Mouthpieces: Gold rimmed mouthpieces

Di B

I play on a bog standard silver mouthpiece.

A few people I know however, now swear by having the edges of the mouthpiece coated in gold as it conducts better and therefore provides a better sound.

I'm also aware that you can now get decent gold mouthpieces - not like the horrible old gold plated ones that gave me a rash on my lip for six months! :evil: :evil:

So.... do people think that the gold thing is better and does in fact help your playing or is it all a load of codswallup and just a story to make us go and buy new mouthpieces?

Keppler

Staff member
I had my silver plate mp replated in gold, and then over plated in silver.
A bit confusing, but the inside surface is gold, and the outside below the rim is silver (for wear)

Possibly doesn't make a massive difference, but I think it does make a wee one.. at least to my ear. And that's what counts.

And it looks flashy! ;)

BTW, have just ordered a new Sparx cornet mp - anyone got any comments on them?

Di B

satchmo shaz said:
careful Di when the gold rubs off ................ rash city here we come !!
ooh matron!! :lol:

Does that still happen? I thought that the newer mouthpieces were gold rather than just being gold plated or something so that the nasty rash (a similar one to that which allegedly also occurs at Pontins/Blackpool/National Finals!!!) shouldn't appear.

That's wot I woz told anyway... but the bloke was trying to sell me a mouthpiece! lol!

PS. I got it sussed! I updated my pic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

HBB

Di B said:
satchmo shaz said:
careful Di when the gold rubs off ................ rash city here we come !!
ooh matron!! :lol:

Does that still happen? I thought that the newer mouthpieces were gold rather than just being gold plated or something so that the nasty rash (a similar one to that which allegedly also occurs at Pontins/Blackpool/National Finals!!!) shouldn't appear.

That's wot I woz told anyway... but the bloke was trying to sell me a mouthpiece! lol!

PS. I got it sussed! I updated my pic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like the Snoopy :p:p:p (I play on a bog standard mp too sad innit!:))

asteria

Di B said:
A few people I know however, now swear by having the edges of the mouthpiece coated in gold as it conducts better and therefore provides a better sound.

I can't think of any reason why gold conducting better would make a better mouthpiece.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind why a gold mouthpiece/instrument is supposed to give a warmer sound? Perhaps it's a psychological thing?

I've never tried a gold mouthpiece - does everyone notice a difference?

Helen

Boneman

I am led to believe that it does make a difference - I think that it might be to do with deadening vibrations - but I might be wrong ( I might be thinking of a mouthpiece booster)

When I bought my last trombone I was presented with an overwleming set of options (Red Brass Bell, Solid Silver bell!, Yellow Brass Bell - it goes on! You can even get them with interchangable bells now), I guess the best thing is to try one and see if you like it! I play on a silver coloured mouthpiece.

Matthew

I must admit I've seen more of these recently.....they do look the business anyway!

Are they available for Tuba anyone? Does anyone use one on a Bass and does it make any difference for you?

I've got a couple of mouthpieces that need re-plating, perhaps I could get them double plated with both silver and the gold.

Helen V said:
I've never tried a gold mouthpiece - does everyone notice a difference?

Helen

According to Phillip Farkas, it gives the right amount of lubrication for the lips or something. How the gold knows what amount of lubrication is thr right amount is beyond me.

Di B

Matthew said:
I must admit I've seen more of these recently.....they do look the business anyway!

Are they available for Tuba anyone? Does anyone use one on a Bass and does it make any difference for you?

I've got a couple of mouthpieces that need re-plating, perhaps I could get them double plated with both silver and the gold.

I know that you can get just gold mouthpieces which apparantly is no longer the nasty rashy stuff (but check that out!) and I know someone who had his mouthpiece replated all in silver apart from the very edge that goes against the mouth which was done in gold.

If anyone gets and professional advice on this one I would love to know what it is! :)

BoozyBTrom

The Bass players in our band have Black mouthpieces. they could get them done to what ever colour they wanted. one of the lads works in a plant where they make car parts and he addonised them ( think that is the word!!)

They dont seem to have any problems with them as the colouring is only a few microns thick

Keppler

Staff member
trying to think what you'd electroplate a mp with to make it black.. well something that wouldn't come off, anyway..

failing...

Rach, you're a science teacher! ;)

BoozyBTrom

The guy put it in the same machine that all of car parts go through. A conveyer belt type thing. Went in with all the wheel rims and the like. come out the other end hey presto its black

Aidan

mines silver with gold on the inside and on the rim, gives a much better feel on my lips for me

blondie

RE:- Gold Plated Mouthpieces

I first tried a Gold MP due to an allergic reaction to the silver when i was a youngster (Bach 5G). This was one of the best mp I have played on for all round trombone work. It stopped the rash in its tracks and as some of you have said it appears partly responsible for creating a warmer fuller sound. Recently I have been playing bass trom on a bands instrument and it was again time to purchase a bass trom gold plated mp (Wick 2 AL). There is a stark contrast to the previous silver mp again and i firmly believe that the mp is partly responsible for creating this noticeable characteristic.

Adam Roberson
Bass Trom
Wem Jubilee

Di B

BoozyBTrom said:
The guy put it in the same machine that all of car parts go through. A conveyer belt type thing. Went in with all the wheel rims and the like. come out the other end hey presto its black

Wouldn't the colour come off eventually though? Just thinking of the number of 'tashes that your bass section would support! :lol:

Well, it used to happen with the old gold plated mouthpieces so you never know..... but if it does please let me have a photo! :D :D

Bones

In response to Di B comments.

The Denis Wick Gold mouthpieces are Gold plate on the bare brass, which is the reason the gold comes off. Apparently something to do with the gold plate not liking brass that much. Whether this has been addressed in recent dvelopments I'm not sure

Whether it is codswallop or not I actually prefer to play on a Gold mouthpiece. But I use Vincent Bach M/ps, the cost of which was nearly double for a gold plated one. What I did was to get my M/p silver plated all over, then have the rim and the inner cup plated. This was done by a really nice bloke and an excellent craftsman in Yorkshire, called Alaric Knight. The cost was £18, and I got what I wanted, plus also, got to keep my original mouthpiece.

The theory behind playing on a gold mouthpiece is that it is a warmer metal on your face, so I believe. If anyone wants Alaric's details I would be more that willing to pass them on.

Cheers

Rich Walker
Carlton Main Frickley