MULTIPHONICS!

leisa

Accidental said:
I can't double/triple tongue either......keep waiting to be rumbled but seem to have got away with it so far!! Nice to see there's more of you out there.

Just a thought - is it just a horn/bari thing?!

i play cornet!!! though i can triple tounge and kind of double tounge but sayin that i used to playt the horn and i couldn't eityher on that hmm...u may have a point!

Tom

Chris

If you ever have to play Aubade (this year's European test piece) then you'll have to learn - can't think of any others though

The most important thing to note when trying to do this is that you need to sing a lot louder than you play. Your voice will naturally be weaker than the sound you make on the instrument so in order to compenstate and get a balanced, tuned chord you need to sing more loudly.

Seedhouse

Thanks for your posts guys, but can anyone tell me HOW to begin to learn to do multiphonics???
I don't mean to sound rude, if I do I apologise.
Thanks,
Alex

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
Hmm, tmp masterclass anyone?
:)
If anyone knows some easy ways to triple tongue as well I'd appreciate it (Don't know how I'm gonna get through Vizcaya without it!!) :?

amgray

Seedhouse said:
Thanks for your posts guys, but can anyone tell me HOW to begin to learn to do multiphonics???
I don't mean to sound rude, if I do I apologise.
Thanks,
Alex
Just try it :D
Play a long note (middle 'G' say) and start to try and sing another note at the same time, I find it easier to sing a higher note not a lower one. Then experiment with changing notes, bringing the two together and moving them apart.

super_sop

Supporting Member
tewkeshorn said:
If anyone knows some easy ways to triple tongue as well I'd appreciate it (Don't know how I'm gonna get through Vizcaya without it!!) :?
me neether!!!

amgray

tewkeshorn said:
Try not working the tongue too hard, the mistake most people make when they struggle to triple tongue is they try and 'belt' the notes not 'bounce' them. All the tongue should do is release the airstream.
Try thinking less of T-T-K and more of D-D-G, it may help.
And like a lot of other aspects of Brass playing, practice away from the instrument will help enormously. Triple tongue your voice :? It should help.

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
amgray said:
Try thinking less of T-T-K and more of D-D-G, it may help.

Ahh thats interesting, I was always told to go Tu-Ku-Tu which I can do without the instrument but as soon as I try and play it just sounds like a pile of spit! :oops:
I'm going Du-Du-Gu right now, will let you know if i can get that section without picking my tongue off the floor afterwards..
Thanks! :p

There oughta be a website or something with all these banding tips, tricks, blags, coverups and old wives tales on as we hear so many go round there must be a pretty big collection... :)

super_sop

Supporting Member
tewkeshorn said:
There oughta be a website or something with all these banding tips, tricks, blags, coverups and old wives tales on as we hear so many go round there must be a pretty big collection... :)
thought ther was....... its called themouthpiece.com. and from what ived its the best place on the planet to get banding tips,tricks, blags etc :wink:

Seedhouse

Hey!! I was just practicing and I was doing a cadenza and I thought i'd try to fail at doing multiphonics again, but I can do it! :shock: It kind of sounds like a bunch of bag pipes at the moment, is this what everyone else found? After a longer period of doing it, will it begin to balance out and hold steady instead of wavering a bit? :? :lol:
Anyway, with triple tonguing (on a multiphonics thread! :roll: never mind :wink: ) start slow and build up speed as your tongue strengthens, i can't do it very fast at the mo, but that's is helping me to improve.

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
Yea but maybe extract all them and put them into one topic or thread so that theres an actual section on playing or am i missing it if one already exists? (I'd assume most though are in this topic tho), I'm sure the mods arent busy to look into it :wink:

leisa

Seedhouse said:
Hey!! I was just practicing and I was doing a cadenza and I thought i'd try to fail at doing multiphonics again, but I can do it! :shock: It kind of sounds like a bunch of bag pipes at the moment, is this what everyone else found? After a longer period of doing it, will it begin to balance out and hold steady instead of wavering a bit? :? :lol:
Anyway, with triple tonguing (on a multiphonics thread! :roll: never mind :wink: ) start slow and build up speed as your tongue strengthens, i can't do it very fast at the mo, but that's is helping me to improve.

well done!!!! i cant do it!!

Seedhouse

It's really cool when it works! :p I just need to learn how to sustain it, and keep the note steady and even. Hurts my throat a bit though! :? :cry: