Music for Scottish themed concert

davie

Planning a Scottish-themed concert for St Andrews Day and looking to freshen up our Scottish repertoire - any suggestions?

Tom-King

Highland Cathedral
Four Scottish Dances (Arnold)

Could get more tenuous with things like "For the love of a princess" (from Braveheart)

GER

Scottish Dances-P Martin 3 tunes Cock of the north, bonnie banks of loch lomond and Marie's wedding. Its quite a light hearted medley but quite good fun. Unfortunately cant find a recording of it

jobriant

... looking to freshen up our Scottish repertoire - any suggestions?
Our California-based Brass Band (The Pacific Brass Band) has been in existence for less than 30 years. I've been purchasing "pre-owned" brass band music thru eBay to fill our our library with some older brass band music. We just acquired a medley titled simply "Songs of Scotland." Wright & Round published it long enough ago that there's no copyright date. H. Round was the arranger. I hope to have it in our band's folders in a few weeks (but I first have to create bass clef parts for some of our low brass players who, like many American, don't read treble clef on their particular instrument).

ScaryFlugel

Planning a Scottish-themed concert for St Andrews Day and looking to freshen up our Scottish repertoire - any suggestions?
Yes - I’ve done a pretty arrangement of Forres Cradle Song, features the solo euph (or can feature flugel or cornet instead) - the melody is by Scotland’s most prolific composer of fiddle airs and jigs, James Scott Skinner. It’s available from Larch Music.
It will be something different but still thoroughly Scottish.

jobriant

Yes - I’ve done a pretty arrangement of Forres Cradle Song, features the solo euph (or can feature flugel or cornet instead) - the melody is by Scotland’s most prolific composer of fiddle airs and jigs, James Scott Skinner. It’s available from Larch Music.
It will be something different but still thoroughly Scottish.
Just found a performance of "Forres Cradle Song" on YouTube. I assume this is your arrangement. Beautiful tune, beautifully arranged.

Jim O'Briant, Gilroy, California, USA
Music Director / Staff Arranger
The Pacific Brass Band www.PacificBrassBand.org

ScaryFlugel

Ah no, I’m pretty sure it’s not on YouTube anywhere yet. There’s a live recording on SoundCloud (please excuse the idiot flugel player (me) who was too busy listening to the music to play the right notes!)
JudithH (scroll down the list to get to it!)

jobriant

Does this work?
Like a charm! The one on YouTube isn't your arrangement. I like yours a lot! It will provide the perfect "relax and take a breath" moment for any concert, in between all those contest pieces that have (as Emperor Franz Josef supposedly said to Mozart) "too many notes."

I've added your arrangement to my "Music Wish List," the shopping list I use each year when our Band Board of Directors gives me the new year's budget allocation for sheet music.

Thank you!

Jim O'Briant, Gilroy, California, USA
Music Director / Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band www.PacificBrassBand.org
Principal Tuba, South Valley Symphony www.SouthValleySymphony.org