More brass band training courses

Nat

does anyone else think that we in the brass band world should try to get some more trainig weekends, i went to one in durham and it has improved my playing alot, and it was also nice to meet new people with the same interests anyone agree?? :D

blondie

Yeah i think its a good idea. You can never have too much info. or help on things. Have done some day courses with Shropshire County School of Music and they were very informative.

I did hear of a week course around the Worcester area with masterclasses and recitals etc, but everything comes at a price and this was somewhere in the region of hundreds of pounds. Not saying that the 'experts' shouldn't have there time paid for but a bit out of my league.

But i suppose the experience and meeting new people and playing different stuff might off-set it a bit.

Naomi McFadyen

I think training courses and workshops are essential... you learn an aweful lot and the experience is great- the most important thing of all is bands learning to play as a group, as opposed to playing as 28 or so individuals.

Nat

i thought maybe we could use some of our TMP players we do have very experienced players all around us that could teach us a fair bit about playing, i think we should try to organise our own??? :D

blondie

I think thats a very good idea Nat. We certainly do have some fine players amongst our ranks, and i'm sure even with their hectic schedules they wouldn't mind giving some valuable pointers at an organised event????!!!!

I'd certainly be interested in helping (I studied at the RCM and played professionally in London for a few years!)

My fee - as always a couple of beers!

Nat

cheers mate we are going to need alot of people to help if we want to make it happen :D

blondie

The only problem i could forsee would be that of location, with such geographical coverage (i.e the world), anyone got any sensible locations that would be central to the U.K and the type of venue that would be required?????

Nat

it would probably need to be a place where people could stay, it would have to be central england(perhaps yorkshire) i dont know we could see where people wanted to do it :D

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Nat_rep said:
I think we should put it to john to see what he thinks

Hi Nat_Rep & everyone else... :)

Though at first glance, this IS a good idea - I do feel however that it would take an awful lot of organisation. But.... being the eternal optimist that I am.... I am willing to put the official tMP name on this and see what we can come up with.

the tMP Training Course or the tMP Summer School both have a certain 'ring' to them yeah :)

I will discuss the possibilities with the team and get back to you ASAP - probably within a day or so, that OK? There are also certain questions that need to be asked of people who might be interested such as...

how far would you travel, how much would you pay, how long would you want the course to be over? etc...

... watch this space and who knows.... :)

John

PeterBale

Staff member
It may be that one or two smaller, more local events would be better than having too many travelling all over the place. I would be willing to help if something were taking place nearer to me, but I couldn't envisage going right up to Yorkshire to do so.