MSN Messenger

James McFadyen

Is anyone else baffled at why msn messenger needs the add-in for reading emails, when u first install msn.

This never happened in earlier versions and it baffles me why msn didn't just bundle the add-in in the installation so that you don't have to do it manually.

Is what I'm saying baffling anyone else, or is my naive ignorance taking over?

Keppler

Staff member
it's good practice to ditribute software in atomic functional units. It makes supporting them easier, as you only need to roll out updates to a particular unit, instead of a whole suite.

also, not everyone will want any more than base functionality.

add-ins work. They give the user the power to decide what goes on their machines.

Fishsta

Alternatively you could get away from the spyware-riddled and security-compromising MSN Messenger, and use Trillian instead...

SammyT

Moy said:
Seedhouse said:
i never had to do that

me neither! :? :roll:

Me neither and I am but a mere female.....who can work her PC. :lol:

Do not put the female sex down like that Moy - we have enough probs as it is with out our ownside commenting against us! :wink: :D :oops:

Anyway back to topics I have been asked to install various add-ins but cannot remember installing one to go to my inbox!!

Stewart

James McFadyen said:
I suppose it depends on the last time you formatted ur drive and reinstalled windows. It may also be only an WinXP thing.

There's your answer, the thing that comes with WinXP is Windows(/.NET) Messenger, not MSN Messenger, as XP is expected to often be used on company LANs they (MS) have taken out the MSN stuff and instead added some extra stuff for using it connected to a local server on the LAN.

You can download MSN Messenger (currently v6.1) for WinXP which doesn't need the addin but if you want to use the standard XP one (v4.7 or 5) then you'll have to put up with the addin. If you install MSN Messenger then you'll probably want to disable the standard XP one as MSN doesn't replace it and they'll both try to run at once.

Ok, it's getting late and I'm not sure any of that made sense even to me :?

neiltwist

Stewart said:
James McFadyen said:
I suppose it depends on the last time you formatted ur drive and reinstalled windows. It may also be only an WinXP thing.

There's your answer, the thing that comes with WinXP is Windows(/.NET) Messenger, not MSN Messenger, as XP is expected to often be used on company LANs they (MS) have taken out the MSN stuff and instead added some extra stuff for using it connected to a local server on the LAN.

You can download MSN Messenger (currently v6.1) for WinXP which doesn't need the addin but if you want to use the standard XP one (v4.7 or 5) then you'll have to put up with the addin. If you install MSN Messenger then you'll probably want to disable the standard XP one as MSN doesn't replace it and they'll both try to run at once.

Ok, it's getting late and I'm not sure any of that made sense even to me :?

erm, I think I got it, but am currently drinking myself into oblivion for various reasons, always a good thing to do! maybe you have to be half drunk to understand it!

but indeed the problem is with windows messenger, and not msn!