Mouthpieces: Gold rimmed mouthpieces

neiltwist

lilcornetgirl said:
Why would it make a differance i mean it isn't the mouthpiece it is the person blowin it in it.

The mouthpiece is just a thing that you blow through the person blowing it makes the sound.

lov lilcornetgirrl

but if the different material affects the person, then it does make a difference, even if it is just mental.

markyboy

I've just got back home having been to Alaric Knight's house to pick up my mouthpiece (which I've used for 27 years) and it is now beautifully gold plated!
Haven't had chance yet to see if there is any difference in sound, but to give the man a total blatent plug- I'm sure many of us have got scratched and worn mouthpieces that could do with a 'make over'. This is the man to see!!
Very reasonable prices and very fast service! He will do a fantastic job for you.
If anyone is interested his phone number is 01226 765858.
ps I am not on any commission from him!

markyboy

Having now been playing on my newly gold plated mouthpiece for a week, I would have to say that there is quite a difference in sound! The gold plate seems to have given a 'darker' sound, more like a Bb cornet. Just wondered if anyone had the same experience going from silver to gold with the same mouthpiece?

Jo Elson

Just wondered if anyone had the same experience going from silver to gold with the same mouthpiece?
I definately noticed a difference in the sound too. Although I wouldn't say it it sounded like a Bb cornet, but that might just be if we play different instruments. Also it is a lot easier on my lips and I don't find it as hard to reach high notes but that may be just me.
:?

beard_4b

Gold is smoother than silver, so therefore feels more comfortable on ur lips, however with silver there is more friction!

Cantonian

beard_4b said:
Gold is smoother than silver, so therefore feels more comfortable on ur lips, however with silver there is more friction!

At a molecular level you are correct but I would challenge anybody to measure this manually.

I think that there is a lot of Psychological effect as to whether Gold or silver plate on brass is better.

beard_4b

Personally i dont like gold mouthpieces because after a while the gold fades and ur left with this horrible coloured mouthpiece - the fact that u may get a darker sound is immaterial!

I use an RW4B which is great, its not so deep as u get a huge mellow sound but no range out of it, but its not so shallow that u get a thin piercing sound out of it.

As long as u practice with ur mouthpiece whatever colour and not keep changing it all the time then u'll be fine! There are certain things u can practice to develop sound. The arban rules!!!

leisa

beard_4b said:
I use an RW4B which is great, its not so deep as u get a huge mellow sound but no range out of it, but its not so shallow that u get a thin piercing sound out of it.
i use a RW4 have been told it's especially popular for front row cornet players. find it handy on back row at sSBB too!
really like the RW one's!! mine is also silver but think i'm just used tyo that

Ray Woods

Reading through the many messages on this subject I would come to the conclusion that the Gold rimmed mouthpiece produces a darker sound because it has less friction than say a silver mouthpiece.

Imagine the mouthpiece pushed against your lip, and zoom in on the area between the lip meeting the inside rim of the mouthpiece. With the silver mouthpiece, as the lip vibrates, this portion of the lip may be locked in position due to the friction of silver. This may lead to a bright sound. Swapping the silver for 'slippery' gold, the contact area between the lip and gold inner rim will be able to move a little more than the silver. This extra area of vibration may lead to a richer tone.

And the gold is prettier so makes you feel better.

Moy

Just to complicate things even further...I have just had an old mouthpiece replated as it was scratched and really mankie as we say up here in Scotalnd.
It is silver but the inner and outer cup is gold.
Very pleased with it.

rdouglas1976

Cheers, I use a warbuton screw top so I can use it on cornet and trumpet. Here's what they say on their site about gold plating:

What effect does gold plating have?

Advantages:

Warms up to skin temperature quickly
Allows lips to "roll" in and out of mouthpiece with ease-- often preferred by players with a wet-lip set
More agreeable to those with allergy problems or sensitive skin
Caution:

Gold does not have as strong of a "friction grab" as silver. If you depend on the mouthpiece "sticking" to your lips, you may not be pleased with the results. When asking fellow trumpet players their opinion of gold, it is unlikely that you will get a middle-of-the-road answer; opinions run strong. If you are unsure, ask some players about their experiences with gold and try to relate them to your playing.

How much extra time does gold plating take?

No extra time! The Warburton factory is now equipped with an in-house, 24-Karat gold plating system. We use a silver base coat, so any unit which is in stock and ready for shipping can be gold plated the same day.

Must say I've never sen a gold plated one though.