Michael Jackson

Discussing this in class this morning and one of the kids turned around and said something which has struck a chord (pardon the pun).

"Sir. He might have been a pop-god and that, but at the end of the day he should died in prison where he belonged for what he did to them kids. If I do that in 10 years time, just 'cos I ain't got millions of squid I'd be banged up."

Out of the mouths of babes as they say.....

(And I've had about 30 jokes this morning, non I can put on here though)

Bass Trumpet

Apparently it wasn't a heart attack at all. He died tripping over a child's pushchair. However, Doctors say it's too early to blame it on the buggy!

You have too much time on your hands Ant. Press wrong. He didn't die of a heart attack. It was a cardiac arrest...... there's a difference!! Heart attack = myocardial infarction, cardiac arrest is a secondary event in the context of many other underlying conditions. Heart attack doesn't kill you...... cardiac arrest can! Here endeth the lesson.

I would imagine it was not so much a 'press wrong' but a dumming down for the thousands of listeners/readers who,when upon hearing he'd died of a cardiac arrest, would most certainly have though he'd died whilst being detained by the police! If the press used the correct terminology all of the time I'm pretty sure a lot wouldn't have a clue what was going on.... ever! :tongue:

PeterBale

Staff member
Note: several non ff comments removed: please keep to our usual standards when posting on this thread

BigHorn

Surprised theres no conspiricy theories yet. Murder is a favourite or him faking his death so he can lead an anonymous life . (He's no stranger to plastic surgery after all.) Watch this space, expect reports of people seeing him down the chip shop with Elvis.

Bryan_sop

Surprised theres no conspiricy theories yet. Murder is a favourite or him faking his death so he can lead an anonymous life . (He's no stranger to plastic surgery after all.) Watch this space, expect reports of people seeing him down the chip shop with Elvis.

Well he did Marry his daughter......

Coincidence??????

Many good people died yesterday, who contributed much to many societies. It is a shame that this one person gets all of this attention. His passing is no more important than the many others lost to their families and friends.

themusicalrentboy

Many good people died yesterday, who contributed much to many societies. It is a shame that this one person gets all of this attention. His passing is no more important than the many others lost to their families and friends.

on simple terms I would agree, but the impact MJ had on so many people's lives means he is a very important loss to some people. For example, my mum listened to Don't stop me now by Queen, and Thriller by Jacko while she was having me - he must be some artist to overcome the pain in the bum (or elsewhere :eek:) that I was

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
on simple terms I would agree, but the impact MJ had on so many people's lives means he is a very important loss to some people. For example, my mum listened to Don't stop me now by Queen, and Thriller by Jacko while she was having me - he must be some artist to overcome the pain in the bum (or elsewhere :eek:) that I was

Absolutely.

Although I find myself questioning the tense at the end ;)

I watched in misunderstanding at the emotion when Elvis died ( I was only 6), felt it when Freddie Mercury died in 1991 and I can fully appreciate how people are feeling now. The Jackson / Quincy Jones collaboration was (or is?) insurmountable genius....and music is the universal language of everything, including emotion. It's that that reaches out and touches the world - the sphere of influence is massive...on a more local level, of course, Independent Silver Band is correct...any loss is equally tragic.

Anno Draconis

:clap: A voice of reason, thankfully.

His death is sad, but far from the "personal tragedy" that so many people around the world seem to want to make it. I grow more and more concerned at the self induclgence of people who seem to want some sort of vicarious release through sharing in a grief that doesn't really belong to them. I've heard people ringing radio phone-ins crying - get a grip, for goodness' sake.

Creatively you could argue that he was lost to his fans many years ago. He hadn't released an album in 8 years, and arguably hadn't released a decent one in 18 years. He hadn't toured for years, and there were questions as to whether he was going to be fit enough to play the O2 dates. The loss of his physical presence in the world, while a sad day for fans, doesn't signify a loss of potential future genius from the guy and may actually protect his musical legacy from becoming further tainted by the farcical circus that seemed to surround Jackson's life over the last decade.

The sort of spontaneous celebration that took place in Trafalgar Square last night seems far healthier, and more appropriate, to me - fans singing his best songs and remembering the guy when he was in his pomp and ruled the pop world. Seems to me that when a creative artist dies, one should put at least as much (maybe more) effort into celebrating their life and their art as one puts into mourning their demise.

Last edited:

Thirteen Ball

One thing I just can't wrap my head round.

How does a guy who sold seven hundred and fifty million records die broke? And not just broke, owing $300m in a loan he secured to pay off his debts!

Unless he a) had no clue whatsoever as to the value of money or b) was mercilessly exploited by those around him.

A combination of the two is not unlikely either.

themusicalrentboy

One thing I just can't wrap my head round.

How does a guy who sold seven hundred and fifty million records die broke? And not just broke, owing $300m in a loan he secured to pay off his debts!

Unless he a) had no clue whatsoever as to the value of money or b) was mercilessly exploited by those around him.

A combination of the two is not unlikely either.

I suspect it was more B than A.

and the whole child abuse thing, I agree with John Martin that I think it was someone smelling an opportunity for a big wad of cash from a superstar, and playing on MJ's strange personality to make it more believable

brassneck

To be honest, I've felt pity for Michael Jackson for years. His unrealistic lifestyle and opinions were not put into check by the entourage that accompanied him. It feels to me that the freak that became of this person might have actually been encouraged as a means of maintaining his contraversal public image when his musical prowess was declining. Whether he was a victim or not really only can be answered by his friends and advisors.

ian perks

I never was and never have been a MJ fan at all.
On Thursday i was remembering my father who died 3 years ago rather than all the radio,tv coverage on MJ.