Motorbikes!!

Lloyd

Hi all,

I just thought it would be cool if we had a motorbike Disscussion on here.

Seeing my dad "TheMusicMan" wont let me have one. :( :(

I was just wondering if anyone else has got a on/off road Motorbike? :?: :dunno

Naomi McFadyen

When I was in my early teens I always wanted to have a motorbike... then when it came to my 17th, had driving lessons, and was learning drums it made sense to have a car for transporting the kit around in!

But, I am thinking of getting my bikers license next year, and eventually getting a bike... I've riden on the back of one of my friends this year and it was well good! :D

Keppler

Staff member
My sister's got one.. a small one mind you, but she's barely 155cm (5' 2" for the backward among you) so I suppose that's ok.. Think she really wanted a chopper, but she couldn't reach the ground on it..

wait for it though - she bought the helmet to match the colour of the fuel tank.. aargh!

Big Twigge

Something to put you off maybe (or maybe not, personally quite like them grrrr) but anyway.....
Daddy Twigge used to do motorbike stuff (a very very long time ago) and ended up with a splinter of metal in his eye....its still messed up now after lots of operations etc etc so be careful!!

Or do as your told and don't get one!

JessopSmythe

John, you're a spoilsport :(
I was a good bit younger than the MusicBoy when I bought my first bike for £5. Over 10 years later I finally took my test and started riding bikes legally :roll:

I think that if more people took their full bike test, the roads would be a lot safer. You have to be so much more observant on a bike, and, once you've ridden for a while you find the extra skills have a huge effect on the way you drive anything else.

Lloyd

JessopSmythe said:
John, you're a spoilsport :(
I was a good bit younger than the MusicBoy when I bought my first bike for £5. Over 10 years later I finally took my test and started riding bikes legally :roll:

Yes Dad!! thankyou JessopSmythe :lol: :tup

bagpuss

Ok, before Jessop or any of the wem lot pipe up, I only have amoped but it's a bike and it's got a motor therefore it counts as a motorbike (just).

Musicboy....if your dad won't let you have one persuade him to take you to a bike track or one of these quad trekking places. That way he can be absolutely sure you have all the necessary equipment before going out on said quad bikes etc and you can have a laugh. Also, if he sees you as being particularly good at it, it's one less reason he can throw at you for not having one (sorry Music Man!!)

I've ridden bikes (legally and otherwise) for years now, yes I am still a learner officially but regard myself as being quite proficient. Anyone who regards themselves as outstanding or brilliant usually isn't and they're the ones who end up having the accidents. Just a tip for anyone out there who may be thinking of getting a moped, don't get the same make I did!!!! They are pants!!! If you want to know the make I'm talking about PM me or email me and I'll tell you.

Puss

BigHorn

JessopSmythe said:
I think that if more people took their full bike test, the roads would be a lot safer. You have to be so much more observant on a bike, and, once you've ridden for a while you find the extra skills have a huge effect on the way you drive anything else.

I have to echo Mr Smythes comments. I decided to take my full test a few years ago. The lessons and the test itself is all about self preservation through defensive driving and observation. Before you make a manouvre you have to make very deliberate observations and position yourself correctly. This certainly makes you more aware of whats going on when you are driving.
The best thing about bikes though is they're fun - you can get a real buzz just by going around a roundabout smoothly with the right amount of lean. I'm not talking about going recklessly fast just the fact that you went around perfectly without having to make any adjustments.
For a few thousand pounds you get a machine that has the performance of a Ferrari. The fuel consumption of a Micra that can weave through the morning traffic so you can spend an extra half hour in bed. Also parking in towns is usually free.

My bike is fairly middle of the road stuff a Suzuki GSF 600 (the Ford Focus of the biking world) but it can still give a thrill on the way to work. You should all give it a go.

JessopSmythe

My bike is fairly middle of the road stuff a Suzuki GSF 600 (the Ford Focus of the biking world) but it can still give a thrill on the way to work. You should all give it a go.

That's exactly what I've got, cracking fun and cheap as chips

Seedhouse

Don't know much about motorbikes, only heard of a Ducati SPS 916 from the Euphonium solo by Roland Szentpali! :lol:

cornydevil

I agree Bighorn!
Motorbikes are much more fun than cars (except in the rain). The training involved really improves your hazard awareness. I used to have a Kawasaki GPZ500S and had great fun upsetting flash car drivers at the lights! Wish the girlfreind wouold let me have one now! not that she's the boss or anything..... 8)

lynchie

for all those coming up to your 16th bday thinking "I'm going to get a bike! It'll be really cool!" stop! 50cc mopeds, especially ones with that silly restrictor left in, are about as cool as that thing your gran rides to the shops on. You will be overtaken by buses, tractors and fast moving pedestrians, all swearing at you. And best of all drivers on roundabouts will ignore you totally and ruin your idea to "sell it for the same money in a year and get a 250".

Trust me, wait till you're 17, get a decent bike, and watch out for old blind men pulling out of junctions!

lynchie

cornydevil said:
I agree Bighorn!
Motorbikes are much more fun than cars (except in the rain). The training involved really improves your hazard awareness. I used to have a Kawasaki GPZ500S and had great fun upsetting flash car drivers at the lights! Wish the girlfreind wouold let me have one now! not that she's the boss or anything..... 8)

Is that a pink background in your avatar or her thumb pressing down on you?

Accidental

Supporting Member
Aw come on Music Man, let him have a bike...... my dad positively encouraged me to get a bike, and after I was knocked off it twice by other people then parted company with it on a wet corner, he let me decide all by myself that it was a pants idea!!!!

Seriosly though, I have to agree with the comments about bike training - it gave me much more road sense and made my car lessons easier. Sometimes I see bikes go whizzing past my nice safe little tin can on wheels and get all wishful.... but that only lasts until I remember the pain and realise you can't fit a labrador on one :lol: