 1650ish in about six months from both his parents sides, his wife's sides and now he's moved onto my mum's ancestors too! He has about 800 names on it and brought special software to put all the info he gets on computer.

I don't think you can get more obsessed than that!

lynchie

I found out my great great gandfather ran a dublin brothel and stopped there... I realised it wasn't going to get any better than that!

Keppler

Staff member
Ó Cinnéide (O'Kennedy) from Irish Dalcassian chief Cinnéide (c 940-1002) Father of Brian Ború, high king of Ireland 1002-1014

After him, other O'Kennedy's had a lot to live up to, so was easy to stop there...

bigmamabadger

So far the Jessop-Smythe-Badgers are descended from a bunch of Irish illegal immigrants (family legend has it that Great-Grandad swam the Liffey to sneak on to a boat in Cork (?)), some Welsh sheep-botherers and a pack of English aristos. This explains a lot.
Multi-Racial Badger
xx