Midlands Regional Championships - 2010

Daveoo

Ooh steady on there David - next you'll be suggesting that these bands would like to play in Sheffield City Hall instead of Bradford. Perhaps someone should start a thread about that :).
That's a good idea, hadn't thought of that, maybe we could start a thread on it. :)

tubafran

..... look at Yorkshire 4th section Worsbourgh came 12th (last) last year and 1st this year and will be promoted. I cant see that happening in the Midlands can you?
Just a correction Ian - Worsbourgh were 8th out of 9 bands last year and their average for the previous year (first time in Regionals 2009) was 5.5. As you so rightly point out any band competing for the first time in the Midlands would start with an average of 12 for each of the two previous years compared to say 11 in total for Yorkshire.

.....maybe as someone else said, if a band is on the border between areas let them choose which they want to play in. then it would ease the burdon, I can think of 5 or 6 4th section bands in NE Derbyshire who would be better off playing in Yorkshire instead of the Midlands because it would level the playing field, 16 bands in Yorkshire or 28 bands in the Midlands??? Mmm now let me see.......
At present, the regions are divided up depending on the county boundaries. A slight change to this criteria could make all the difference.

Why not have a look at using postcode districts instead. As Whitwell, Dronfield and Ireland have Sheffield postcodes they could be competing alongside other Yorkshire bands. The City Hall would just be the icing on the cake ;)

tubafran

Why not have a look at using postcode districts instead. As Whitwell, Dronfield and Ireland have Sheffield postcodes they could be competing alongside other Yorkshire bands. The City Hall would just be the icing on the cake ;)
Dont forget Creswell, just round the corner too - take care though a mass move of bands from North East Derbyshire into Gods Own Country would even out the South and West Yorkshire bands numbers - having said that Bradford is nearer than Bedworth and the facilities there are rather nice. ;)

Last edited:
In my honest opinion the 4th section in the Midlands is a joke. I dont care who the judge is, or how good he claims to be, no man on Gods Earth can give a fair and accurate placing to 25 bands. Something needs to change dramatically.

Persoanlly we have a 2.5 hr drive to Bedworth, which would get us to Blackpool or Bradford. If thats the answer then its fine with me. Another option maybe spliting the Midlands 4th section into two seperate events.

Whatever, something should happen. But something won't happen will it?, and this discussion will occur again in roughly 12 months time

Daveoo

And that is the point, nothing will happen..... unless we as members and participants push the regional committees and the promoters to do something about it. We are the life blood of the whole thing, without us how much is Kapitol going to make? There are a lot of good ideas on this thread and I'm sure that between us all we can come to a compromise.

marksmith

Sorry to divert the conversation a little but has anyone worked out the table/rankings for the 3rd section, following this year's results?

1Shirebrook MW Unison 4 3 2 9
2Porthywaen 9 ar7 1 17
3Hucknall & Linby 9 av 5 6 20
4Avonbank Evesham 8 10 3 21
5Long Eaton Silver 9 ar 8 ar5 22
6Amington 9 ap4 11 24
6Rushden Windmill 9 11 4 24
8Stamford 11 6 8 25
9West Mercia Constabulary 9 ar8 ar10 27
10City of Birmingham 12 9 7 28
11Rolls Royce Derby 9 ar8 ar13 30
11Cubbington Silver 17 1 12 30
13Daventry 9 ar 14 9 31
14Thoresby Colliery Youth 9 ar8 ar16 33
14Warwick University 3 16*14 33
16Burbage (Buxton) 9 ap13 15 37
17Newstead Abbey Brass 10 16* 17* 43

Hope this helps Mark, it's correct as far as I am aware. Sorry about the layout doesn't translatewell from excel. By the way, who were you playing with?

Tubist

And that is the point, nothing will happen..... unless we as members and participants push the regional committees and the promoters to do something about it. We are the life blood of the whole thing, without us how much is Kapitol going to make? There are a lot of good ideas on this thread and I'm sure that between us all we can come to a compromise.

Okay - I think the strength of opinion here is sufficient to at least start to challenge the relevant committees and where necessary Kapitol Promotions. I am more than willing to act as a spokesperson.

Anyone who wishes to join me or support the argument that the Midlands Fourth Section numbers need to be adjusted and that consideration needs to be given to the contest venue in view of this years adjudicators comments can PM me here for details of my private e mail address.

Colin Hartley
MD Audley Brass

My comments reflect my personal views and are not necessarily indicative of the views or opinions of Audley Brass

marksmith

1Shirebrook MW Unison 4 3 2 9
2Porthywaen 9 ar7 1 17
3Hucknall & Linby 9 av 5 6 20
4Avonbank Evesham 8 10 3 21
5Long Eaton Silver 9 ar 8 ar5 22
6Amington 9 ap4 11 24
6Rushden Windmill 9 11 4 24
8Stamford 11 6 8 25
9West Mercia Constabulary 9 ar8 ar10 27
10City of Birmingham 12 9 7 28
11Rolls Royce Derby 9 ar8 ar13 30
11Cubbington Silver 17 1 12 30
13Daventry 9 ar 14 9 31
14Thoresby Colliery Youth 9 ar8 ar16 33
14Warwick University 3 16*14 33
16Burbage (Buxton) 9 ap13 15 37
17Newstead Abbey Brass 10 16* 17* 43

Hope this helps Mark, it's correct as far as I am aware. Sorry about the layout doesn't translatewell from excel. By the way, who were you playing with?
Thanks for that, much appreciated. I played with Hucknall and Linby.
All the best.

ian perks

In my honest opinion the 4th section in the Midlands is a joke. I dont care who the judge is, or how good he claims to be, no man on Gods Earth can give a fair and accurate placing to 25 bands. Something needs to change dramatically.

Whatever, something should happen. But something won't happen will it?, and this discussion will occur again in roughly 12 months time
I agree with you on the size of the section 25 /24 bands is far to many when you look at the 2nd section only 10!!!!!
Easiest thing is to promote 5/6 bands from 4th section into 3rd and promote 4/5 bands into 2nd section from 3rd.
That will give the second section more bands and more competitive look about it.

AEHOWGATE

"I agree with you on the size of the section 25 /24 bands is far to many when you look at the 2nd section only 10!!!!!
Easiest thing is to promote 5/6 bands from 4th section into 3rd and promote 4/5 bands into 2nd section from 3rd.
That will give the second section more bands and more competitive look about it."

Can somebody please suggest this to the powers that be?

I was disappointed to see how many quality 4th section bands ended up so low down this year. Some people don't seem to understand that you need a higher section sound in place before you arrive there, it cannot be something just switch on when you know you are going up a section.

Daveoo

If you refer to an earlier post from Tubist and PM him we are trying to organise getting together to make sure something s done before next years area can be arranged, maybe we can put a stop to this

nigeb12

Next I and the band have been working so hard for 6 years to get out of the 4th section and this year we were so close but with our 17th place like whitwells 21st and dronfields 22nd we are all now here for 2 years if we dont win the nationals next year.

What I am trying to say is the 4th section in the Midlands is just so hard to get out of.
Although our band doesnt compete in the Midlands Area I have a great deal of sympathy with the position that you find yourself in.

I heard your band play at Buxton and thought you sound very good indeed.

We find ourselves in a similar predicament after coming last last year. Our results just prior and immediately after have been

3rd, 3rd, 19th(NW Area), 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st

We could have gone up had we had a good result but as it is we are set to stay in the 4th section for another year at least.

We accept that a judge has his own criteria and that it is a thankless task to put the bands in perfect order. It may well be that the first 3 maybe 4 bands can be fairly straight forward but after that and the water gets very muddy! Personally I would love to see 2 adjudicators. Still may not be perfect though.

Good luck to you all in your future efforts.

Daveoo

We accept that a judge has his own criteria and that it is a thankless task to put the bands in perfect order. It may well be that the first 3 maybe 4 bands can be fairly straight forward but after that and the water gets very muddy! Personally I would love to see 2 adjudicators. Still may not be perfect though.
We had 2 in the box, but the only thing they seemed to be interested in was how loud the performance was, and unfortunetly when you have 2 people so obsessed with one criteria and not even listening (sorry just how it seems) to the rest of the performance, you can't win. Saying that though I think to contest day could have been shortened as we only needed to play the first 45 bars and they would have made their decision as to if it was going to be too loud and if it had dynamic range.

A Performance Against the Odds

Huge congratulations to Sovereign Brass :clap:following what was a great result and performance on Sunday against the odds. I know they are too modest to say but the catastrophie surrounding the new registration rules :confused: left them short of a number of key players. Under the direction of the genius that is the Major the band pulled a great performance out of the bag almost making it to London. No band would have been more deserving given the difficulties. Well done one and all:tup
And whilst we are on the subject what numpty changed the rules? :oops: I hope you are proud of yourself/selves - isn't it hard enough putting a band out in the current climate? What are you trying to do cripple the banding movement - Numpty thinking (and Numpty isn't a compliment). You have the right to reply just as I have the right to critcise one of the worst decisions ever to be forced on bands.:mad:

marc71178

We had 2 in the box, but the only thing they seemed to be interested in was how loud the performance was, and unfortunetly when you have 2 people so obsessed with one criteria and not even listening (sorry just how it seems) to the rest of the performance, you can't win.
This is really getting tedious now - so you didn't get a good result - we get it.

Could it be that the volume these bands played at meant that the adjudicators couldn't pick out the detail the band was playing? Certainly from what has been put on here from neutral observers (and also what I've heard from other neutral people who were at the contest) - that might well have been the case.

tubafran

This is really getting tedious now - so you didn't get a good result - we get it.

Could it be that the volume these bands played at meant that the adjudicators couldn't pick out the detail the band was playing? Certainly from what has been put on here from neutral observers (and also what I've heard from other neutral people who were at the contest) - that might well have been the case.
One band getting that comment, maybe, 3 or 4 previously well placed bands getting it so wrong on the day?

So the only valid comment can come from a "neutral observer" well they must be right mustnt they? Quite a lot of equally neutral listeners were gobsmacked by the result - and by neutral I mean players and conductors of other bands.

There is a lot of anger that hasnt yet been expressed here perhaps a separate thread needs to be started with this specific problem then you wont have to be bored with it.

Mods separate thread or stay in this one?

BottyBurp

Hi All

Can I just take this opportunity to say thank you to you all, for your kind messages and emails over the last couple of days.

Regards

What Rule Changes

Huge congratulations to Sovereign Brass :clap:following what was a great result and performance on Sunday against the odds. I know they are too modest to say but the catastrophie surrounding the new registration rules :confused: left them short of a number of key players. Under the direction of the genius that is the Major the band pulled a great performance out of the bag almost making it to London. No band would have been more deserving given the difficulties. Well done one and all:tup
And whilst we are on the subject what numpty changed the rules? :oops: I hope you are proud of yourself/selves - isn't it hard enough putting a band out in the current climate? What are you trying to do cripple the banding movement - Numpty thinking (and Numpty isn't a compliment). You have the right to reply just as I have the right to critcise one of the worst decisions ever to be forced on bands.:mad:
Firstly many congratulations it was nice to see you qualify for london.
Just out of interest what rule changes did the organisers change that could effect you.
I play in the Yorkshire region and we have not heard of any changes in our area.

Cheers