Movie selection? Is there any?

alks

Ive been looking for a Movie selection type piece for a while that is suitable for lower section bands. Ie, star wars, superman, ET, etc all in a selection format. But there doesnt seam to be any!!

Ive found 'john williams epic themes' but thats too hard for lower section bands.

Ive found some old frank Bearnearts selection but its not suitable (not a good selection)

So is there any movie type selections for brass band?

alks

tubafran

Other than the one you suggested there are some selections - mainly cowboy films though

Great Western Themes, Darrol Barry - Big Country, Dances with Wolves, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Morricone Portrait - Roland Kernon (8 minutes long)

In fairness to the "selections from" type arrangement they seem few and far between these days and I know if we get anything to play in the 7 to 8 minute range we often cut them down for concerts.

alks

thanks for the suggestion, I had noticed the great western one, but forgot about it!

So, there really isnt any movie selections for lower section bands out there ? which is quite a suprise. Maybe someone should do one?

alks

DMBabe

Supporting Member
We did a few years back from the pen of Alan Fernie called " Where no-one has gone before". It features star trek (giveaway in the title?) star wars, ET, Superman and probably some other sci-fi type stuff that escapes me. Don't know if it's published cos he was conducting us at the time so it was in "fernie-script" and can't remember how hard it is but can't be that bad if i have fond memories of it. It always went down well with a crowd. PM him to ask if its published, or to suggest that he does something else cos he's the king of writing for lower section bands!:clap:

Thirteen Ball

There was one we used to play back in YBSJ - who I can't remember the arranger of - but it was called something like movie classics, and was a medley of "Ghostbusters", love lifts us up from "An Officer and a gentleman" and "Pretty Woman."

That was easily playable for non-contesting/4th section bands and upwards. Even the corners weren't too tricky.

I'll see if I can find out some more details.

alks

We did a few years back from the pen of Alan Fernie called " Where no-one has gone before". It features star trek (giveaway in the title?) star wars, ET, Superman and probably some other sci-fi type stuff that escapes me. Don't know if it's published cos he was conducting us at the time so it was in "fernie-script" and can't remember how hard it is but can't be that bad if i have fond memories of it. It always went down well with a crowd. PM him to ask if its published, or to suggest that he does something else cos he's the king of writing for lower section bands!:clap:

That sounds perfect, exactly what i had in mind, but i cant find it for sale so i dont think its published.

There was one we used to play back in YBSJ - who I can't remember the arranger of - but it was called something like movie classics, and was a medley of "Ghostbusters", love lifts us up from "An Officer and a gentleman" and "Pretty Woman."

That was easily playable for non-contesting/4th section bands and upwards. Even the corners weren't too tricky.

I'll see if I can find out some more details.

Thanks for that, I have a feeling that it might be the franky B's arrangement but ill check it. Perhaps not the best selection of movie themes however....

alks

Thirteen Ball

Thanks for that, I have a feeling that it might be the franky B's arrangement but ill check it.

Actually now you mention it, it might have been.... Oo-er....

Can't believe I just recommended one of his pieces. Forget I ever said anything and deny all knowledge of this conversation! ;)

emziesonic

Another Frank Bernaerts arrangements :oops:
Pearl Harbour
Its a lovely piece...played it at many a concert.:biggrin:

DMBabe

Supporting Member
That sounds perfect, exactly what i had in mind, but i cant find it for sale so i dont think its published.

PM Alan and ask him. He'll put u right! He's a pretty helpful guy and will tell u if he's done something else of that ilk too.