Moving to North West /Midland Area in October

KLOPP OF THE POOL

Hi
Im a cornet player who will be moving half way in between to North West / Midlands area in October due to a promotion at work
Ive played in the past between 3rd and 1st section Bands on front row up until 2018 but work took me to Isle Of Skye till now
What bands have any spots free on front row at all.
Asking in advance

2nd tenor

I guess that you’ve been restricted in what playing you could do on Skye and so it might be wise for you to consider how good a player you are now and what arrangement might suite your long term aspirations best. There’s a map of Brass Bands on the web (google Brass Band results) that shows where nearly all the existing Bands are located and what section they are. IIRC there’s another one for empty chairs too.

It’s unlikely that anyone will pick up your interest from this (now virtually unused) website. Personally I’d visit a few Bands (listed on the map) to try to both gauge how I’d fit with them and to see what they see as their future.

Good luck.

Last edited:

KLOPP OF THE POOL

I guess that you’ve been restricted in what playing you could do on Skye and so it might be wise for you to consider how good a player you are now and what arrangement might suite your long term aspirations best. There’s a map of Brass Bands on the web (google Brass Band results) that shows where nearly all the existing Bands are located and what section they are. IIRC there’s another one for empty chairs too.

It’s unlikely that anyone will pick up your interest from this (now virtually unused) website. Personally I’d visit a few Bands (listed on the map) to try to both gauge how I’d fit with them and to see what they see as their future.

Good luck.
How come many dont use this website any more

2nd tenor

How come many dont use this website any more
To my mind the place tore itself apart via failure to tackle Trolling activities and allowing some particularly contentious topics to be discussed here. To be fair the Moderators didn’t, at that time, have the tools to successfully tackle the Trolls, they are volunteers, and their willingness to let contentious topics be discussed is admirable in theory but not that sensible in practice. Of course that’s my opinion and YMMV.

I don’t know where people drifted off to but there are some obvious social media platforms - none of which I use. This place has a massive archive of member supplied information available to those that care to search it, but unfortunately few active members.

KLOPP OF THE POOL

To my mind the place tore itself apart via failure to tackle Trolling activities and allowing some particularly contentious topics to be discussed here. To be fair the Moderators didn’t, at that time, have the tools to successfully tackle the Trolls, they are volunteers, and their willingness to let contentious topics be discussed is admirable in theory but not that sensible in practice. Of course that’s my opinion and YMMV.

I don’t know where people drifted off to but there are some obvious social media platforms - none of which I use. This place has a massive archive of member supplied information available to those that care to search it, but unfortunate

I don’t know where people drifted off to but there are some obvious social media platforms - none of which I use. This place has a massive archive of member supplied information available to those that care to search it, but unfortunately few active members.
Thank you for your reply most helpful

refman8

Hi
Uppermill Band is based in Saddleworth and will be looking for a front row cornet player following our appearance at the National Finals in September.
We would be happy for you to sit in on a few rehearsals to get your lip in and see how it goes from there.
We are currently National 3rd Section Champions and North West Area 2nd Section Champions. 2020
if Saddleworth would a viable distance for you to travel get please get in touch. John. 07855 869295

Hoping we can rebuild

2nd tenor

Hoping we can rebuild

Where there is a will then there is a way. All that is required is for people to post and, IMHO, we’ll be on our way back to better things. It’ll take a few years, I reckon, but worthwhile things don’t happen without a bit of effort. I’ve put up a few new threads recently, why not have a look in recent posts and add some comments?

With your links to Boobs and Brass perhaps you might encourage more women to post here. There were a few that did but blokes - perhaps me included - can appear unwelcoming and obsessed (pig headed) and that puts the Ladies off. The Band that I’m in is about 50/50 and women keep Banding alive, they can be pretty clear about what they think too so let’s hear the Ladies.

Last edited: