Missing European Championships Recordings

John Brooks

I have an extensive collection that includes most of the winning performances in the set work and own choice sections from the first contest to 2019. I am missing 5 set work and 8 own choice as follows:
Set Work: Trittico (James Curnow) - Christie-Tyler Cory 1989; Frontier (Michael Ball) - Black Dyke 1987; Royal Parks (George Lloyd) - Sun Life 1985; Ciacona Seria (Henk Badings) - Black Dyke 1983; The Land of the Long White Cloud (Philip Sparke) - Cory 1980.
Own Choice: Variations on an Enigma (Philip Sparke) - BB Willebroek 1991; The Year of the Dragon (Philip Sparke) - Desford 1987; Dances & Arias (Edward Gregson) - Cory 1985; Blitz (Derek Bourgeois) - Black Dyke 1984; An Epic Symphony (Percy Fletcher) - Black Dyke 1983; Pageantry (Herbert Howells) - Black Dyke 1982; Journey Into Freedom (Eric Ball) - Black Dyke 1980; Connotations (Edward Gregson) - Black Dyke 1978.
While I have other recordings of these works, other than Ciacona Seria, it's recordings of these specific performances that I would like to obtain to complete my collection.
A search of the Internet came up empty. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in anticipation.

James Yelland

I have an extensive collection that includes most of the winning performances in the set work and own choice sections from the first contest to 2019. I am missing 5 set work and 8 own choice as follows:
Set Work: Trittico (James Curnow) - Christie-Tyler Cory 1989; Frontier (Michael Ball) - Black Dyke 1987; Royal Parks (George Lloyd) - Sun Life 1985; Ciacona Seria (Henk Badings) - Black Dyke 1983; The Land of the Long White Cloud (Philip Sparke) - Cory 1980.
Own Choice: Variations on an Enigma (Philip Sparke) - BB Willebroek 1991; The Year of the Dragon (Philip Sparke) - Desford 1987; Dances & Arias (Edward Gregson) - Cory 1985; Blitz (Derek Bourgeois) - Black Dyke 1984; An Epic Symphony (Percy Fletcher) - Black Dyke 1983; Pageantry (Herbert Howells) - Black Dyke 1982; Journey Into Freedom (Eric Ball) - Black Dyke 1980; Connotations (Edward Gregson) - Black Dyke 1978.
While I have other recordings of these works, other than Ciacona Seria, it's recordings of these specific performances that I would like to obtain to complete my collection.
Thanks in anticipation.
There is a 1989 recording of Trittico on the "25 Years of the European Brass Band Championships" triple CD but it's by Eikanger, and the notes say that the recording comes from "the CD of Eikanger's winning performances", which seems to clash with your idea that Cory won it that year.

Apart from that, I'm sure I've seen a CD with the famous 1987 Dragon performance pop up on Ebay occasionally - I'll keep an eye out.

John Brooks

There is a 1989 recording of Trittico on the "25 Years of the European Brass Band Championships" triple CD but it's by Eikanger, and the notes say that the recording comes from "the CD of Eikanger's winning performances", which seems to clash with your idea that Cory won it that year.

Apart from that, I'm sure I've seen a CD with the famous 1987 Dragon performance pop up on Ebay occasionally - I'll keep an eye out.
Thanks James. Such is the complexity of the Euro's.....Eikanger won the title in 1989 but did not win the Set Test, so their "winning performance" is a correct designation from one perspective. It is the Eikanger performance that has lived on and not what must have been a fantastic performance by Cory.

I'll double check the Dragon.

Appreciate your comments.

John Brooks

Thanks James. Such is the complexity of the Euro's.....Eikanger won the title in 1989 but did not win the Set Test, so their "winning performance" is a correct designation from one perspective. It is the Eikanger performance that has lived on and not what must have been a fantastic performance by Cory.

I'll double check the Dragon.

Appreciate your comments.
Hi again James. Dragon was the set test for 1986 which Desford won and I have that recording. The following year they played it as their own choice and they also won that section; however Black Dyke won overall. To clarify, it's the second (1987) performance I'm looking for.

maynas

Thanks in anticipation.
I have a recording of Thoresby playing Pageantry. We played it better than the winners so why not give it a try?

John Brooks

I have a recording of Thoresby playing Pageantry. We played it better than the winners so why not give it a try?
Thanks. I was hoping to get the winning performances. I have many recordings of Pageantry although not the one by Thoresby. I do appreciate your feedback.

Product tMP members are discussing