Morley March & Hymn Tune Competition

I did enjoy the contest, It was only a general observation.I am looking forward to Silkstone contest next week, always a good place to get drunk and poach players.

Nuke

Bit of a farce, most bands had more borrowed players than their own, rent a band strikes again.

Hey, don't look at me I wasn't playing for anyone this time.

Was a great contest. Weather held off and some very good playing by all the bands that were there.
Well done to Marsden for winning ANOTHER march contest and well done to Barrytone and Knottingly Band with an excellent second place result against some tough opposition.

Hope to be there again next year.

The Cornet King

no it s not charmian, Marsden are my favourite band for march playing, always have been, anyway my comments were not directed at them.

I hope not given that the band that won today (with the exception of maybe 2 players) will be the band that turns up to all our rehearsals and jobs and has been the band that has consistently turned out excellent results in march contests for a very long time. I think we have discussed all that to death in the other thread.

I want to say well done to the organisers for a very well run and thoroughly enjoyable contest, and we at Marsden are very proud and delighted to be the inaugral champions and we will be there no doubt next year. A full break down of the results are on 4BR.
Congratulations to all the winners and everyone (bands and audience) for supporting the event.

Last edited:
Yes victory for Marsden was well deserved considering that one band had several top championship players in their ranks and failed to win any position.

agentorange

A massive well done to all at Knottingley Silver Band, and congratulations Robin on your first podium place since taking over.

Well done to all my friends at Stocksbridge too, yet another pot to add to the collection.

Sorry i couldn't be there to cheer you both on.

gawber

STUART HAIGH likes nothing better than to have a good old moan! Honestly, he's the Victor Meldrew of the brass band world!:biggrin:

Dodworth borrowed players too-my old man was one of them!;)

See you at Silkstone on Saturday STUART and don't moan at me when I try and sell you some raffle tickets!:tongue:

2nd man down

Staff member
Excellent contest, well run, well organised, brilliant location.

I depped with Grange Moor Band today, my band weren't there, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

(Just as a side note, everyband borrows players, it's the nature of the beast, and there are always going to be the odd seat to fill, whatever job it is, be it a concert or a contest, but, certainly at contests, there's a massive difference between playing some deps, and playing several players who are from of a higher section and likely to give an advantage or better chance than that band would normally have. They're not deps, they're ringers.)

Don t bother trying to sell me any raffle tickets at Silkstone cos I never take any money with me, and I take my own ale in a netto carrier bag.

A massive well done to all at Knottingley Silver Band, and congratulations Robin on your first podium place since taking over.

Well done to all my friends at Stocksbridge too, yet another pot to add to the collection.

Cheers for that, it was an enjoyable day. nice to see so many bands there on the first contest.

Just want to throw back to someone else on the post.. if so many bands need to use deps to attend this contest - (and we were in a very similar situation) - then what's the alternative.. noone attends?...

Actually, I found the dep situation to give me a really positive view of bands. There were several people rushing back from one band to help out another. drum sticks getting loaned out (thank you Gawthorpe!) and generally a really good attitude of supporting each other.

Very much an advert for the banding movement.

And as there is generally a severe shortage of players around (especially in the summer), then we should be grateful that on occasions like this, players are more than willing to spread themselves thin.

bassmittens

Completely agree with the sentiments of the above post! With the risk of sounding like a 'Brass band cliche' ...........surely it should be about the music and also enjoying yourself in your hobby firstly - and the competing/winning (although very nice indeed) should be secondary to that?

Sounds like it was a great day - wish we could have been there playing too! Maybe next year?

barrytone

Thanks Neil, everyone is absolutely delighted. We've worked so hard this year and it's nice to finally get a reward for all our efforts.

May see you at Silkstone?

Gladis

Cheers Neil!! We were all really pleased!!
And well done to everyone who participated. I had a really enjoyable day so thankyou to all the organisers.
And I agree with the earlier post regarding players running between the bands. It's nice to forget all the politics that unfortunately occurs in banding and to see everyone helping each other and enjoying the day!!

alibaba

we at Marsden are very proud and delighted to be the inaugral champions and we will be there no doubt next year. A full break down of the results are on 4BR.
Congratulations to all the winners and everyone (bands and audience) for supporting the event.

I would just like to take this opportunity to congratulate everyone at Marsden for another successful day. ( In my opinion well deserved ).

It has been a pleasure to helpout Marsden at everyone of this year's march contests.

They are a dedicated band who work very hard to earn the success they have acheived.

To stir the dep debate up a bit.

I believe Marsden only had 4 deps.

That included myself who plays regularly for a band that is graded 2 sections lower.

A 'true' honest victory.

tubaloopy

Its Hard To Get All Your Players Available So You Have To Borrow Most Of The Bands Borrowed Today Including The Prizewinners But It Was A Good Day Out With Some Fine Performances.well Done To Everyone Who Competed And Im Sure The Contest Will Go On To Flourish In The Future.lets Stop Moaning

Amazing.
Apart from the first word the only two without a capital letter should have had one.

Where is that ignore button?

ploughboy

Just been looking at the 4barsrest results, and Old Silkstone B are down as winners as 4th section but in breakdown below It shows Tingley Brass having more points, And in the tie for 4th place they've got the points adding up wrong! Or is it me??!!

Oh and must be a massive well done to Alex Wilkinsons Youth band who beat the senior band from their organisation!! Pat on the back me thinks, and I may even buy a pint in the pub this week!!

Tracey

I think Tingley Brass were being marked by the adjudicators but would not figured in the results regardless of their scores, so that's why Old Silkstone B won the prize.

The adding up does seem to be a bit out for =4th place.

Very good contest and turn out for the first contest. :clap:

Hope to be there again next year its the day after ours!

Product tMP members are discussing