MOST EMBARRISSING Rehersal

Melph

Crazysop said:
Never turned up drunk,

I found being drunk was the only way I could stob the pain of player the bl***y thing! Funny, most of the band also said they liked to be half cut when I was playing the sop.

andyp

I can remember Whit Friday a fair few years ago, playing Viva Burkenshaw, our bass trom at the time took it upon himself to repeat the bass solo three times! Well, I say repeat, he got as far as the first four notes, at ff, while the rest of the band started the pp trio, then stopped and was heard to cry "Oh...SUGAR!!" (except not sugar, something similar).
Huge round of applause from the crowd for him as he left the stage!

Another one, which I didn't see personally (was backstage panicking), but my wife was watching and told me about later, was when Dove Descending was first used at the Open, a band had the idea that to minimise the noise of players moving around the stage (which happens twice during the piece) they should remove their shoes. However socks don't grip too well on polished wooden stages, and one of the trombone players was very lucky not to damage their instrument!

Last edited:

Vickitorious

Oooooh I dont get embarassed.. I laugh at myself.. Oooh but the funniest thing thats happened to me is..

Well, I playing in the finals of the competition at NYBB, and at the end of the piece, my mouthpiece got stuck inbetween the buttons on my blouse LOL! So i was there stood infront of everyone knowing that if i pulled my horn too hard my buttons would pop undone, So i was trying to gently get it out lol! at the same time trying to shake hands with the pianist and laughing SO much! Ooh dear that was quite funny!! :biggrin:

we were at a march contest and we noticed our conductor walking a bit odd and he moved the band around a weird way so he was facing the audience, and straight after he made my brother run him home because he later confessed as he got in our car to go to the contest he split his pants leaving his backside on full view to the world!! haha! classic!

omg

ive played with a few bands so i have a few to choose from so heres just a little selection:

the week before the area contest the conductor falls off a ladder and has to conduc the test piece with his arm in a cast.

another conductor turnded up to a church concert with no shoes so stole the priciple cornets and made him wear trainers,
and just one more to keep you going.

this years championship area test piece had a high number of percussion parts, (we played 6) so after many rehearsals getting none percussionists to play we went on stage buzzing with enthusiasm only for the leather strap to break on the clash cymbs making an almighty row through a pp section. oops.:eek:

oh yeah and playing 2nd trom at whit marches with no liar, high amounts of drink holding the music to my bell sight reading the march because i should of been playing side drum.

Melph

I recall a time when Cawston band were asked to play in a local chuch for a wedding.

There we were, we had played several hymns during the service and were waiting patiently for the wedding to end........ as the bride and groom were about to walk down the aisle, the organist started up.

To say that the entire band and congregation physically jumped is an under statement! As a result, there was so much nervous \ shock laughter that im not sure the happy couple were noticed.

Ps: - Chunkly, i think you might know who I am talking about re: organist.

2nd man down

Staff member
Vickitorious said:
Oooooh I dont get embarassed.. I laugh at myself.. Oooh but the funniest thing thats happened to me is..

Well, I playing in the finals of the competition at NYBB, and at the end of the piece, my mouthpiece got stuck inbetween the buttons on my blouse LOL! So i was there stood infront of everyone knowing that if i pulled my horn too hard my buttons would pop undone, So i was trying to gently get it out lol! at the same time trying to shake hands with the pianist and laughing SO much! Ooh dear that was quite funny!! :biggrin:

And there you were, worried that your shoes wouldn't let you breathe!!! What are you like?? :rolleyes:

tubafran

Have played plenty of excellent/loud notes in the wrong place but the following is a shared recent embarrassing moment.

Saturday morning BBSBB had a 6 piece playing at the re-opening of a Barnsley Building Society branch on Kirkgate, Wakefield. Played Congratutlations and a few carols for the official opening ceremony. All going well until an elderly gentleman approached us with the comment "if I'd known you were going to be here I could have played along with my finger cymbals" - trying not to be too offensive we suggested that perhaps he should go home and get them to which he replied "I've got them in my pocket" and then proceeded to produce a rather dirty handkerchief from his pocket wrapped around his cymbals.

Well no option really we agreed to let him play - the conductor (playing cornet) counted us all in and off we went with this old guy tingling along - conductor managed 2 notes before he fell about and had to stop - 2nd cornet lasted 3 bars and by this time the rest of us were in complete hysterics - just no way we could continue - try not to laugh when others are.

We decided that for our own professional pride we had to complete a least one carol with the accompanist and just managed to get through Jingle Bells.

Even more surreal was the teenage girl walking past us into MacDonalds wearing no shoes and a dressing gown - came out 5 minutes later with a coffee and as she passed us her comment to our incredulous stares was "I'm a gypsy and we don't wear shoes" - yes but that still didn't explain why she'd only got a dressing gown on. Add to this event, the building society football type characters of Freddie the Falcon and a Fox and this must have been the weirdest job I've ever played at.

Lesson learnt here - playing in city centres don't half attract some right loonies.

yr_epa

I remember doing the armisitice parade in my home town back in '98 maybe. 2 cornets playing the Last Post. First few bars go ok, then all of a sudden one of the cornets faints and lands somehow on a grass verge, not one mark on the cornet or him! It was amazing nothing happened. Apparently it was the fault of a certain type of beer (Carling Premier for those that remember!) and that he had only woken up 10 mintues to 11!

The other person carried on playing as though nothing had happened! Class!

PS. Did i forget to say that it was me! D'oh!

Product tMP members are discussing