Because I am small
Gave me life.
That was the death
Of you.
My broken shoe
You'll be replaced
But you are the one
and only shoe.

Well, not quite (especially the snow bit) but during a lunchtime outing down to Deansgate I lost the heel off one of my favourite boots down a nick. Have just about managed to hobble back to my desk now and I suppose the up side of this incident is that I have an excuse to buy some NEW shoes (like us women need an excuse)!!!! :D

Anyway, just to make me feel better has anyone else had anything this disasterous (a broken shoe is disasterous to most women I assure you :roll: ) happen to them recently?

Jo Elson

My friends heel snapped off hers when we out clubbing the other week, I in my drunken state found it hilarious and she did at the time, but it nwas very sad the next morning.

Clare

broken heels

Come on Ann-Marie its about time it happened to you. Just think of all those times we have been out, drunk far, far too much Guinness and gone home steaming drunk. Just think of how many heels I have snapped in your presence and oh yes you always laugh dont you .... bet you are not laughing now!!!! :twisted:

Anyway moving on to the scientific part....

The reason high heels break so often is this (I was told this by a cobbler). Shoe manufacturers today (most of them based in Bacup) use the cheaper aluminium rods inside heels instead of the strong steel ones they used to use so consequently they dont last anywhere near as long and snap so much more easily thus making the shoe manufacturers and shops a massive profit as we have to replace shoes more often!! (not a problem for us girls but now you have a good excuse when your boyfriend starts calling you Imelda Marcos)!!

Ann-Marie

Thanks for that Clare! You are right, I am not laughing anymore. Just hope this is not the start of an heel snapping trend!!!

What do you mean too much Guinness??? You can NEVER have too much :guiness :guiness :guiness

Keppler

Staff member
Ann-Marie said:
What do you mean too much Guinness??? You can NEVER have too much :guiness :guiness :guiness

I know a very disturbing story about the rupturing of some poor chap's stomach due to that very thing... :shock:
Danger Will Robinson...

bassinthebathroom

The most bizzare thing happened to me yesterday whilst waiting for the Metroshuttle (for those of you in the dark, it's a free bus in Manchester which is great for getting to the train station!). Firstly, a woman fell up the steps in front of the Evening News vendor, and landed on her shopping bag. It appeared to contain glass jars of some kind. The poor woman hobbled off in a westerly direction with one shopping bag which was leaking quite severely! Then, within literally ten seconds (at this point the bus had arrived, and I had got on) a rather short and well built gentleman was observed rushing to get on the bus. He nearly made it, but he fell into the street for no apparent reason behind said bus. Worse still, as he stood up (sadly, in obvious pain) he exposed a rather large portion of his rear - which had obviously worked loose during the fall and subsequent struggle to stand - as the bus was moving away. Not pleasant. :shock:

Clare

The Black Nectar

Keppler said:
Ann-Marie said:

I know a very disturbing story about the rupturing of some poor chap's stomach due to that very thing... :shock:
Danger Will Robinson...

Yeah - but I bet it was worth it!!!

Ann-Marie

Thank you Iain - I do feel much better now. At least I remained in a standing position. Thinking about it though, I dread to think what I must have looked like hobbling along Deansgate but I am sure I am not the most embarrassed person in Manchester this week!!!

bassinthebathroom

Ann-Marie said:
Thank you Iain - I do feel much better now. At least I remained in a standing position. Thinking about it though, I dread to think what I must have looked like hobbling along Deansgate but I am sure I am not the most embarrassed person in Manchester this week!!!

Ah, no problem. I probaby shouldn't have laughed at this double accident, but, alas, I did! :lol: :oops:

Big Twigge

Ann-Marie said:
I haven't but do I assume that she has a liking for shoes or has she, like me, broken a pair or two? :cry:
or c) all of the above and am now working in a shoe shop :shock:
....although on one of my breaking incidents, I still haven't decided if I fell down the stairs and the inpact broke my heel, or i broke my heel causing me to fall and nothing at all todo with the alcofrol

lynchie

ah the number of heels I've lost on nights out... it's almost like stillettos weren't designed for 6 foot+ men...

to be honest, nothing terrible has happened to me recently, but I'm out tonight to see Incubus at the MEN (woo! :D ) so I could well be making a fool of myself in the streets of manchester afterwards... :?

Well Worth It

The funniest boot/shoe incident that I've ever seen was when I went for dinner in Leeds with my ex.
I commented on how noisy her new heels were, as we were walking under a bridge, so she started stamping them down.
It would've been funny if she'd snapped one of the heels...oh yes, I really would have chuckled.
Instead though, she managed to drive one of her heels so far into the ground between to slabs that it got stuck. She ended up on her backside, cracked her elbow on the floor and could NOT get the boot free.
Having apparently spent the best part of £200 on them she was then faced with a serious dilemma.
Get up and leave the boot behind or sit on her arse for the rest of her life.
I could see the anguish and the quarreling thoughts cross her face as she realised that there was no way she could free herself without leaving her new boot.
She had to hop all the way back to the station - funniest thing I saw all year.
Think the boot's probably still there. It'll be like Excalibur or something.

Ann-Marie

Big Twigge said:
Ann-Marie said:
I haven't but do I assume that she has a liking for shoes or has she, like me, broken a pair or two? :cry:
or c) all of the above and am now working in a shoe shop :shock:
....although on one of my breaking incidents, I still haven't decided if I fell down the stairs and the inpact broke my heel, or i broke my heel causing me to fall and nothing at all todo with the alcofrol

Well I do wonder whether my heel breaking incident was caused by the post traumatic stress of my boot after falling down the whole of the first flight of stairs from the toilets in the Winter Gardens at the Areas :oops:

I have sensible boots on today but I am going shopping tomorrow :twisted: