Midlands Regional Championships - 2009

BigHorn

OBVIOUSLY ignoring this completely as it's not official - but with the two promotions that puts (would put) Foresters top of the table, which is (would be) great news! Well done to everyone for the very hard work over the last few weeks. :clap:

Of course if the unofficial table does in the end differ from the official one, well done anyway!!

Good luck Phoenix & Cov in Harrogate...

Sorry to burst your bubble but only the last 2 years results will go forward.
Foresters will be on 13 points, Carlton and Foss Dyke will both be on 10 points and City of Coventry 11.5. So Forresters will lie joint 4th (with Hathern) going into next areas. Carlton and Foss Dyke will top the table.

alangiff3

Sorry to burst your bubble but only the last 2 years results will go forward.
Foresters will be on 13 points, Carlton and Foss Dyke will both be on 10 points and City of Coventry 11.5. So Forresters will lie joint 4th (with Hathern) going into next areas. Carlton and Foss Dyke will top the table.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is the last 3 results that go forward not 2!

themusicalrentboy

just to clarify - I'm not intentionally being annoying, but Foss has had considerable upheaval before the last two areas, so to come out the other side so far up our table is considered some achievement within the band.

Pav

Think you're missing the point Alan. Forresters will be the highest ranked band left in the section now but going into next year's area you drop the 07 result so only makes sense to look at 2 year's results for the purposes of that. So Foss and Carlton are top going into 2010.

towse1972

Yup! 3 years results make up the table for promotion/demotion. This year and last carry forward to make your place in the table for next year.
Well done Desford.

BigHorn

No its the last 2 plus your result on the day of the areas.
If you are talking about who heads the 1st section table then to be exact you must state pre or post contest. Post 2009 contest its Phoenix, Pre 2010 its Carlton/Foss Dyke.
On either count its not Forresters. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish to take anything away from Forresters because I reckon they are a cracking good band who are full of talented youngsters and I think they must be hot favourites for promotion next year - however on any system of counting they don't head the current table.

I

I would like to congratulate Ceramic Brass. A new band and their first Area contest - 9th out of 21 in the fourth section - a very respectable result - well done!

Last edited:

David Mann

Just got back from Bedworth, good day out, met lots of people, donated generously to the trade stands, played ok. Baritonedeaf and the other stewards, :clap: great job.
I heard the last 6 bands in the championship section and was glad not to have been in the box. Something good to say for every performance, Desford had that bit more musicality, if not 100% eror free.

Just got back from Bedworth. Great, great day.

WE WON:):):)!!!

I've never been to Harrogate.

Congratulations to all the players.

And, of course, the biggest,most heartfelt congratulations to our MD, David Fretwell - the Blues Brothers' other more talented brother.

Well done also to Dronfield and Fairfield.

Commiserations to Rolls Royce. 4th is the worst place to finish, and that's the second time in 3 years. However, by my calculations you have earned yourselves promotion to the third section for next year.

scotchgirl

My son summed our day up perfectly today lol! 'there's always next year, never mind mummy'....:) I had a fab day today, and sadly we didn't come anywhere (12th out of 13), but hey ho...that's banding...still got to meet up with mates and the kids had a good day lol!

Well done to Desford, Newstead, Thoresby and GUS....:)

Carryon_Cornet

I am going to keep this brief....

A lot of people have commented to me about the results as a whole over the weekend. A few shocks no doubt but the overall standard of the adjudication was poor to say the least. The general comments for my band were we didn't play the rhythms that were written and subsequently were placed low down....

Now....if, for instance, a tuba doesn't sustain his/her note at the end of the first movement then surely that is incorrect rhythmic playing? Or if a Flugel Horn misses notes in solo then again can this be rhythmically correct? Tuning, intonation and dynamics weren't even offered in our crits as reasons for our low placing!

The bands who didn't have as good as dynamic contrast as us (audience view - not mine) and bands where whole sections made mistakes still come higher.

It is easy to say "oh, thats contesting..." but really is it?

Adjudicators said....the metronome making is not set in stone (I'm paraphrasing) and as long as it makes musical sense any speed fast or slow is acceptable. Great!!!! So we spend hours practising one of the hardest 1st section pieces for years at the correct tempo to be told 10 mins after the conclusion that we needn't have bothered!!

I am bitter but also have been doing this long enough to realise that perceptions are a strange thing. I was confident we had done enough....it turns out 4 barsrest thought we had and most people who commiserated with us also thought we deserved better.

The keeping it short thing didn't work....but I do feel better!!!!

Congrats to Pheonix and Cov both contain friends and I wish them well for the Nationals!!!!