Mouthpieces: Gold rimmed mouthpieces

Baldeagle

Bones said:
In response to Di B comments.

The Denis Wick Gold mouthpieces are Gold plate on the bare brass, which is the reason the gold comes off. Apparently something to do with the gold plate not liking brass that much. Whether this has been addressed in recent dvelopments I'm not sure

Whether it is codswallop or not I actually prefer to play on a Gold mouthpiece. But I use Vincent Bach M/ps, the cost of which was nearly double for a gold plated one. What I did was to get my M/p silver plated all over, then have the rim and the inner cup plated. This was done by a really nice bloke and an excellent craftsman in Yorkshire, called Alaric Knight. The cost was £18, and I got what I wanted, plus also, got to keep my original mouthpiece.

The theory behind playing on a gold mouthpiece is that it is a warmer metal on your face, so I believe. If anyone wants Alaric's details I would be more that willing to pass them on.

Cheers

Rich Walker
Carlton Main Frickley

Hi Richard nice to see you on here,love your web site :p

www.carltonbrass.org.uk

Mrs Fruity

That stopped that conversation, didn't it. I must apologise for that - it's just the primary school teacher in me taking over.

I have just had my DW2L bass mouthpiece replated as the old plating had worn and it was irritating my lips. I had it done by Alaric Knight in silver then gold on top, This leaves the outside silver and the rim and inside gold. I find it very comfortable and I think it makes a good sound too

Mrs Fruity

I can't speak highly enough of Alaric Knight. He has re-profiled and plated my husband's bass mouthpiece to custom specifications, and his workmanship is excellent - and he's an absolute gentleman.

BoozyBTrom

Mrs Fruity said:
I can't speak highly enough of Alaric Knight. He has re-profiled and plated my husband's bass mouthpiece to custom specifications, and his workmanship is excellent - and he's an absolute gentleman.
do you smack his legs????

BoozyBTrom

Mrs Fruity said:
I can see that you're troubled by this, G me dear - I hope I haven't scarred you (mentally) for life. Soz
I am a troubled soul. You've seen me so you should not be surprised,

timold

Mouthpiece

Gold or Silver

Having dealt with mouthpieces for some fifteen years I now can give some
little advice.

Gold is a softer metal than silver and is more comfortable on the lip, but you will find that there is more movement (when wet), so if you can't play with a wet lip then try and opt for silverplate.

Silverplate is better for people who can't play on a wet lip, I find now more and more people coming to me and asking....when I am playing and the lips get warm the mouthpiece starts sliding around....9 times out of 10 the person is playing a gold mouthpiece, and trying a silver one has helped.

If anyone requires anymore information, please feel free to contact me.

E-Mail: timothyoldroyd@hotmail.com

Despot

Mrs Fruity said:

Ditto, and he's fast.

Have had about a dozen band mouthpieces redone, mostly DW's that the gold wore off!

Aidan

Helen V said:
Di B said:
A few people I know however, now swear by having the edges of the mouthpiece coated in gold as it conducts better and therefore provides a better sound.
I can't think of any reason why gold conducting better would make a better mouthpiece.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind why a gold mouthpiece/instrument is supposed to give a warmer sound? Perhaps it's a psychological thing?

I've never tried a gold mouthpiece - does everyone notice a difference?

Helen
its to do with the density of the metal i think

I am playing on a silverDW mouthpiece size 4, but wonder if I should change for the higher note range. My tutor is now playing on a plastic or something mp does anyone else play on one of these and what is the advantage.?

Maestro

I use a Giardielli mouthpiece, and it is silver. Over here I was quoted anything between £60 and £90. I went online and got it shipped over from the states, it only cost me £38.
Many years ago, I did have a Giardinelli screw on rim that was nylon. It was a godsend when marching in the cold winter months. Unfortunately I was stupide enough to lend it to someone.....I never saw it again. I was well gutted, especially as they don't do the screw rims for euph any longer. :cry:

But for me, the Giardinelli is the best thing I have ever played on.

Jo Elson

I have just had a gold mouthpiece bought me and it's great, but I have had it confascated off me until my birthday.
Someone I know loves gold mouthpieces and I have to say after hearing him play with a silver mouthpiece and then the gold there is definately an improvement and the overall standard of his playing is loads better.
They also feel really nice on the lips and are a lot smoother for some reason.

markyboy

Gold rimmed mouthpieces

In a couple of weeks when our Band finishes for the summer I am planning to have my old kosicup soprano mouthpiece replated by Mr Knight. I'm sure he must be as good as people say, our conductor Ian Porthouse swears by him. I have also left another posting elsewhere trying to get my hands on another kosicup 1 1/2 sop mouthpiece if any one happens to have one knocking about.
Mark Wears Pennine Brass.

rutribal

They seem to make a difference

I am not positive about this, but I think it is due, in part, to gold being a better conductor than silver. Gold will therefore 'warm up' quicker and being a more malleable metal, it may seem to be more cushioned. This may have the effect of a warmer sound.

I used to play with gold mouthpieces on trumpet and cornet, for a warmer sound as I tended to find silver mouthpieces quite bright.

At the end of the day though there's probably a valid scientific reason for it but it comes down to personal preference.

Simon Morgan

neiltwist

Re: They seem to make a difference

rutribal said:
I am not positive about this, but I think it is due, in part, to gold being a better conductor than silver.
other way round sorry!

Why would it make a differance i mean it isn't the mouthpiece it is the person blowin it in it.

The mouthpiece is just a thing that you blow through the person blowing it makes the sound.

lov lilcornetgirrl

Keppler

Staff member
by that logic we should dispense with the intruments altogether, or all take up hoseaphones....